to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2022, 11:14 PM

Default Engine pre-heat guidelines

Greetings!

My 9A is my first airplane. Today, I pulled it out of its unheated hangar for my first cold weather start. It was a struggle, but eventually I got it started. I have an Earthx battery, and it performed well.

So, I think I should install an engine pre-heater, and it looks like the E-Z Heat from Aircraft Spruce is a reasonable choice. Not sure if the 440 with the 4"x4"x1/32" pad is what I should get or the 441 with the 3-7/8"x5"x1/32" pad.

Any thoughts? Other cold weather tips? Should it be on all the time, or can I use it on a timer to reduce energy costs? I'm located in the Vancouver BC area.

TiA

Mike
Old 11-10-2022, 04:11 AM

Smile Engine oil heater

I have an EZ oil heater since 2005 on my IO-360 and it works well.
It heats the oil and the oilpan but it can´t heat the entire engine.
This means that the upper parts will be cold while the oilpan is warm.
If you leave it on 24/7 you may get water condensation in the upper parts
inside the engine. Not what you want.
I use the EZ heater below +5 C for 1 h.
If it gets below -0 C, for 2 h.
My experience is that cold wether, you need to prime more.
A cellphone operated relay can be a good idea.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2022, 04:38 AM

Default Read this first

This thread is probably worth reading first.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=170710

I personally wouldn’t run a sump heater without a crankcase dehydrator, especially if you are running AVGAS, which is terrible because it deposits salts inside the crankcase.

Tom.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:05 AM

I just have a dual 200W pad Rief heater that gets the oil up above “cold” to “warm” after an hour or two. I use cell phone switch to turn it on from home.
I stick a 100w incandescent light bulb up in through the bottom of the cowl and keep that on 24/7 with an old thick comforter draped over top of cowl with cowl plugs. That seems to keeps the engine from getting too cold soaked between flight.
You situation may very significantly based on outdoor winter temps and if in a hangar or not. I live in STL were low temps in winter average about 15-20F with occasional temps down to 0F. I don’t fly if temps are below 0F.

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. —MARK TWAIN
Old 11-10-2022, 05:06 AM

I just finished my 9A. I also needed a sump heater. I have the superior cold air induction and the only heater that fit perfectly was the Reiff hot strips. It may depend on what oil sump you have as to what fits the best.
Mattituck TMXIO-360 red gold
Dues paid May 2022
Old 11-10-2022, 07:39 AM

I have a Reiff XP with bands and sump on a Switcheon cell phone switch (brilliant device - I highly recommend as simplest, most reliable, and cheapest such switch I could find).

The preheater will take my oil from 20° ambient to over 100° in about 3-4 hours. I don't leave it on all the time, I usually call to turn it on the night before a flight. I do have an engine dehydrator that I built because heating/cooling will always take the engine across the dew point.

I also have a Hornet 45 cockpit heater on the same Switcheon device. That takes my ConforFoam seats from stiff-as-a-board to comfy and toasty in short order.

This is Minnesota. Preheating is serious business ��.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 11-10-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:59 AM

Remove your oil cap, plug in 24 hrs, cover the engine with a sleeping bag. - entirely warm engine, no moisture. Immediately remove oil cap each flight all year to vent the xs moisture. 50w Kats pad heater- overall engine compartment temps of 80 - 100 pending oat. my .02 after many years of success.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:17 AM

Smile +1 on Kat's

In the hangar with an old blanket over the cowl an auto oil sump heater works fine. You can prove this empirically-- just look at your engine monitor prior to start. For me, all CHTs and oil are within a couple degrees of 70F at 20F OAT. May be different in a more loosely cowled a/c.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:04 AM

I use the Reiff hot-pads on the sump with a cellphone-controlled switch, the Switcheon. As others have noted it works well over 3-4 hours, and even with 2 hours it will get my sump/oil into the 80-90F range.

As a rule I want to see 80 degrees before taxi, and 100 before takeoff.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Repeat Offender - 10 empennage in process.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post

As a rule I want to see 80 degrees before taxi, and 100 before takeoff.
What rpm do you idle at during warm up before taxi?
I always wonder the trade of a bit higher rpm to warm faster and therefore less time at idle or low rpm idling which will take a bit more time to get warm. Or does it matter?

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. —MARK TWAIN