Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2020, 12:36 AM

Default Maintain those tailwheels

quick reminder - keep the tailwheel in good shape.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20200304X54241

Quote:
NTSB Identification: CEN20CA114

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Aircraft: Vans RV8
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot of the tailwheel-equipped airplane reported that he made a normal landing approach to the runway with a direct crosswind of 15 knots and gusts reaching 23 knots. The pilot reported that he was initially able to maintain directional control with normal flight control inputs after the airplane touched down on the main landing gear; however, when the tailwheel touched down the tail began to weathervane and the airplane veered to the right. The pilot was unable to regain directional control with an application of full left rudder and left brake before the airplane departed the right side of the runway and struck a precision approach path indicator lights (PAPI) system. The left wing, left horizontal stabilizer, and left elevator were substantially damaged during the collision with the PAPI system. A postaccident examination and functional test of the steerable tailwheel revealed that the spring-actuated key slide would stick in the retracted position within the tailwheel fork, which allowed the tailwheel to caster instead being steerable within the normal limits intended for takeoff and landing. Additional examination revealed that the slot in the tailwheel fork that held the spring-actuated key slide was slightly deformed, and that the key had several raised edges that caused the key to bind when fully retracted in the slot. It is likely that the tailwheel was able to caster during landing, which resulted in the pilot's inability to maintain directional control after the tailwheel had touched down during landing roll.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:54 AM

The maintenance instructions I got when I replaced mine with the Condor says to remove and grease that pin every 6 months.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:48 AM

I would suggest cleaning, inspecting, and lubricating every 25 hours, or six months, whichever comes first. This is a high wear item that needs attention to keep it working right. It is also a good idea to have a spare pin, and ?arm? in inventory as they do wear out.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 04-09-2020, 06:36 AM

Is a 15 kts gusting to 23 kts direct crosswind normal for an RV8? Could all of the tail wheel damage have been done on that landing?

Based on my C195 experience those winds are unacceptable for a tailwheel but I haven?t flown my RV8 yet either.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
Is a 15 kts gusting to 23 kts direct crosswind normal for an RV8? Could all of the tail wheel damage have been done on that landing?

Based on my C195 experience those winds are unacceptable for a tailwheel but I haven?t flown my RV8 yet either.
I would have been comfortable with that wind level in my RV4 & have landed in similar conditions many times with no trouble.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Direct 15 G25? I think the goal is knowing how to do it, and how to avoid proving it.

Tailwheel maintenance:

https://www.danhorton.net/Articles/1...lTuneUp.pd.pdf
Old 04-09-2020, 08:30 AM

I've had enough failures in various tailwheel airplanes to never assume the TW is functioning correctly. In gusty conditions this means one must get slowed down aggressively.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:32 AM

After having this problem occur while on a trip I carry a spare pin in my traveling kit, along with a small file.

Regarding crosswind capability, this topic has come up in several previous threads that tend to escalate into increasingly dubious claims. My favorite is post #21in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ght=g54&page=3
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carroll View Post
After having this problem occur while on a trip I carry a spare pin in my traveling kit, along with a small file.

Regarding crosswind capability, this topic has come up in several previous threads that tend to escalate into increasingly dubious claims. My favorite is post #21in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ght=g54&page=3
Yep....that is a good one.

I landed my RV-6 with 19ktsG26 burbling over buildings and hangars within 10* of straight across the runway and decided I didn't want to do that again. Nothing bent but it was kinda noisy.....

The tailwheel pin needs to be inspected every Condition Inspection and burrs filled off the edges of the pin. If the pin is kept in good condition and lubed it should be very reliable.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Direct 15 G25? I think the goal is knowing how to do it, and how to avoid proving it.

Tailwheel maintenance:

https://www.danhorton.net/Articles/1...lTuneUp.pd.pdf
Dan is spot on!

I have landed mine in a 32 knot direct crosswind, one time!
The controller watching me said he had his hand on the crash button the entire time.

While I can do it and practice whenever there is a crosswind, there is a huge pucker factor but an RV can handle some amazing crosswinds.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html