Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2021, 06:48 AM

Default Need opinions re: RV7 IO390 starter button on stick?

Hey guys.

I'm seriously considering putting a starter button on the pilot stick grip.

For those of you with a IO390 in an RV7, how necessary/convenient is it to have the stick back during start? Yeah, I know that it's always good form to do that, but is it a case where you're gonna immediately nose plant if that stick slips out from between your knees on an oopsie 1200 rpm hot start?

I've always been a proponent of the KISS principle, especially with gadgets, but I can see some real value here in this case, and I don't see why I couldn't run one in parallel with a panel mount push button and a starter arm safety somewhere. to prevent inadvertent button pushing.

I'm not at that point yet, but just starting to look at electrical planning and I'm looking for opinions and experience form those who have gone before.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 10-10-2021, 06:58 AM

My .02 -- keep it on the panel/dash; key or button.

The last thing you need/want is to inadvertently smash the start button on the stick while maneuvering...
Old 10-10-2021, 07:02 AM

Easy way to break teeth on starter ring with inadvertent touch.

Thinking the logic behind buttons on stick are ; often used, need quick access. Starter button there, falls in neither categories. Another opinion.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:06 AM

Default Starter on stick

Terry,

Nothing wrong with that, especially hot starting a tail dragger on a windy day. Definitely a good idea to have your hand on the stick during start. You could easily have one of the buttons on the stick designated for starting but you should consider running through a separate “consent” switch so you don’t inadvertently hit the starter with the engine running. Switch on for start, engage starter, switch off after start.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
I've always been a proponent of the KISS principle.
This should answer your question!

I am NOT a proponent of starter buttons on the stick.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 10-10-2021, 07:33 AM

I use an Infinity stick grip. The starter button is located top right on a right handed stick, so I must lift my thumb up and over to reach it. Inadvertent activation is unlikely.

Moreover, my mags are activated by two DPDT toggle switches. As the left mag is impulse, the left mag must be on and the right off to start. The left side of the switches handle the mag grounding/un-grounding.

The right side of the switch handles the logic for engaging the starter. To start, the left mag must be in the full up position and the right switch full down to engage the starter with the left mag un-grounded. After start, the right mag switch goes full up to un-ground it and the starter relay engagement path is deactivated.

Also, with the left mag in the middle position and the right mag in the down (off) position I can engage the starter with both mags grounded. This is a maintenance mode.

In the extremely unlikely event that I needed to "air start" with a stopped prop I would have to flip the right mag switch to off.

Don
"Pilots are alchemists... we turn gold into lead."
Old 10-10-2021, 08:01 AM

The short answer - don’t do this.

I put the start button on the Infinity Grip on my first RV (adding the in line relay as the starter solenoid draws too much current for the stick button). During the first few flights I inadvertently hit the start button twice with the engine running. Luckily the damage to the starter ring was minor.

I use the nice start button from Stein (with bezel), mounted either on the bottom left of the panel apron (RV-10) or on the side breaker panel (RV-8).
https://www.steinair.com/product-cat...witches/start/

Carl
Old 10-10-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
This should answer your question!

I am NOT a proponent of starter buttons on the stick.
It should, but unfortunately it doesn't. If that was an iron clad rule, none of us would have moved up to fuel injection or constant speed props, I for sure wouldn't have ordered an engine with 2 Pmags, and you wouldn't be doing glass panel upgrades. At some point, KISS has to make way during the cost benefit analysis

In this case, I know how easy it is to run out of hands on a temperamental fuel injected hot start and just considering my options.

Guys- I'm not some gadget enamored 18 year old. I understand all the potential down side here, including the safety aspects in the shop. I'm typically not a fan of a bunch of junk on the stick either. I can see a potential benefit here, but this is not a hill I'm willing to die on either way.

Like I said, all opinions welcome, but mostly I'm looking for some feedback from the guys who have put IO390s in an RV7. Do you have a stick start button, if not is it a big deal to keep the old girl from face planting if the throttle is a little too robust during the start sequence?
Fuselage in process
Old 10-10-2021, 08:11 AM

It's your airplane. Do what you want. A particular engine and/or airplane has nothing to do with it.

The stick should be held full back during start on ALL small airplanes.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 10-10-2021, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys.

Mel- I always appreciate your candor and hope you don't think I'm being intentionally argumentative. just weighing my options here.
Fuselage in process