-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM

Looking good Dave. Really excited to see this thing come together. Let me know if you need any help. My RV-3 deals all fell through so I'm back on the hunt for a 4 now.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 AM

Will do, Ryan, thanks.

I enjoyed our visit.

Dave
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM

Next up was the Tail Lynx. Nicely-made little devices but I’m not very familiar with the Rocket links and have never flown either. There is some construction and assembly required. I got the parts ready to install, after a bit of shop clean-up prompted by losing one of the key fittings. These are small parts less than half an inch in their longest dimension and, being stainless steel, close in color to my concrete floor. But you know how that works - if I had a painted shop floor the part would be painted to match and blend in just as well. Eventually I found it, got the parts ready for installation, and discovered that somewhere along the way, I lost one of the little spacers. These are even smaller than the key fittings and I’m not bothering to look for it. I have new material on order.

Here are the assembled Tail Lynx.

I brought home the main landing gear and engine mount to get that all set up. I might be getting a bit ahead of things with that, though, if I remember anything more to do on the interior. I ordered Michelin 380x150x5 tires and Michelin Airstop tubes for the wheels from Desser. Back in ’12 when I bought the finish kit, I’d asked that the tires and tubes not be included. My thought was to avoid aging the tires unnecessarily, but now it’s time, nine years later. The other brands of tires in this size are out of stock at Desser, by the way, and I think that a price increase is coming on these, too.

I made a trial installation of the Tail Lynx to verify fit and function. I’ll check with the designer but may shorten their length to reduce the amount of slack before they take effectiveness. This is about the 3/8” extra length that the instructions specify, but of course the RV-3B is a bit smaller than the other models in the line.

They need to come off in any event, because when I install the engine, the shop isn’t long enough for the rudder or tailwheel and tail spring.

The hold-open bracket was delayed a while. You’ve seen it back in post #521, I think. I haven’t installed the bracket before so that I could do other work, but that’s all complete. I riveted on the bracket and then the cover. The left side has a similar cover.

I removed the rest of the tail and the tailspring and tailwheel assembly, along with the Tail Lynx. That's all back in storage.

A couple of friends came by and helped me rotate the fuselage so that the front would be in the light of the generous south-facing windows. Taos, age 11, had never used a non-smartphone camera before, and after a very short briefing, kindly took the photo. That’s Rob on the right and me on the left. This quick, low-key event is the first time the fuselage has been outside.

Last edited by David Paule : 12-05-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:52 PM

I weighed the Michelin 380x150x5 tires and they weigh 3,362 grams and 3,303 grams. Thatís 7 pounds 7 ounces and 7 pounds 5 ounces. The Michelin Airstop tubes, 500-5, weigh 459 grams and 452 grams. They both weigh 1 pound each.

The total rubber weight is 7,576 grams or 16 lbs 11 oz.

With the tires, wheels and brakes mounted on the landing gear legs, and those in the engine mount, the entire assembly was heavy enough that I didnít want to try to lift it to install it as a unit on the fuselage. There was no good reason too anyway, since after a photo Iíd merely have to remove it all again. While it does go on before hanging the engine, thereís a fair bit of work to do before I get to do that. Hereís the main landing gear assembly with all that stuff attached.

What you see weighs 68.5 pounds. One of the wheel, tire, tube and brake assemblies weighs 14.8 pounds.

The wheels have AntiSplatAeroís sealed bearings installed. With these, the axle nut isnít torqued agains the bearing. Instead, they go on till they contact the wheels and then backed off a slight amount, one flat. At the advice my mentor, I am using a thin shim between the nut and the wheel, but maintaining the same specified slight clearance. The shim varies, side to side. I donít recollect which is where, but one is .010 and the other is .030.

I was tempted to put all three landing gear legs on the fuselage and wheel it outside for a photo op, but decided not to waste the time. Instead, to the fuselageís disappointment, I removed the landing gear stuff and took all that back to the hangar. It was the first time the tires were in a real airplane hangar. They didnít say anything but I hope they felt the appropriate appreciation for the honor.

After reading a thread on VAF about Dynon Skyview products being back ordered, I gave Dynon a call. All I want is one 7Ē HDX Skyview and the cable. Iíll also need the 2020 GPS and the backup battery, but not as soon. I donít really need the EFIS right this minute but the Dynon rep explained that they canít get any screens right now and itíll be a while before they do. I donít recollect when he thought theyíd be coming in, because Iíd decided to see if I could find an EFIS at one of the various vendors. Sarasota Avionics, Aircraft Spruce, Pacific Coast Avionics and Gulf Coast Avionics were mentioned. Chief Aircraft and SteinAir seem to be other possible vendors. Of the bunch, Aircraft Spruce had the best price. They said that theyíd have one by December 24th, but there were no other people so far on the waiting list. I ordered it. Like at least one of the other vendors, they offered free shipping.

Iíd made a hardware order recently from them and the hardware is dribbling in, one item ordered per shipment. Itís pretty annoying. For example, I ordered six of the small nutplates for the EFIS and they are coming in over three separate shipments. At least theyíre coming in. I also ordered a bunch of engine installation things from Vanís after bringing home what I had and sorting through it all to assess what I still needed.

Right now Iím going through a bunch of the stuff that accumulates on the workbenches to get the shop cleaned up for the engine. Iíll need to do a bit of rearranging, too. Among other things, the table saw is leaving the shop; thereís just not room for the fuselage, the engine and the table saw. I had several packages of LED shop lights stacked up and got those all hung. Right now thereís about 115-120 lumens per square foot. This appears better than adequate - itís a bright shop.

Dave
Old 12-28-2021, 06:18 PM

With the Dynon Skyview HDX EFIS and its cable in, it all of a sudden became obvious that this was the best time to install it. Since the RV-3B is a small plane, with a small panel, that meant that the other gadgets needed to be installed on the panel first. And also that the panel needed to have its final paint sprayed on. The paint is Rustoleum’s Chalk Charcoal gray. After it dried to the touch, I baked it for two hours at 150F using the oven’s convection feature. I often do this when I want the paint to fully cure rapidly. So far, I haven’t had any problem with that paint, Stewart’s EkoPoxy primer or SEM.

The first thing to put on the panel was the canopy latch’s microswitch.

The microswitch uses #2 screws and the local hardware store didn’t have a broad enough selection, so I went to McMaster. Done.

Then the Trig Ty91 com radio went in, the clock and the airspeed indicator. The slip indicator gave me problem. The only black screws I had that fit were #2, but I didn’t have an Allen wrench that fit them. I didn’t even know that Allen wrenches were made that small. I did have some #3 screws fit and that I had an Allen wrench to, but no nuts. Since I’d been exposed to either a cold or Omicron, I was reluctant to make a hardware store run. What to do…. What I did, was shorten a couple of the longer #2 screws that I’d gotten for the microswitch, prep them with a quick acid bath and cleaning, and spray them and bake them. This worked nicely. Next up, I leveled the fuselage in roll and adjusted the slip indicator. All set.

The only thing remaining was the EFIS. This is the 7” model. It came with some socket head cap screws to mount it. Turns out that the package of Dynon mounting screws that I’d already gotten for this job, have heads that are just slightly too big for the screw recesses in the EFIS anyway. Dynon doesn’t tell us what’s in the box and I hadn’t found an unboxing video on the web, and I hadn’t known. The box does have some sort of a 9-pin connector cable, 10’ long, with zero hint of what to do with it. I guess this is sort of a paragraph of gripes…. Here’s another: several of their Dynon Channel videos on YouTube are based on the pre-HDX Skyviews, with slightly different menu and control designs. Others, intended specifically for the HDX, are primarily oriented for people transitioning from those systems to the newer HDX system. On the plus side, the EFIS did come with a sweet little 3 gig USB thumb drive that contained several HDX training videos. I still need to watch those. But I’m happy for that effort by Dynon.

Back to the EFIS installation now. The EFIS fit the cut-out nicely and the nutplates lined up. I used beeswax to lube the screws as this seems to work just a hair better than the liquid lubricant I’ve used in the past. Here is the panel in the evening of Tuesday, 12-28-21, with the three warning lights above the EFIS and room on the right for either a second 7” Skyview HDX or the iPad mini that I plan to install. If you look way out on the right-hand edge, literally on the edge, you’ll see a small divot. That’s a space for the iPad mini’s charging cable to snake through. Since the front top comes off, there’s easy access to change it or adjust it, if needed, and the hole has half a bushing glued in to ease the cable over the edge. This also permits me to rotate the iPad mini vertically if I should want to.

Incidentally, in person, the panel and the switch panel below it are several shades darker than what my screen shows. Another thing is that when I'm seated in the cockpit, my eyes are well above the panel. The camera was about chest-high for the photo.

When I went to screw the EFIS in, I had a small panic because I couldn’t find the screws. Made all that fuss and now the screws were lost. Losing things is my only special talent and I’d done it right this time. But I got lucky and found them. They’d gotten into the parts bin marked “Dynon mounting hardware,” a very shady move.

I mentioned that I had either a cold or Omicron. I feel just fine now. The symptoms seem to have a lot of overlap. I would have gone for testing, but the local testing facilities were reported as having a two-hour waiting period, just standing in line, and by the time I felt well enough to consider doing that, it didn’t seem worth the effort. So perhaps I got Omicron, if it’s that prevalent, and local reports indicate that it might be. If you’re thinking of visiting Boulder, please consider that.

So far, no longer-term effects and I have no idea which I got, but I sort of think it was probably a cold. I’m vaccinated and boosted and wear masks when I’m out and live alone, and can’t imagine when I might have gotten infected, either way. But there it was.

I hope everyone has a great 2022!

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 12-28-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
The paint is Rustoleumís Chalk Charcoal gray. After it dried to the touch, I baked it for two hours at 150F using the ovenís convection feature.

---------------

and live alone,
Thought so when I read about using the oven for drying paint

OK, serious now, the panel is looking great.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-28-2021, 06:44 PM

Wow those are big tires to put on an RV-3! I have them on my RV-8 and I love them. But at your substantially lower weight, I would think 500x5 would be more than adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I weighed the Michelin 380x150x5 tires and they weigh 3,362 grams and 3,303 grams. Thatís 7 pounds 7 ounces and 7 pounds 5 ounces. The Michelin Airstop tubes, 500-5, weigh 459 grams and 452 grams. They both weigh 1 pound each.

The total rubber weight is 7,576 grams or 16 lbs 11 oz.

Dave
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 12-28-2021, 06:59 PM

I talked with an RV-3B owner who has this combination of the larger main tires and the pneumatic tailwheel tires and loves them. He sometimes uses a turf strip. Since my other plane is a C180 and I've gotten to prefer turf if I can find it (it is scarce around here) I wanted the option. We'll see how it all does.

I did a basic kitchen redo this year, with a new dishwasher, sink, faucet and stove. The stove is a real treat for me, being a serious move upscale. Among other features, it has a relatively large oven, and the panel fits inside. A bit of irony for any irony-lovers reading this.... I ordered the stove in May. In August, I started a serious diet. The stove arrived in October (airplane parts aren't the only things being delayed, folks) and ended the diet on December. I'm still eating a lot less than before - and that means less cooking.

At this moment, the two best tools I own are the Rikon band saw out in the shop, and this stove.

Dave
Old 12-30-2021, 09:35 AM

I really enjoy checking in on your project David. I can't imagine performing all the work that is involved in this project! Incredible!

5500 hours, just WOW! Awesome!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 12-30-2021, 10:43 AM

Thanks!

Dave