What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

.120” ss rod for cowl pins

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I’m in need of 6 ft of .120” ss round rod for cowl hinge pins. I know Van’s has some but it’s much easier to acquire from McMasterCarr in my area. Looking at their website, I’m surprised I can’t find something suitable. Anybody order some .120” rod for cowl pins and have a part number they could share?
Thanks Ron

I’m in need of 6 ft of .120” ss round rod for cowl hinge pins. I know Van’s has some but it’s much easier to acquire from McMasterCarr in my area. Looking at their website, I’m surprised I can’t find something suitable. Anybody order some .120” rod for cowl pins and have a part number they could share?
Thanks Ron

You can buy it from Vans as in the previous reply.

I bought mine from a local store called McFadden-Dale. It is well stocked with hard to find hardware. It has a website but I don't think the website has the complete inventory. BTW, I could not find the same piano wires from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks , but I was hoping for Stainless Steel not just tooling steel unless tooling steel is ss?

I bought two two-foot lengths from McMaster for the vertical hinges lower cowl to firewall, dia 0.125" +/-0.001, 304SS, B75 hardness, PN 89535K16, available 6" to 6'.

I'm happy with the 0.125 diameter. YMMV.

There's also dia 3 mm -0.04/+0 which is .01173" +/- 0.0008, 304SS, B80 hardness, PN 1272T33, available 1, 1-1/2, 3, and 6'.

I have 1/8” (.125” available locally) but I find the .120” goes in difficult enough. I’m using my pins retrofitting another’s cowling. Had to steel mine back to go flying today.

Back