Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Default First Component almost complete - Horizontal Stabilizer

I say almost since the fiberglass is not started and no torque wrench so the VA146 bearing is sitting in a box. But it feels good to be working on the VS and Rudder.

I was going to post a picture but it doesn't appear that I'm able. Those who are curious may use the link to my build site.

I am so appreciative of this site and the other builder sites that have helped me so far. Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Sliding Canopy DONE!!! Now what do I do?

My goal was to finish the slider before it got cold and I made it! Canopy is Sika attached with only the hole for the handle. It could have gone better but I'm happy with the result.

Now what do I do? Options are:

1) Fit the wings (will require waiting till late October for garage space)

2) Rivet on top skin and complete windshield (it's already cut)

3) Start wiring. The panel is already cut and I've fitted radio racks and made provisions for mounting everying in subpanel, etc.
Dave Gribble VAF #232
Building RV-9A N149DG (slider, IO-320, IFR)
Restored and Flying Beech Super III N3698Q
Marion IA

Struggling with fiberglass

There is no sport equal to that which aviators enjoy while being carried through the air on great white wings." Wilbur Wright, 1905
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Wait 'til the very last....

...to rivet the forward skin. Wire everything you can, under the instrument panel....everything. When the airplane is just about ready to fly, then rivet that panel. Crawling under the dash is such a pain!

We made it the very last bit of our rivetting and were glad we did.

If you have the finishing kit, mount the wheelpants and leg fairings...much easier than crawling under the wings.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Default SIKA slider completed!

[quote]My goal was to finish the slider before it got cold and I made it! Canopy is Sika attached with only the hole for the handle. It could have gone better but I'm happy with the result.[quote]

Dave:

So when can you bring your expertise to OK City???!!!

Looking very nice.

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A / Mazda 13B
OK City, OK
Canopy slider bending this weekend...
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM

After reading the "Illustrated Guide" from this site, it took us just under an hour to hang my O-320 on Saturday morning. My wife and I got the top two bolts in and when my friend, who had just hung the O-360 on his 8A, got there, we finished the botom 2. Now on to the cowl!

SERFI 2013 Awards
Inspection Complete!!! 7/7/12
First Flight 7/22/12
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Default A huge small milestone.

Hi everyone,

first time I?m posting after having something to show. Not such a big milestone, considering what?s ahead, but a real personal victory.
A brief story: 32 y/o, pediatric cardiologist, love planes since forever. Could not fly military (the only public and free flight school in Brazil) and parents were afraid to afford flying lessons. Learned about homebuilts during med school and started dreaming. Learned about Van?s Rvs soon after and dreaming almost became an obssession. Finished school, specialization, married, moved to a small town (now we?re getting close), ordered empennage and wing kits. Went to Sun n? Fun this year with my Dad (big boys trip) and he, who is a gifted craftsman, fell in love with the idea of building a RV. Went the forums, met some amazing people, joined EAA. Back home, started building the shop (a tent in my backyard, since the house is a rental). Received empenage kit july this year and just looked at it for almost a month, afraid to damage the thing (never tried anything like it before). After a deep breath...started...it didn?t hurt that much..actualy it didn?t hurt at all!! Dad came (lives 1k miles northeast) and things got faster. Now we have the rudder (no fiber) and the vert stab is pre-assembled for match drilling. Here are some pics of the shop, the parts and us:

Outside view of the shop

Daddy priming parts in our paint booth (made from the kit box)

Me and Dad with the rudder
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Looking good Rodrigo! Time goes fast couple three more years and you will be ready for the engine Keep up good speed! It's good to have right helper even if he is one thousand miles away. See you in Brazilian skies some day.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Just Getting Organized

Empennage kit is on the way; getting shop set-up and organized

Completed an EAA table

Made it the same hight as an existing bench so I have about 12 feet of table top. I may still put the EAA table on casters.

With some of the left over melamine particle board I made a drawing board to sit at and study plans. It's hinged to the wall so it will fold down when more room is needed
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Default First trial fitting of instrument panel

Attached, I hope, is a picture of the first trial fitting of my instrument panel. It has a dual Dynon 10" display. I needed to cut a pass-through hole in the sub panel for the two radios, and the right rib will need some trimming, but other than that I think it is going to be fine.
RV9A - Completed! First flight on July 18, 2012!
Based at Merritt Island, FL (KCOI)
VAF Number: 1170

----
Star Trek Quote: "Logically, it could work. Also, logically, there are a hundred variables, any one of which could put us in a worse position than we're in now." Mr. Spock in Return to Tomorrow
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Looks nice. I'm considering a similar panel and haven't seen how 2 10" displays fill the panel.

More Pics Please!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs