-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:30 AM

Default why do we change our oil filters so often?

Happy Easter Everybody!

lycoming says to change oil with screen at 25 and with spin on filter every 50 hours. oil filters should be replaced all 50 hours and probably most of us stick to that advise, me too. but why?

i see one advantage that is checking the filter for abnormal abrasive on a regular basis. but other than that?

when i look at the large filter area i think that if a filter stops doing it's job due to glogging debris and coked stuff, the engine would have stopped long before.

i don't want to start an oil/filter interval war, just trying to understand our engines.

Kay
Old 04-04-2021, 04:08 AM

The design and history of our engines is the reason. They have 70 plus year old ditch pumps and tractor motors in their history. Low compression, lots of blow by, lots of lead, oil gets contaminated easily compared to modern engines.

Regular oil and filter changes are the cheapest maintenance you will ever do to a Lycoming or Continental and give it a long and healthy life.

We change oil and filter at either 25-30 hours or 6 months whichever is sooner. The calendar time is just as important due to the contaminants in the oil.

Donated in 2020
Old 04-04-2021, 04:26 AM

1) if you donít replace the filter you retain old oil left in filter. putting 6-7 quarts of fresh oil that mixes with the ~1 quart of dirty oil in the filter seems like wasting fresh oil. Before even starting the engine the oil is already 15-20% dirty or think of it already having 15 hours on it.
2) oil filters are cheap, about the same cost as a quart of oil.
3) Gives me something to do while oil drains
4) you canít real make a big oily mess unless you change the filter.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 04-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
We change oil and filter at either 25-30 hours or 6 months whichever is sooner. The calendar time is just as important due to the contaminants in the oil.
Did I miss something?

Hereís what Lycoming recommends in their service letter:

A. 50-hour interval oil change and filter replacement for all engines using a full-flow oil filtration system.

B. 25-hour interval oil change and screen cleaning for all engines employing a pressure-screen system.

C. Even if the aircraft is flown only a few hours, a total of four months maximum between changes for both systems listed under ďAĒ and ďB.Ē
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26
Old 04-04-2021, 09:18 AM

Default oil filters are cheap, about the same cost as a quart of oil?

"oil filters are cheap, about the same cost as a quart of oil."

where? Last aircraft oil filter I bought was $23! The oil was 5.75/quart.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:24 AM

I follow the manufacturers recommendation because I want the engine to perform and last as long as the manufacturers claims. Best way to get the life and performance out of the engine is to follow the manufacturers recommendation.

50 hour oil and filter change sounds reasonable. Most internal combustion engine manufacturers have similar recommendations. Many autos have 10,000 mile oil changes. IF my RV-6 is flying at 180 MPH, the 50 hour change is 50*180=9,000 miles. If only 150 mph, then 50*150=7,500 miles. Toyota has a recommended 10,000 mile oil change on the Prius and GMC has 7,500 mile change on the old 4.3L V6 pickup. John Deere has 100 hour oil and filter change for a Kawasaki engine on the commercial zero turn mower I cut my yard with.

As I get older, I tend to change oil based on calendar time in service before I get the recommended time limit because of lack of use.

Oil and filter is cheap compared to the cost of a replacement engine.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:26 AM

Carlos,

What we do is similar enough... I wouldn't leave oil in for 50 hours unless it was flying daily

Donated in 2020
Old 04-04-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post

50 hour oil and filter change sounds reasonable. Most internal combustion engine manufacturers have similar recommendations. Many autos have 10,000 mile oil changes. IF my RV-6 is flying at 180 MPH, the 50 hour change is 50*180=9,000 miles. If only 150 mph, then 50*150=7,500 miles. Toyota has a recommended 10,000 mile oil change on the Prius and GMC has 7,500 mile change on the old 4.3L V6 pickup. John Deere has 100 hour oil and filter change for a Kawasaki engine on the commercial zero turn mower I cut my yard with.

As I get older, I tend to change oil based on calendar time in service before I get the recommended time limit because of lack of use.

Oil and filter is cheap compared to the cost of a replacement engine.

Our planes have a four month oil change recommendation, but Iíve never seen a time period put on vehicles. Why? Can the time recommendation safely be disregarded?
Old 04-04-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
Our planes have a four month oil change recommendation, but Iíve never seen a time period put on vehicles. Why? Can the time recommendation safely be disregarded?
Most automobiles have a recommendation to change oil at least annually.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-04-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
Actually newer vehicles have a time limit on their oil changes just like our aircraft. Most now have sensors to let you know when it's time to change the oil and the mileage varies with your style of driving (speed, idling time, towing, etc). If you dig into the owners manual, you most likely will find a time limit for the oil change. Either that or it will show up on the dashboard screen as to when you are due regardless of the mileage since the last change. All black magic stuff
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26