What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

i have a similar panel with a g3x touch and garmin gtn 650 like yours, then how do you become adsb out compliant with such equipment? i called stein air and they say that it should be but i tested it on the ground and got no signal
any help appreciated

andres rv8

I forgot to mention that I have a GTX 345 transponder...

PM Sent - happy to help you work through the config changes

Last edited:
How about this...

This applies to the GTNs but there isn?t (I don?t think) a GTN Wish List. But I?ll submit here for the G3X and GTN that in my experience, 90% of the time I push the Direct To Button it is to go to a fix that is in my flight plan. After all, ATC usually clears you to a fix that is in your flight plan. However, after pushing the Direct button I then have to select the Flight Plan Tab to get to the fix I would like to go direct to. I suggest that when selecting the Direct To Button, the default tab is the Flight Plan Tab. Any one agree?:)

Simpler display view options?

I?m on the very steep learning curve on my recently installed G3X panel. This is an upgrade from my original Dynon D100 based panel. The hardest thing I?m finding to adjust to is the incredible amount of info available on the G3X PFD. This is great but...I?m having a hard time seeing the basics. My old D100 was easier to read.

G3X MFD Reversion

Hi

Grounding pin 25 on the MFD d-sub connection causes reversion (duplication) of PFD flight instrumentation onto the MFD. Can this be done from the G3X without adding a switch. I have a 2 G3X panel with screens off center to the left. For the co-pilot, the reversionary mode would be more better as it provides a better view of flight instruments.

Regards

Les

RV10 C-GCWZ sold
RV10 C-GROK flying

Les,
The short answer is yes. I have the same situation and I have a soft key in the upper left of my MFD to switch it to PFD. PFD will then display on both screens. There?s a setting- don?t ask me how I did it though....:cool:

Hi

Grounding pin 25 on the MFD d-sub connection causes reversion (duplication) of PFD flight instrumentation onto the MFD. Can this be done from the G3X without adding a switch. I have a 2 G3X panel with screens off center to the left. For the co-pilot, the reversionary mode would be more better as it provides a better view of flight instruments.

Regards

Les

RV10 C-GCWZ sold
RV10 C-GROK flying

Les,
The short answer is yes. I have the same situation and I have a soft key in the upper left of my MFD to switch it to PFD. PFD will then display on both screens. There?s a setting- don?t ask me how I did it though....:cool:
I would love to know how to do this setting.

I?ve started IFR training in my RV-10 and G3X system and I?m not really happy with the timer. Has anyone ?wished ? for a better option. I would like the timer to stay on the screen and not disappear after 1 minute and it would be great if I could have it as an option for an inset window similar to the G1000. That way it could stay on the screen and not partially block the HSI. I know I can buy a separate timer instead but I would like to be able to better utilize the timer in the G3X touch. Any thought on this one

Kevin

Kudos to Team X

While we are talking G3X features and/or improvements. I have to give kudos to Garmin for adding a menu item to the fuel calculation page allowing the pilot to enter the fuel amount from the gas pump receipt to automatically fine tune the fuel flow K factor. The more samples entered the more precise the fuel flow becomes. In the past having to go into setup screens or do the ratio math to manually adjust the fuel flow was a pain. Now it's effortless to feed the system your value off the fuel receipt at every fill up and let G3X automatically do the fine fuel flow tuning, no special effort required. The competition still has their fuel flow calibration in clumsy setup modes.

Great feature.

I have a GTN 650 and found using the timer there much more useful - larger numbers, didn?t minimize, and really only use the GTN screen for flight plan changes. YMMV

While we are talking G3X features and/or improvements. I have to give kudos to Garmin for adding a menu item to the fuel calculation page allowing the pilot to enter the fuel amount from the gas pump receipt to automatically fine tune the fuel flow K factor. The more samples entered the more precise the fuel flow becomes. In the past having to go into setup screens or do the ratio math to manually adjust the fuel flow was a pain. Now it's effortless to feed the system your value off the fuel receipt at every fill up and let G3X automatically do the fine fuel flow tuning, no special effort required. The competition still has their fuel flow calibration in clumsy setup modes.

Great feature.

Does this work on the non-touch version? Maybe G3Xpert can answer. Also, could you elaborate on exactly how to do this? I am a bit lost on where/when I enter the actual fuel used.

Does this work on the non-touch version? Maybe G3Xpert can answer. Also, could you elaborate on exactly how to do this? I am a bit lost on where/when I enter the actual fuel used.

I don't know if it works in the non-Touch G3X. For the Touch:

Open the standard engine window with all the engine parameters.

Select the Fuel Calculation Tab if it isn't already. The same place you normally go to add fuel gallons after fueling.

While on this Tab, press the hard "Menu" button at the bottom of the bezel. Then select fuel flow calibration option (if I remember right). Then enter the gallons added to top off from the pump receipt in the window and enter.

Jim

Fuel Flow Calculation

This was included in a recent software update for the G3X Touch system only. You will need to manually calculate any changes to the fuel flow K-factor for the non-touch systems.

We are always happy to help calculate the K-factor adjustment, email us at [email protected] with a little information about what you are seeing and we can help generate a K-factor adjustment for you.

Thanks,

Justin

This was included in a recent software update for the G3X Touch system only. You will need to manually calculate any changes to the fuel flow K-factor for the non-touch systems.

We are always happy to help calculate the K-factor adjustment, email us at [email protected] with a little information about what you are seeing and we can help generate a K-factor adjustment for you.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the offer, but I am comfortable doing it. pretty simple calculation. Just thought this was easier, if available. Won't lose sleep over not having the feature.

Larry

Create compatibility with the Garmin Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors so that tire pressure can be monitored on the G3X.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744

I like the idea. The only downside, IMHO, is that the sensors "wake up" when in motion and may take up to 30 seconds of motion to reconnect. Maybe they'd work while taxiing around, if so that would work for me.

Imagine the thrill of a low pressure alarm going off as you're touching down, or even better, taking off ;)

Flap Position Tick Marks

It would be great if you could read the presets from the VPX on flap settings and display tick marks on the G3X screen. Today, that functionality is only available when you run the flaps through the GEA24

It would be great if you could read the presets from the VPX on flap settings and display tick marks on the G3X screen. Today, that functionality is only available when you run the flaps through the GEA24

A workaround would be if the tick marks could be manually set on the G3X, and then it wouldn't have to read from the VP-X.

Enable the G3X touch to provide Bluetooth EIS to Garmin Pilot app.

I'm pretty sure it already does that. I flew yesterday and was surprised to see that EIS is there. All you have to do is use the split screen option and select EIS from the displayable options. Pretty cool because it also includes trending on page 2. :)

Darin, yep flew today and the EIS works. You can also go to the home page and touch the EIS if you want a full screen display.

Since my plane is in a partnership, I'd really like to see User Profiles setup in the G3X and the GTN Xi navigators.
I'm not entirely sure what we'll do when we get it back in terms of changing map/view settings/etc and how one person likes it setup vs another...

Parameters for and Electronic Ignition controller.

I would like to see air-fuel ratio readout and some kind of data stream (or output discrete(s))
for A/F, MAP, CHT and OAT to drive an electronic ignition control module. These parameters could allow a controller to give best power timing, but automatically limit advance with high CHT and/or high OAT.

I would not mind doing the work to calibrate the system, but do not want more knobs to twiddle in flight, every flight.

Thanks.

I would like to see air-fuel ratio readout and some kind of data stream (or output discrete(s))
for A/F, MAP, CHT and OAT to drive an electronic ignition control module.

Other than air/fuel (which requires an O2 sensor?), MAP, CHT, and OAT are already available on the CAN Bus I believe. You just need to tap in and listen.

Other than air/fuel (which requires an O2 sensor?), MAP, CHT, and OAT are already available on the CAN Bus I believe. You just need to tap in and listen.

No, actually, an O2 sensor is not required- We know this because air mass flow can mapped using RPM, MAP, and InManTemp using calibration routine. It is the basis for an open loop speed density fuel system control method. I (as a development engineer) contracted with a controls group to do this on an engine fuel system controller and it was amazingly accurate. In our plane, we could then perform periodic checks at peak EGT to confirm the calibration. It is proven that this is a consistent way of determining A/F with minimal instrumentation.

The O2 sensor can certainly be used for precision, perturbation, drift and changes, but not required.

Fuel flow still has to come from the flow sensor.

Question: Are the Garmin CAN protocols open source or proprietary?

No, actually, an O2 sensor is not required- We know this because air mass flow can mapped using RPM, MAP, and InManTemp using calibration routine. It is the basis for an open loop speed density fuel system control method. I (as a development engineer) contracted with a controls group to do this on an engine fuel system controller and it was amazingly accurate. In our plane, we could then perform periodic checks at peak EGT to confirm the calibration. It is proven that this is a consistent way of determining A/F with minimal instrumentation.

The O2 sensor can certainly be used for precision, perturbation, drift and changes, but not required.

Very coo! Don't most engine computers use an O2 sensor though?

Question: Are the Garmin CAN protocols open source or proprietary?

It conforms to Bosch CAN 2.0-B and ISO 11898.

Very coo! Don't most engine computers use an O2 sensor though?

Most modern systems use RPM, MAT, MAP, and MAF (and CLT for warmup enrichment) for fuel flow and only use the O2 for fuel trimming, which is a fine tuning adjustment. Many only use narrow band O2 sensors, which are only accurate in the near vicinty of stochiometric. They indicate lean or rich of stoch, but no resolution on how much. In these cases, fuel flow outside of the economy range (i.e. acceleration) is purely off of the pre-configured tables.

Without MAF (i.e. speed density), one would have to have a lot of testing and data mapping to build appropriate tables for each engine configuration, but definately doable. It is what I did when I went to a custom EFI for my porsche, though I had wide band O2 to provide testing feedback. This was how early EFI worked.

Larry

Last edited:
I've got a simple upgrade that from a developer perspective should be real easy to code

for the SXM Music module, show the elapsed time or time remaining of a song....I had a recent flight where every station my passenger selected, was in the final 15-20seconds of the song, it seems like a simple addition to the code?

Another for the SXM Music Module, can we have a databar display of the song/artist playing?

Fuel Tank Totals

Would like to see the total fuel in each tank without having to go to the engine page. Maybe add them next to "Fuel QTY" like the other graph indicators, Oil PSI GPH, etc. or maybe above and below the graph line. Thanks!

Dual Fuel Gauge

Would like to see the total fuel in each tank without having to go to the engine page. Maybe add them next to "Fuel QTY" like the other graph indicators, Oil PSI GPH, etc. or maybe above and below the graph line. Thanks!

Good Morning,

If you open up the configuration menu on the GDU, and select Engine & Airframe, then select a Fuel Input, there is a selection for Display Options. Change this to Separate and you should be able to display your fuel gauge as described.

i-HJ87LmN.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

Requesting Again...

On the G3X, Add a Arnav/EI Fuel or Shadin Fuel Flow output format in the RS-232 data stream selection. The would enable us to use Fuel Flow/Endurance calculator in the GTN 650, 750.

If I could use the GTN 650 Fuel flow/endurance planning capability, I could keep the 1/3 of the GDU screen available for things like Traffic, Approach Plate, Maps, etc.

Thanks!

B

Roll trim

For us manual trim autopilot guys, we get pitch trim commands on the screen. How about giving us roll trim indicators also??

For us manual trim autopilot guys, we get pitch trim commands on the screen. How about giving us roll trim indicators also??
Anthony,

You should be able to do that right now with the G3x Touch, just get a Ray Allen position sender -

http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html

Find a good place to mount it, connect the arm to your manual trim lever and the wires to an unused GP/Pos input on your GEA-24. Just make sure to select a sender that has the range of motion you need.

Easy peasy!

hth

Dave

Last edited:
Anthony,

You should be able to do that right now with the G3x Touch, just get a Ray Allen position sender -

http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html

Find a good place to mount it, connect the arm to your manual trim lever and the wires to an unused GP/Pos input on your GEA-24. Just make sure to select a sender that has the range of motion you need.

Easy peasy!

hth

Dave

Dave,

I see where you are going, but I do not need to see the trim position, I need to see which way to trim when the autopilot is fighting an out of trim condition (in roll). Nice try though!!:D

Disconnect the A/P, trim the aircraft, reconnect the A/P.

Of course. The indicators would just make it safer. I've had long flights in IMC where the balance gets off and sometimes the autopilot will not correct from a turn. I know, fly it by hand and trim. We have it for pitch- just asking for the same for roll.;)

Last edited:
Of course. The indicators would just make it safer. I’ve had long flights in IMC where the balance gets off and sometimes the autopilot will not correct from a turn. I know, fly it by hand and trim. We have it for pitch- just asking for the same for roll.;)

If they do implement this function I hope they make so it can be turned off.

You may want to check your roll torque, I usually set roll to 30% so the ailerons always have enough torque to control the aircraft.

I have never had roll trim in my aircraft as I never felt the need for it, just manage your fuel.

If they do implement this function I hope they make so it can be turned off.

You may want to check your roll torque, I usually set roll to 30% so the ailerons always have enough torque to control the aircraft.

I have never had roll trim in my aircraft as I never felt the need for it, just manage your fuel.

Walt, I'll definitely check this setting. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would like to push and hold the cws button while the a/p is on and when I release the a/p changes the v/s / pitch / ias to whatever I adjusted the pitch to.

Leader Line

Just getting my G3X upgrade done (finally) after years flying behind Blue Mountain. It's going to be great but what I'm going to miss is the 5 minute leader line that Blue Mountain displayed. It showed where you would be in five minutes at current track and groundspeed and was great for planning descents, turns, etc. plus just align leader with course to adjust for changing track due to winds. It also had an altitude intercept arc that aided VNAV for those of us not using an autopilot. Not really necessary and I'll do fine without, of course, but I likes me candy...;)

Just getting my G3X upgrade done (finally) after years flying behind Blue Mountain. It's going to be great but what I'm going to miss is the 5 minute leader line that Blue Mountain displayed. It showed where you would be in five minutes at current track and groundspeed and was great for planning descents, turns, etc. plus just align leader with course to adjust for changing track due to winds. It also had an altitude intercept arc that aided VNAV for those of us not using an autopilot. Not really necessary and I'll do fine without, of course, but I likes me candy...;)

Hi Patrick,

When on the map page of your G3X Touch system, select Menu>Set up Map>Line and scroll down to Track Vector. You can turn this on and select a line leader by time or distance.

Similarly for the Altitude Intercept Arc on the map page, you can select Menu>Set up Map>Map>Selected Altitude Intercept Arc>On.

A resource you might really enjoy is the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide, which is a searchable PDF document to quickly find some of these features!

Best Regards,

Brad

Last edited:
Back