to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-03-2022, 04:52 PM

Mickey,
Where do you mount it in your RV-8?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM

Default Amp demand??

How many amps (12VDC) does the G5 draw? I am looking on the website and lots of sales/marketing materials. Light though - - at 5.2 lbs., lighter than my tank.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Watkins View Post
Mickey,
Where do you mount it in your RV-8?
Steve, I have not yet mounted it - I just leave it to the right where the passenger's knee would be. I've thought about bolting it to the seat back, but have not yet done that. If there were a way to get it to start when it gets power, I'd put it in the rear baggage compartment. I have heard that there is a bluetooth app, which might allow remote starting, but I have not found it.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 10-04-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
How many amps (12VDC) does the G5 draw? I am looking on the website and lots of sales/marketing materials. Light though - - at 5.2 lbs., lighter than my tank.
Bill, I have not done a good analysis of the power used by the G5 at different settings, but looking at my recent flight in Savvy, I see about 5 amps at 12v. The battery pack is supposed to last longer than any single flight I'll make in my RV-8, but I like to keep it on ship power just in case.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 10-05-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Steve, I have not yet mounted it - I just leave it to the right where the passenger's knee would be. I've thought about bolting it to the seat back, but have not yet done that. If there were a way to get it to start when it gets power, I'd put it in the rear baggage compartment. I have heard that there is a bluetooth app, which might allow remote starting, but I have not found it.
The bluetooth app pretty much monitors the unit and updates the software. You can't turn on/off or adjust the unit via the app.

Mickey, you can find the app on the Apple app store. The app needs a code that comes with the G5 to work and since I bought second hand I didn't have one. I called Inogen customer service and the gave me one.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:28 PM

Default G5

Will the G5 provide an adequate supply for two adults?
Probably need two of them
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Lately, I have used a small Inogen concentrator. I even have a splitter and my wife and I keep 95% saturation at 14K
One comment above, I (updated) found the G5 yields 1.3 LPM of O2, so at the standard rate of 1 LPM/10K that is only enough (technically) for one user to 13,000.

But . . .I have to ask just how much of that in a regular cannula will get in the lungs. My digital unit only flows O2 when inhaling, so the rest of the time a standard system just flows O2 at the rate mentioned and is wasted when not inhaling. So maybe it is just fine for two people randomly inhaling and rarely simultaneously. Maybe the trained experts can shed some light on this from the actual physics of the process.

Last edited by BillL : 10-05-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
An Oxymizer type cannula will almost cut the needed flow rate in half, since as someone mentioned, when not breathing in, the normal cannula is just wasting the O2 out the side of your nose, whereas the Oxymizer pendant is refilling for your next breath. I donít usually fly higher than 13k, but 1.5lpm at 11.5 was plenty for me and my son (kept us above 93%). So maybe the G5 1.3lpm at 13k would _just_ be enough.

These systems are basically air blowers pumping air through a zeolite sieve, sequestering the N and letting the O2 go through, so I would imagine their flow rate is not linear to altitude, so higher means less air to work with, same as our props.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:33 PM

Default 14000

Quote:
I just asked this question of the inogenaviator.com (windblade) folks. Their answer was (1) person up to 18000 ft and (2) people to 14000 ft. I suspect the real answer is - it depends.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
915 hours and counting . . . .
33 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 10-06-2022, 11:56 AM

The Inogen G5 is a pulse demand system, not constant flow. It senses low pressure when you start to inhale and gives a shot of O2. If your respiration rate is slow it gives large doses. Faster breaths get smaller doses. Seems like very little waste. For 2 people it might be best to use oxymizer style cannula because the G5 will sense each breath and the timing of the doses will not be correct for both people unless they synchronize their breathing.