Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithflys23 View Post
Using a straight edge, I’ve discovered that my right flap is lower than the left. It’s about a 3/8” gap, VS a 1/4” or less gap on the right flap. The problem that I see, is that the flap is all the way against the fuselage fairing. I guess that need to be removed and re-fit? Is that possible without drilling a bunch of new holes?

Attachment 11643
Ignore the fairing for now (the fairing may be misleading). Is the bottom of each flap up tight against the bottom of the fuselage? If so then done. If the low flap is up as high as it can go, then you have option to lower the other flap to match. This may not be your final fix but it will help isolate the heavy wing issue.

After you address the flaps, not go look at the ailerons.

Carl
Old 07-18-2021, 04:24 PM

I've got a heavy left wing as well. It's been this way since I bought the plane 4 years ago. As I did not build the plane I'm looking for someone who can help perform the required corrective work with/for me.

The left wing is heavy even with full corrective mechanical trim, which is the position the manual trim lever is always kept at. In this fully-trimmed condition, the roll tendency balances out after using ~8-9 gallons of fuel from the left tank after started with full tanks. The plane is certainly completely flyable as is, but it handles even better when the roll imbalance is fully balanced out.

I've read the Van's corrective procedure, done the straight edge check, and believe some of the aileron hinges may need adjustment and the aileron linkages could also use a bit of adjustment.

I just don't have the tools or aircraft modification experience to perform this work myself in the manner and timeframe in which I would like it done.

I'm based in Durango, CO and will gladly fly to wherever I need to in order to get this work performed. Please kindly PM me with any suggestions.

Tom

==================================
RV-8 N269CP
O-360-A1A w/Hartzell CS prop on 100LL
Slick-IC+PMag ignitions
Steam gauges
EI UBG-16, FP-5, & MUX-8A datalogger
Garmin Aera 660
TruTrak ADI Pilot II (GPS coupled)
Garmin GDL39 3D ADSB-In
uAvionix Tailbeacon ADSB-Out
Infinity grip w/Matronics trim speed control
Reiff preheater system
TCW oil cooler air damper w/servo drive
AntiSplat oil mist separator
Mountain High O2D1 O2 system

Old 07-19-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom @ N269CP View Post
I've got a heavy left wing as well. It's been this way since I bought the plane 4 years ago. As I did not build the plane I'm looking for someone who can help perform the required corrective work with/for me.

The left wing is heavy even with full corrective mechanical trim, which is the position the manual trim lever is always kept at. In this fully-trimmed condition, the roll tendency balances out after using ~8-9 gallons of fuel from the left tank after started with full tanks. The plane is certainly completely flyable as is, but it handles even better when the roll imbalance is fully balanced out.

I've read the Van's corrective procedure, done the straight edge check, and believe some of the aileron hinges may need adjustment and the aileron linkages could also use a bit of adjustment.

I just don't have the tools or aircraft modification experience to perform this work myself in the manner and timeframe in which I would like it done.

I'm based in Durango, CO and will gladly fly to wherever I need to in order to get this work performed. Please kindly PM me with any suggestions.
If you donít get any replyís, and youíre willing to fly a few hours, Synergy air in Oregon would likely be able to help subject to their availability. They are experts in RVís.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Anyone have any data on how a gopro on the opposite wing will affect a "heavy wing?" Or if someone was fully balanced, and they added a gopro, what effect did it have?
Old 07-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom @ N269CP View Post

If you want to fly to Chicago, I can do it. I helped a new RV owner go through the same thing with the aircraft he purchased. His heavy wing is gone and picked up several knots as well (P/O had over an inch of flap deployed on one side to overcome the tendency.

Larry