What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check your CS prop “low pitch” stops

I didn’t go through this entire thread to see if it was mentioned, but, I finally set my low pitch stop and not only did I get a better glide rate, but, I can now reduce my rpm’s below 2300 without it getting rough. I’m not sure why this would effect low rpm’s, but it did make them smoother. I normally kept prop at 2400 or higher for smooth rides, not any more.

I didn’t go through this entire thread to see if it was mentioned, but, I finally set my low pitch stop and not only did I get a better glide rate, but, I can now reduce my rpm’s below 2300 without it getting rough. I’m not sure why this would effect low rpm’s, but it did make them smoother. I normally kept prop at 2400 or higher for smooth rides, not any more.
This is so weird that I’d give Hartzell a call, see if they have any explanation.

Hi Tom,

Would you mind sharing the task list sequence you did to make the adjustments? From the thread I understood what the activities are but I am trying to figure the order of the adjustments.

Thanks!
My preferred way to set the Low pitch stops is to first fly the plane and see if you can get 2700 rpm on climb out. if you can’t, go ahead and make a governor adjustment. It’s about 30RPM per revolution of the governor screw. Then after you can get 2700 in climb, cruise ect.. then I would pull the spinner and do the low pitch stops. You might have to pull the front bulkhead too if you can’t get a wrench on the 9/16 bolt. You can’t use a socket, as you really need to hold the nit while turning the alan wrench. I find almost every Hartzell on an RV seems to take 2 1/3 turn on the Alan key clockwise to produce 2650RPM.
Shoot me a message with your phone number and I’ll call you and talk you through it. It’s super easy.

Back