- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Red Cube Bracket

Getting ready to mount red cube to divider on flying RV-7A.

So is consensus when mounting to divider with steel fittings, that an additional bracket is needed ?

Ordered adapters and new shorter hose from TS Flightlines this week.
Thanks for help/guidance Tom
Old 09-08-2020, 06:37 PM

Tom and I are very excited to announce the release of our new FT-60 Fuel Flow Transducer Brackets. We have been working on this project for quite awhile and have aimed to make it simple to install as well as to provide a uniform mounting location with a minimum of hose plumbing changes required for the installation.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-7.html

We also put in a very detailed measurement section in the install guide as a new hose from the servo to the transducer will be required.

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF...er%20Mount.pdf

Happy building!!!!!

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Ooooh! This looks interesting. Can you post some pictures zoomed out a little bit? Also, the video? on the website isn't loading, it complains about a flash plugin version.

Are the holes in the sides for bolts? They seem larger than the holes in the transducer itself and in the pics look like they don't quite line up?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
Ooooh! This looks interesting. Can you post some pictures zoomed out a little bit? Also, the video? on the website isn't loading, it complains about a flash plugin version.

Are the holes in the sides for bolts? They seem larger than the holes in the transducer itself and in the pics look like they don't quite line up?
We don't have any pictures at the moment that show more of a distanced shot. We will see if we can get some as more of these start to get installed.

The flash error is the photo gallery of a few images. Without flash installed, those won't show. However, the install manual has quite a few pictures of the brackets and the installation. The photo gallery doesn't have anything in it noteworthy that isn't in the PDF manual.

Regarding the holes in the sides for the bolts....those are intentionally larger than the holes in the transducer. You have a lot of variables at play in this installation. One of the big ones is the exact amount that the NPT fittings are screwed in. 1/8 turn one way or another would easily yield a situation where the horizontal distance between the transducer and the mount holes would not work. So, those holes are oversized to allow for that variance.

The same thing with the alignment..what you are seeing there is before the hole from the bracket to the case is tightened. That hole is slotted slightly long and wide to allow for up/down and left/right movement of the bracket before securing. That allows you to get everything all lined up and then tighten the assemblies down to clamp the transducer in place.

Steve

www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks for working on this!

Any reports from others running AFP and this bracket? I'm hoping this red cube setup will cause the idle stumble to go away?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
Awesome! Thanks for working on this!

Any reports from others running AFP and this bracket? I'm hoping this red cube setup will cause the idle stumble to go away?
The bracket is brand new, but we have been running this Transducer location setup for quite awhile. Some builders were fabricating their own brackets, while others were utilizing just the fittings to hang the transducer in that location.

We will get more pictures over the next few weeks as we begin to send these out.

Take care,
Steve

www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 AM

All---Last in a series of comments on this---for right now. I personally have a year in this project since we helped Chris with his install and got thinking about a bracket. Before that, MANY installs worldwide with zero issues that we know of.
Let me say that this bracket is a TIGHT FIT. Especially for the Lycoming 75009 divider mount. This may not be the perfect solution, but one that may bridge the gap. Chris' bent metal version is great for a one-off deal, but we were going to have issues making one of those repeatable for everyone. Let me say here that we might have been able to make a slightly different mounting plate to be used in conjunction with the 75009 bracket to make this easier. Hindsight is fabulous.
The Lycoming 75009, places the flow divider offset aft towards the accessory case .250 inches from center as measured from the inlet. So a slightly different mounting plate riveted to the original mount that moves the divider forward the .250 inches and aligns the inlet with the case center bolt boss between the cylinders, like the AFP version, would be great. BUT, potential disassembly, moving and possibly damaging the injector lines, and more complexity made us try and come up with a compromise solution. WE wanted a strong bracket, so 6061T6 CNC milled to fit both the transducer and the divider bracket, and bolted to the case was conceived. Looks alittle wierd, but actually pretty lightweight. Red anodised.
Yes we did make the side holes slightly oversize to allow some movement during assembly to compensate for different engine tollerances. The whole project was tough to do, especially at a long distance, and the setbacks of my personal loss moved the timeline back several months. I did the concept, Steve took those ideas and did the drawings and then 3D printed the early prototypes. 3D printers are great! Steve sent me several versions of each style to play with, cut up and modifiy until we closed in on something that resembles what you see here.
So---in working with the Lycoming mount version, we found that there was no way to access the center aft bolt to mount the bracket to the case. Well gee, that was the whole point to begin with. So after thinking about it and saying several inapropriate words, we came up with the forward facing slot, so a wrench could access the bolt. It works, is tight, but works. I've installed this on my mockup engine case a BUNCH, but it still takes a while, so TAKE YOUR TIME. Loosen things up so all the components can move around alittle.
I found that when connecting the 90* outlet fitting of the transducer to the flowdivider straight fitting, a slight amount of downward pressure seems to work well. Seems the metal Lycoming bracket will flex slightly.

The development of this isnt stopping here. I'm sure that we'll hear about it from you guys, take your input, and quite possibly comeup with something else. Such is the experimental aviation life. I'd like to make a single bracket that fits both version applications, but several other components would have to be developed to make that happen. In fact-I'm already thinking about it. But we have to start somewhere---and here we are.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-09-2020, 10:06 AM

Wow, you guys really out did yourselves and the result looks fantastic. Any new thoughts for those of us that have the AFP FM100 (the one with the purge valve)? I still struggle with my setup but haven't come up with anything that seems better. Tom, I know we've gone over this a few times.
David
Roseville, Ca
Old 09-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Hi Dave--actually am thinking about it. Amongst about 200 other things!!!!
LOL----I told you I'd come up with something, and I will.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 09-09-2020, 10:15 PM

It is perfect Tom. Thanks for coming up with a good solution. 9 of every 10 other components all require modification. Even from big name makers of stuff that frankly we should not have to modify. Some of them should be ashamed quite honestly. I have thrown away hundreds of dollars of **** parts of other plane components. So the fact that you two thoughtfully built in flexibility is absolutely a leap ahead of 90% of everything else. To say that we have to use a bit of finesse when installing your solution should be done with pride and confidence in craftsmanship. Well done, and thanks. Just weather the critiques with a smile. You’ve done good here.