What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANDAIR vs. stock VAN's fuel selector valve

Well the stock valve is already sitting in your parts box, and the Andair (a beautiful piece of work, and I have one in one airplane) is available when it is available. I put an Andair in the RV-8 when I built it twenty years ago because they were easy to get and a nice upgrade. All the rest of our planes have the Van’s tractor valve because I figured out that they really do what needs to be done and are available, inexpensive, and easy to service.

Like Paul mentions, "it's cheap and it works". The BIG advantage of a builder or rebuilder is that you can make your aircraft very easy to maintain. Or you can make it very difficult.

Looking at the Andair fuel valve, it looks like you must remove it from the plumbing to service the valve.... Van's valve can be serviced in place with a phillips and and open end wrench. Back off the handle screw 2 turns, pull up on the handle to free it from the taper, unscrew the cap of the valve and lift out.

There are only two "O" rings to replace and you can purchase them at Lowe's or ACE.... If you don't need a complicated expensive valve to switch tanks, there is no need to spend the money.
andair.JPG
ANDAIR VALVE

Last edited:
I found the Van's valve to be stiff to turn and leaky as well as having weak detents for left and right tank. I fitted an Andair valve because it is just better and haven't had to service it in 15 years.

The Andair valve has some nifty teflon seals that are pressed into the brass threaded inserts in the ports. These seal against the spool valve. The detent system has a keyed adapter that holds 2 springs. These depress against stainless balls that ride in the valve housing. Turn the handle, turns the shaft, wich turns the detent adapter which depresses the springs. Once the handle is selected to the port, the springs expand, the balls find the little depressions in the valve housing, and your done.

The Brass valve, made by Imperial or Anderson, has a similar thought, but simpler parts.

Tom

Attachments

• Andair port insert 1.jpg
    Andair port insert 1.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Andair port insert 2.jpg
    Andair port insert 2.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Detent system.jpg
    Detent system.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 54
The Andair one feels great, there’s a saftey that you have to lift to turn it to the OFF position. Much safer in my opinion. However the stock Vans one has an extra position incase you ever wanted to add AUX fuel..

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of using the stock VAN's fuel selector valve versus buying the ANDAIR valve?
16 years, 1515 hours, trucking right along. Disassemble and lube every couple years when it feels stiff, otherwise no issues of any sort.

16 years, 1515 hours, trucking right along. Disassemble and lube every couple years when it feels stiff, otherwise no issues of any sort.

If this is for Van's original, I agree! Fuel lube on the plunger every other condition inspection unless it feels good, then leave it alone until it starts to stiffen up. I don't believe I have ever had to replace the "O" rings either and no leaks. I have some just in case. Got them at JAX Farm and Ranch supply. Simple.

If this is for Van's original, I agree! Fuel lube on the plunger every other condition inspection unless it feels good, then leave it alone until it starts to stiffen up. I don't believe I have ever had to replace the "O" rings either and no leaks. I have some just in case. Got them at JAX Farm and Ranch supply. Simple.

Fuel lube makes it feel brand new!! Except when you climb up to 17,500, intentionally run a tank dry, then discover the valve got so cold that fuel lube gets really stiff, I could barley move it! Most of the time it’s fine, but fuel lube isn’t for cold weather! I bought some Kryox that was recommended,, I’m looking forward to washing out the valve and using Kryox next time!

The Andair is expensive and has a long backlog, but once you have it and you use it, you'll be happy. "Buy the best and you only cry once."

The Andair is expensive and has a long backlog, but once you have it and you use it, you'll be happy. "Buy the best and you only cry once."

+++++ The Andair valve a is top quality valve for sure. The Cozy MKIV plans had us use the valve Van’s provides. When it got stiff and started to dribble after around 5 years of service, we replaced with Andair and never looked back. Put one in my RV-10 when I built it and also in my RV-9A. The bezel and handle/pointer will impress most everyone.

Going Through "Off" Position - Worth It?

One thing not mentioned is that Van's "Tractor" valve (was made by Weatherhead - an Ag supplier) goes through an "off" position when transitioning from Left to Right tanks. Not necessarily always a good thing.

The Andair valve is designed to Part 23 Standards, which says the valve will not go through an off position when changing tanks - which means, if, for some reason the valve became stuck in some intermediate position (other than past the "off" detent) you would still have access to fuel.

I have had both types, and in over 34 years of RV flying, I'm glad my current valve is Andair.

YMMV - But the Van's valve will always go through "off" on the way by.

HFS

My First Thought

One thing not mentioned is that Van's "Tractor" valve…goes through an "off" position when transitioning from Left to Right tanks. Not necessarily always a good thing.

HFS[/QUOTE

From a pro and con standpoint, this might be the stock valve’s biggest con.
However, this “con” doesn’t seem to be an issue in practice.
I believe that the current Van’s valve replaced an older valve long ago that was more prone to galling and binding.

IMHO: the Andair valve is better and nicer but only worth considering if the look and feel float your boat. The stock valve is functionally “good enough.”

"One thing not mentioned is that Van's "Tractor" valve…goes through an "off" position when transitioning from Left to Right tanks. Not necessarily always a good thing. From a pro and con standpoint, this might be the stock valve’s biggest con."

Van's fuel valve can be installed with 90 deg. L to R. Or 180 deg. L to R. It's up to the installer. there are three inlets that are horizontal and one vertical outlet. You can connect three tanks or just two and plug off the one not in use.
fuel valve.JPG

Last edited:
"One thing not mentioned is that Van's "Tractor" valve…goes through an "off" position when transitioning from Left to Right tanks. Not necessarily always a good thing. From a pro and con standpoint, this might be the stock valve’s biggest con."

Van's fuel valve can be installed with 90 deg. L to R. Or 180 deg. L to R. It's up to the installer. there are three inlets that are horizontal and one vertical outlet. You can connect three tanks or just two and plug off the one not in use.
View attachment 44056

Andair also has the option for either 90 degrees or 180. Plus other options (3 tanks, 4 tanks...)

https://www.andair.co.uk/category/fuel-selectros-three-eighth-inch/

My Andair selector has been trouble-free for nearly 12 years, not to mention it looks IMO about a thousand times better :).

Back