- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Sudden temporary change in oil pressure

On a flight last week I had a -19psi change in my oil pressure, the majority of change in 6 seconds!

No alarms sounded as the oil pressure was still in range but picked up on it and made an immediate turn to more favorable landing zones as it was still slowly trending down. During the turn I was also changing power settings and looking for oil when I noticed the pressure coming back up! Located a safe path to the nearest airport but the pressure was rock solid from then on. On landing the oil level was at 5.5q, about where expected so there was no unexplained oil loss. The event lasted over a minute and I see nothing in the data that would suggest this was instrumentation.
The only conclusion I can reach is the oil pressure regulator must have gotten something on the seat or just didn't seat properly until I shook it loose with power and g load. Weird considering this was 10+ minutes after establishing a climb profile.
I attached the Savvy flight (11 minutes in) for those who may have more insight into this anomaly.
https://apps.savvyaviation.com/fligh...e-b277f8b8505e
IO-360-B1B
A&P

CANbus based trim/flaps and electrical

Last edited by jdeas : 08-09-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Yup, I flew the other day (Lyc O-360) and the oil pressure was about 10-12 psi higher than I usually see. After landing I tapped on the housing for the regulator ball. Next flight it was back to normal.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeas View Post
On a flight last week I had a -19psi change in my oil pressure, the majority of change in 6 seconds!

No alarms sounded as the oil pressure was still in range but picked up on it and made an immediate turn to more favorable landing zones as it was still slowly trending down. During the turn I was also changing power settings and looking for oil when I noticed the pressure coming back up! Located a safe path to the nearest airport but the pressure was rock solid from then on. On landing the oil level was at 5.5q, about where expected so there was no unexplained oil loss. The event lasted over a minute and I see nothing in the data that would suggest this was instrumentation.
The only conclusion I can reach is the oil pressure regulator must have gotten something on the seat or just didn't seat properly until I shook it loose with power and g load. Weird considering this was 10+ minutes after establishing a climb profile.
I attached the Savvy flight (11 minutes in) for those who may have more insight into this anomaly.
https://apps.savvyaviation.com/fligh...e-b277f8b8505e
Unless you have a good deal of bearing wear, the ball should be well off the seat at 2400 RPM. Improper seating, due to debris, in the ball seat area, at those RPMs, is a pretty unlikely reason for a low pressure indication. A problem with the cage or spring could cause that though. My engine had the wrong adapter (i.e. no cage present) and the pressure would fall only at high RPMs (ball was falling off to the side). Further, typical sendor errors and anamolies usually report high vs low readings. While a bad sender or wiring issue is absolutely possible, I would keep a close eye on it to confirm it is not a mechanical issue.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 08-10-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 PM

What type of oil pressure sensor? Dynon recently issued a service bulletin for the Kavlico sensors.
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26
Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Here's the affect a piece of debris in the relief valve seat has on oil pressure. Larry is right, your observation does not seem to fit debris in the seat.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 PM

Default Low PSI

Guys,
Thanks for the input. This is a one time anomaly after almost 500hrs of use. The engine is far from new so no idea how far the ball is off the seat at 2400.

A point of reference, Switched to 120wt oil and removed a washer from the regulator around 20hrs ago. It has given me more consistent psi but perhaps the regulator is not quite happy with the washer/spring stack and/or missing the cage.
This is the tall hat fixed regulator. I'll have to see if a cage should be there.
IO-360-B1B
A&P

CANbus based trim/flaps and electrical
Old 08-10-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Guys,
Thanks for the input. This is a one time anomaly after almost 500hrs of use.
Please don't take comfort in that. Most engines will go 1000's of hours without ever having an indication like this. It may be something simple like a loose connector. However, your engine is whispering to you, please don't ignore it. A failed oil system, typically results in a very bad day.

You need to find the cause.

Larry
Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Please don't take comfort in that. Most engines will go 1000's of hours without ever having an indication like this. It may be something simple like a loose connector. However, your engine is whispering to you, please don't ignore it. A failed oil system, typically results in a very bad day.

You need to find the cause.

Larry
Point taken, BUT sometimes “it just is”. I had a 20+ psi drop for a few flights and added a quart of oil and it took care of the OP drop. Pressure has been back to normal since. On here I was told that adding oil wouldn’t solve the OP issue and something else is wrong. Well, it did and there wasn’t. So where I’m going with this is if your OP is back, sometimes it is OK to assume it was a transient excursion and you may never know why, but you can be satisfied that the problem is gone.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
G
This is the tall hat fixed regulator. I'll have to see if a cage should be there.
Two styles for this. One has the cage on the block, in which case, you need the derby hat style cap(not sure if they ever made an adjustable regulator for this style). The other has no cage on the block and it requires the abe lincoln hat style that has a cage built into the cap. To be clear, I don't believe that this is your issue, as it would have presented a long time ago.

Larry
Old 08-11-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Findlay View Post
Point taken, BUT sometimes “it just is”. I had a 20+ psi drop for a few flights and added a quart of oil and it took care of the OP drop. Pressure has been back to normal since. On here I was told that adding oil wouldn’t solve the OP issue and something else is wrong. Well, it did and there wasn’t. So where I’m going with this is if your OP is back, sometimes it is OK to assume it was a transient excursion and you may never know why, but you can be satisfied that the problem is gone.
pressure drops that can be tied to a low oil level is a completely different matter and is to be expected. OP stated that he confirmed a proper oil level at the time of the event. No one should ever ignore irregular oil pressure drops. These are remarkably stable systems with VERY FEW intermittent excursions from normal patterns. The exception being instrument/sensor issues.

Last edited by lr172 : 08-11-2020 at 08:16 AM.