What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to insert images in your posts using Google Photos

xavierm

Well Known Member
Friend
How to post pictures using Google Photos -

Go to https://photos.google.com/
Create a shared album by clicking the + next to the search bar
Select Shared Album
Select a picture for the album
Click "Create"
Name the album. I created a album called "VAF Forum Posts"
Click "Share"
Click "Done"

Add pictures you want to share to this album.

When you want to post a picture, go to the album and select the picture so it's full screen.
Right click the photo and select "Copy image address"
Click the "Insert image" icon then paste the saved image address in the field. It will be a long link.
Size your image -
Your link will look similiar to:
"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dtga-lQJvyit2CPpWEzeEufhcsQ-mjNZ9nDR88CdBZpdO5aP5EWtK--8MttL2VIvGrPHvgYWXz-_P-Z-kA7BuojYxdT3w0Reh9aCgrOgEP-dTnvSq9xPXdCDyrTZ0HIzEQTeuF0_MWp-XrH1_yZoJf26YI6dcTs2NFKFxaq6RYsZ99kNRYzRv5RfxowTduqpj4nQNpVoxdHxHsgf50Kbq4LNObGlVhlagHT2cS2Q2fGiyPVOvPXO9LSH9PU4kYf6vpFisv4_pega2TYsWY_mI4LeFpH6eFuAMu30vlBFWuTxoBQkJjT2Yix3_Pn_S0HHb5lkMkif_4eytKrw8PnRhR03aK82EoBzKGZAOMjuuq-B9p-cw4PiEueHo7c6suYwTR_0GDHytabes9fDQ2HS8DXQXie_ew2-p8P0oMm9QeoPimd-Vt4Gt8R2VYF2Uf-Tmz6rP6lWjnN6YMLfuhdlBr5dkaSpC8P3f_MudkXZ4yP4_TnHQyT-Br-sJomjBWmmcpWiuMdzzTYfaFUPAfMf1f3MIdqMqWbC9b2dGXEPkXby-josNb2Orunq4Gehfk8zJhwCfg=w800-h531-no"

If your picture displays too large change the =w part of the link to whatever you want the with to be. For example, change the link, "=w800-h531-no" to "=w500-no".
(Thanks jchang10 for discovering this)

Click "Okay" and your image will be displayed when you submit your post.

dtga-lQJvyit2CPpWEzeEufhcsQ-mjNZ9nDR88CdBZpdO5aP5EWtK--8MttL2VIvGrPHvgYWXz-_P-Z-kA7BuojYxdT3w0Reh9aCgrOgEP-dTnvSq9xPXdCDyrTZ0HIzEQTeuF0_MWp-XrH1_yZoJf26YI6dcTs2NFKFxaq6RYsZ99kNRYzRv5RfxowTduqpj4nQNpVoxdHxHsgf50Kbq4LNObGlVhlagHT2cS2Q2fGiyPVOvPXO9LSH9PU4kYf6vpFisv4_pega2TYsWY_mI4LeFpH6eFuAMu30vlBFWuTxoBQkJjT2Yix3_Pn_S0HHb5lkMkif_4eytKrw8PnRhR03aK82EoBzKGZAOMjuuq-B9p-cw4PiEueHo7c6suYwTR_0GDHytabes9fDQ2HS8DXQXie_ew2-p8P0oMm9QeoPimd-Vt4Gt8R2VYF2Uf-Tmz6rP6lWjnN6YMLfuhdlBr5dkaSpC8P3f_MudkXZ4yP4_TnHQyT-Br-sJomjBWmmcpWiuMdzzTYfaFUPAfMf1f3MIdqMqWbC9b2dGXEPkXby-josNb2Orunq4Gehfk8zJhwCfg=w500

Last edited:
Was: If you reduce the image size to 800 pixels wide, this site will display it the correct size so that we can also read the text..

After resizing: Nice job!

Dave

Last edited:

Select Shared Album
Click "Create"
Click "Share"
Click "Done"

When you want to post a picture, go to the album and select the picture so it's full screen.
Click the "Insert image" icon then paste the saved image address in the field. It will be long.
Click "Okay" and your image will be displayed when you submit your post.

u0oZZYs-drrCUYVLnTNsfl-a4-sB6_qad3enVuqD0X1WqwLl40GD9AtyTbnwmYxEfSyKbN_b9rosVlTTs-NEj91eB0ayzRsoJ28GM_zhGgun0epO2v6H0eMq1s0YpN_PItnxWJS8NdzSWZIePE2i01tOaxV8UCpJDhjZVN2P_owNjE9aCAPhG6gN9CJ06u7FoV210iqEca5e8P6wZOMJp2D7d2Cy5fPQ8zcV-2R5zhgGSlI1d5OhgMUNy3V7La8MemMK9u_dE8tkpnIYKGBuKF_ll-T3ZfpgphHr4rKYwUe2es8W0F3eSrgoc05INyZ9c6v8iI394_nBAuJyimCeMEiCzjmTEBIBta5XCfcbuKpexvtSTtDJxFrfxz36fxbfGWjdxnYuMzI1c5-GMxFXhfTbQqbsnLWcXXal7sjMgZxCgGr4S7keBmTwsxt8Br43XLbE83JZ4cjiKnq-QELlKcv2y0zO25D0EnNvnPWRDu_POzmvHEFCwGrydmyfoa0uOg5iGd0CXYwcS3msTMe16ToXZIF03M2KrdcJpXFXfcI1eSUA4hLXBALAcK70Pqj2iIkHKw=w1423-h945-no

Gee, the was easy.... :rolleyes:

You'll have to resize the images

You'll have to re-size your images and upload them to google Photos. although I usually re-size the pics I post. I originally didn't re-size the pic in the example, then went back and re-sized it.

Just a note that you must get the link through photos.google.com as described above. I was trying this evening to insert pics from my Google account and they kept showing up as a hyperlink instead of an image in the thread. Then I realized the links I was inserting were actually 'drive.google.com'. It's confusing because you can access your photos through Google Drive and that's what I was doing...didn't work until I went through the photos.google.com path.
Just follow the directions exactly and you'll be fine ;)

Yes, I had the same problem, didn't follow this part of the instructions: select the picture so it's full screen. If you don't, you get a link, but not the right one.

Also, it is useful to know that if you preview the post, the image will appear, so it is easy to resize or modify.

I try to learn something new each year!!!! Maybe I'll work on resizing next year!! Thanks for the directions XAV.

Last edited:
Any ideas to how to copy image address from iPad app? It keep trying to give me a hyperlink that won't work for posting

Last edited:
migrated from Picasa

Testing theory about Google photo accounts migrated from Picasa. Theory is links from migrated accounts will work long term whereas links from non-migrated accounts will stop working after some time.

This is a photo from a migrated account although this photo was added to the account after migration:

iRmKyrsTgq1XS15ahFo5-zQDM01oGLv9Bx2-TO6IHgHMmLD8sdcsq7Ui2gY9ibWcsXpo5f706uaeIDT19vv1LWWaiD83YH79XpbsLE8mgxdnxZReQd8zUuHXS3KXq7-QUk87uhm7PkecfvgvyBbMg9Uof5OmLCCjL7vxBN8JOjEgMdmnOsOJ5LrCk9QEoerZ4LikAVZ3NEQPxYYa2FLtBv9WRyHrnjq8nQ5Y3KU8gbHvc1Gtn_k6GSkXxO1j2Ybv5lrmwFsmS85Iqne8QxEo2AVeBg2mj3YNdLMsS-7hn6jh5HpZi3RA4ZT9YwB5M8dslfBU9LXTpqxacu9Gl565XvGOE_QbdVtggkAI9s0sPoMf0VGPeMtKosWTgffKGKmxsP2tE5Bk_kEfWgxGgOcgoaT80EBWm8yOuhKAuqdM-JA8Y5XeL9VC5_f7ZBjBi6kdTfGotJ4dqf9waCVY7xQLX9MLmvF5ZisI7yVj9rH1HvuXYo3xLMHXnqqAZ_Ww0oxFUI4MJTZ6fZXNZFKoBgmjofe7wj8nqT6sgAQve-txZoYhb3rZLU5MkKw9qpt3_eDLbEVNI6MVPZ-eCNuamx-_KVUX3HVadZCaEymXnVyal6XWtVmulxeKCxxBNPRbq0AqeknsOd8w-46b7fg8iOtixNZIRH2MlB71AQg796KmuKT8AEZRxlhv_ClbkXs-g8XFRHh6gF5oL1zIQJ_L4V0qRTuutRhvJfYeYpXk8XSftLrw0Eb7=s900-no

=================================================

This is the same photo from a newer account not migrated from Picasa:

JS8UJobExxCcPRoT8DAs3adUiGRVHeKRjmIH_ayAbCsxiep4oI9YPTg3EvSyH-8e9vbiWqrh6isiv-WMDahOqKM3K-6IKKU9FtAz1Zr8WbksSxivNgZ5jSnQ6VQfuO-zLlZEZb0XmYgyzM9Tf9UXo4GtC7v0Ig6wjuCCmBJ7mugDYarSngFcku3nSfzsy60lJFN0fm2SBwi8ta4MS1LVIriyb6YjyZuoABTZkHtzIHnjH7qMwV1OYhqlw97l6Uu0PGLEmQg7VNkQtybHQE7xzXl-eqgW8VTvzyw2wVxy6b8jPu-GRv3YUlBZrFnyU9OtWFAzT7TZvYssNK32clTsItKCZeFthcTXFAfNzXgmTApACooAQdM7fwypO3w_JNDM5oOzXCzXDVkuXQNarW3qY265u_XLd1KtEUt2dCBpq2v-1A2Eapa4Fvaid_2q0XCjEh5oCLcIfOJH-k6fCHSHyLW6_kZGY6znEvHTs-tthMSevxmOhtOblyZPOcFGfEgd02n73mwdHLDgvs9C54H_-D0FJNWYjsroJtpjdw0ZduEr6crt17hmxXjzUOpgCNepZpAeKX6766GPO2cFbcqtHWumHEUSckvRjGl9ivke2mrvxFfHcIa0feK6y8MY8Cm2x9DY-JQz3yvGPuJcVEBr8CKPw7X3sSLWB88hE7qdcXEr7p92t_yixR2MT982UQOvdaT1bHAyruvpuQtCPvZIXrcojgXuAiwPU5SgsJtabZRuNA=s900-no

=================================================

BTW both photo links ended in "... s1874-no" and changing that to "... s900-no" made the size better on the screen.

Last edited:
Remove ?authuser=0

Select Shared Album
Click "Create"
Click "Share"
Click "Done"

Click the "Insert image" icon then paste the saved image address in the field. It will be a long link.

My image doesn't work when I follow the exact instructions BUT I deleted the end of my link "?Authuser=0" and it worked. Probably something to do with the share settings of the album, but again I thought I did everything right.

URL originally: "lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC...=w1303-h977-no?authuser=0"
ACtC-3cG6_fFo5mbyW8vlrPmmoOd3yWkCtQrXHzos9Z2wKaeb8Pt4Bcv0aW3Oz97N8wQHaR-XZzkEvWY0pNG9BBkgw6pv7me4qnIFuwQAPY8haOEWsm-MydsdCjVCC13K3v21sdis4NoWRUrXWQgCf3kymHx=w500-no

URL when it worked: "lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC...=w1303-h977-no"
ACtC-3cG6_fFo5mbyW8vlrPmmoOd3yWkCtQrXHzos9Z2wKaeb8Pt4Bcv0aW3Oz97N8wQHaR-XZzkEvWY0pNG9BBkgw6pv7me4qnIFuwQAPY8haOEWsm-MydsdCjVCC13K3v21sdis4NoWRUrXWQgCf3kymHx=w500-no

Exactly right

My image doesn't work when I follow the exact instructions BUT I deleted the end of my link "?Authuser=0" and it worked. Probably something to do with the share settings of the album, but again I thought I did everything right.

You did, they recently added that extra at the end and what you discovered is the answer to the problem.

Using the instructions in the OP I wasn't able to get google photos to show up. However in this post:

there's a bit about editing the end of the url in various ways, and after playing around I was finally able to do it by changing
[long url]-no?authuser=0 to [long-url]-no-tmp.jpg.

Also it doesn't seem to work to use the (shorter) link you can get by selecting "Create link" on the google photo, I had to start with the long link from right clicking the photo per the OP then edit the end of that.

EDIT: Well, that didn't work either. At first it did but after a few days my photo dissappeared from VAF.
However I found this which seems to work fine: https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/

Last edited:
Embed google photos

Hey all,

I have been using this little website to help with google. It is pretty easy. You go to google photos, open up a photo you want, and click on the create link option under the share icon. You copy that link, paste it into the embed google photos, and it spits back a "direct image link" you can copy and paste into VAF.

As an example, we took a night flight last night, and here is the Sabrina Lee getting ready to go back into the hangar. All I did with this photo was resize to 800 pixels wide when I posted into VAF. You do that by changing the final =w2400 to =w800 in the link.

ZoqPbOJGLX09LJfqc51xp1mzVrXn8lf3Ve-yFNg_h-C8escJQHij0BIrv09BAc_ZeiTgqrgy8_dKOMa0Pai3elgDs2QLlkDWHzs3H8_ZtPMKjepK4LrrhRnpjfehOIfXVuCaHTdK3g=w800

Blue skies

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I'm reading this with great interest as I've always been picture challenged here on VAF. And I am therefore, as you've probably surmised, a computer idiot. Could you please help me with this part of your post

(paste it into the embed google photos, and it spits back a "direct image link")

as I don't know how to find it.:confused:

Thanx much

You can now attach pictures

After you click "Post Reply", click on the paper clip next to the smiley face.
That will let you upload a file (for example a picture) from your computer.

Finn

Attachments

• AttachPicture.JPG
    AttachPicture.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 247
Hi Geoff, I "think" I followed your instructions to the letter. But I didn't get my photo in my preview. So I just decided to click submit new thread . Its a new thread that says "test photo, (I don't think this is gonna work)" The picture doesn't show up there either, like yours did, but there is a link underneath, and if you click on "that", then my test picture shows up. But that doesn't seem right---seems like other folks shouldn't have to click on a link to view a picture I've tried to post. Seems like it should just be there---like yours??

Last edited:
Did you use Direct Image Link in Embed Google?

Dan,

When you generate the link in Embed Google Photos use the Direct Image Link. I think maybe what you did was paste that directly into the VAF post. You need to use the insert image button in the VAF editor (5th button from right in the advanced editor row of buttons).

It looks like if you paste the embed google photos link directly into your post without using the insert image, the image tags do not get in there, and you will not see the image in the post.

Hope this helps. Try again and see if it works!

All the best

Geoff

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to insert pics but it isn’t working. It puts in the correct link but is not embedding.

url]

I’ve been trying to insert pics but it isn’t working. It puts in the correct link but is not embedding.

url]

Click the image in the link to show the actual picture. Right click on image and choose copy image location. Then paste that url using image insert icon. At the end of the text string is the image size of ...w1080-h810...change that size to a size suitable for the forum. As an example here it is at...w540-h405...

AM-JKLWz_rhKeaD1GtDv7mChkqVBApWowwy9EbK6Zcab8Bq805J-Co6L1bmEtNX7kbgBNt03uOcA1P65GKVz5igM28JhcLJI827XIpIxTzvWcOD4CqsJNvw0LVCAAxd5Ty1AkbeNdNWXU6xv-3s8ecEg6dqR=w540-h405-no

Last edited:
Google Photo challenge on Macbook

I ran into one final challenge trying to post pics from Google Photos on my Mac. I had to open the pic into a new Window ("Open Link in New Window") not a new tab from the shared Google Photo Album. From that point all of the instructions worked great. Thanks for sharing.

Back