What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit Backordered Parts

psvalentine

Is anyone else waiting for a significant number of parts from the finish kit?
If so, how long have you been waiting and any info as to when to expect them?

I'm talking so many parts we can't proceed. We were able to build the doors. But nothing else. The hinges are backordered. So we can't complete the final fitting to the cabin cover.

After looking through the rest of the chapters, there is basically nothing else to be done till we get some parts.

I just received my Finish Kit shipping invoice. I should know sometime next week what's backordered.

I heard from VANS yesterday. The long list of BO's parts are all overdue with no end in sight.
Hopefully soon was the estimation. Some were due in Jan of this year.
Something as simple as the hinges would go a long ways in allowing us to continue.
No seats. No nose gear and it's components. Tons of other things. List too long

Luckily, I ordered the doors with my fuselage kit. Doesn't help much now without hinges. It hurts not having the nosegear. I deleted a lot of items from the Finish kit. I've got enough to keep me busy for a few months. Then I might start painting.

I am in the some place. Lots of backordered items. The hinge are hanging me up big time. Someone said, they need nose gear. I need main gear and seats, and other things although I don't need the seats till later.

I am in the some place. Lots of backordered items. The hinge are hanging me up big time. Someone said, they need nose gear. I need main gear and seats, and other things although I don't need the seats till later.

Exactly what we're missing. We're basically stalled. We spent today cutting carpet. Totally out of sequence. But it was fun to see what it will look like finished. A roll of indoor outdoor carpeting from Home Depot for 24.50.

The distressing thing about the backordered items, is so ETA from VAns. They don't seem to know.

My question is how are we supposed to finish the plane? Also, they were fine taking the money for a kit that is only a partial.

A roll of indoor outdoor carpeting from Home Depot for 24.50.

May I suggest you set a small piece of it on fire before you commit to putting it in your airplane? If you're gonna use non-aviation certified carpet in your airplane, you really need to check the specifications. You want Nylon yarn and a "Class 1" fire rating. I'd give you 10:1 odds that whatever you bought at that price doesn't meet either of those spec's.

May I suggest you set a small piece of it on fire before you commit to putting it in your airplane? If you're gonna use non-aviation certified carpet in your airplane, you really need to check the specifications. You want Nylon yarn and a "Class 1" fire rating. I'd give you 10:1 odds that whatever you bought at that price doesn't meet either of those spec's.

Thank you for the information. I had not considered that.

My RV-10 Finish Kit Delivered on Monday. Most of the 254 lb weight was the crate and main gear legs. I do have all the landing gear fiberglass parts which will only take up space and a massive amount of lot of brown paper.
Luckily I have my doors to work on which I ordered when they were available and Vans shipped them with my fuselage.

A friend of mine ordered all the kits for a RV-14A just as Covid hit. Perfect timing as he got everything quickly, built at his house with his wife and has been flying 18 months.

This doesn’t bode well for mine which just went to crating…. I’m many, many hours away from needing it, but still…

I’m still waiting on some back ordered fuselage parts.

This doesn’t bode well for mine which just went to crating…. I’m many, many hours away from needing it, but still…

I’m still waiting on some back ordered fuselage parts.

Woohoo. Getting 4 backordered parts for my RV10. Nothing of any use to me at this point. The wheel pants, gear elastomer and some random axle flange.
But at least it's something.

Back