What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aviation Laboratories - 3 Month Delay for Oil Analysis Results

Need a good alternative to Aviation Labs ...

AV Labs has updated their website ... at first I thought that was a good sign. They had so many test kits alternatives on the new website, I couldn't figure out which one to order. I called down there and talked to the rep for my region. After I explained I needed to know which test kit to order to test both oil and filter, he went on and on with a long winded sales pitch about the importance of testing both .... I listened as politely as I could, then finally interrupted to tell him again I just wanted to know which kit to order. He finally told me and I ordered it from the website after hanging up. I got a printable order confirmation from them immediately thereafter.
Today, after 11 days of waiting for my mail-in test kit, I called to find out the status. I eventually get the same long-winded guy who tells me that just because I have an order confirmation does NOT mean he has the order. He says, "That order must be printed out and placed in my order list before it can be filled". When I asked indignantly if he expected me to do that, he said no, someone from billing has to do that. Then he proceeded on another long-winded ... and defensive ... story about how their process works.
Av Labs is quite clearly "wrapped around the axle". What other options exist to get both oil and filter tested?

I have talked and talked with these people and finally came to the conclusion they don't want the GA business and that they have poor management. I am now using up the kits I purchased from them in advance BUT since I am in Phoenix I can hand deliver them. They lost the last two kits I mailed to them in their mailing container.

Blackstone Labs

I have been using Blackstone Labs. My first one took about 2 weeks. My last one was back in less than a week.

I really like the report and the comments. Very personal response. Below are the comments on my last report:

"DARYL: Nice improvement in wear. This is a good sign that your new engine is progressing past wear-in and things should continue to look better in the next oil change or two. Normally by the time an engine reaches ~75 hours, wear metals have settled down to average and you're already there for everything except iron. Silicon didn't improve as much as we would have liked, though we aren't worried about it so much. If it doesn't drop next time, you might want to check the air filter. Also if you use DOW-4 around the oil filter that can cause it too. In any case, nice report."

You feel like you have a relationship with Blackstone. I'm going to stay with them.

Blackstone sounds great for oil samples ...

Their website is silent on filter testing. Do we know for certain they do not test filters too?

Just and idea . . .

I don't know what results you are seeking, but for my cars I buy a prepaid container from Caterpillar dealer (you can get them from John Deere too) and it even pays postage. I get all wear metals and could get TBN for an extra price. The last batch i bought was around $14 each. Sorry, I don't have a current price. I put it in the mail box and get an email reply in about a week. The paper copy comes later.

Just a thought, you may want to see if this service might fit your needs. I plan to use it for my plane when completed. Oh - one issue is the high lead content from fuel will blow away bearing lead measurements.

$0.00 ?

I never did receive results from the sample I sent in to AV Labs over a year ago. Not worth chasing it down.

I have been using Blackstone Labs on my cars for many years and will use them for the airplane from now on, too. As others have said: quick results and some insightful comments from Blackstone.

Aviation Oil Analysis

According to the text at Aircraft Spruce, AOA's lab is in Phoenix. That implies they are a different entity than Aviation Labs, whose lab is in Kenner, LA.
I'm going with Blackstone; already ordered a test kit from them. Not only are they nearby, but the testimonals here in VAF are consistently good.

Aviation Labs

I sent a sample in on June 2012. Haven't heard a word, no results on website. The kits I still have will go in the trash. Really outrageous when you think about it.

Doug M

I talked to these guys at Sun N Fun. They say it is a USPS issue. They are now including a FedEx label with each sample kit. If it is a USPS issue, that should fix it.

Back