- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:42 AM

Default Prop governor or something else

Need some input from the Vans brain trust. Was going to fly the plane for the first time yesterday and the prop would not cycle. I had to get a customer lenth prop cable and with trying to limit the ground run time till yesterday had not run the engine since I got the cable installed.

Anyway, we had several really smart people around with lots of RV time. After getting it warmed up and still not cycling we pulled the prop to make sure there was no crank plug (IO-390)- and there was not.

Setup (all new)
IO-390
Hartzell Composite CS Prop
Hartzell prop governor (from Vans)

Steps we took:

Verified the stops were both being hit

Removed prop looked for crank plug- no plug, but we did not get very much oil that drained out either.

Warmed up again, took to 2200-2300 RPM, would not pull down other than one very small pull once but would never do it again- had Mike Seager sitting next to me running the controls so no user error )

Pulled the governor to make sure the prop circuit was not being blocked by a gasket, etc. - all good

Re-clocked the gov to the RV-14 instructions. I think this is more mounting/angle but we tried.

Reinstalled and tried cycling again and nothing

Thoughts? or ideas? Anyone ever see a bad governor out of the box? Hoping not an internal engine issue. Sticky prop?

I found this article and seperate Lycoming SB that I'll attempt. May need to make a block off plate for the lyc DB.

Seem like the avweb one is easy and should be where we start.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/prop...r-diagnostics/

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...0Procedure.pdf

Thanks in advance!
dan
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 05-09-2021, 08:46 AM

Had a buddy with a newly purchased RV-8 and Whirlwind have this happen on his way home after purchase... I told him to do an aborted takeoff to see if the prop goes into range on the roll (RPM sag at 20 knots). Worked fine. Some props won't cycle on the ground at first. My Rocket does it sometimes.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 05-09-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Governor

I have a different setup, IO540, Hartzell Governor, and an MT prop.

My experience was that it took quite a few tries to get the prop to cycle the first time. One thing to note is that the Hartzell Governor doesn’t cycle below 2000 rpm. Once it completed that first cycle, no other issues were noted...and that Governor is ROCK solid; it never hunts once it is set...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Thanks Guys-

I am headed down to the shop. May try the simple air trick in the prop circuit and then put it back together and give an aborted TO a go. We've 5200 feet of runway to work with.

dan
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 05-09-2021, 09:50 AM

When you pulled the prop off did you see evidence that oil was flowing to the prop.

I agree with others that it can take a decent amount of effort to get all the air out of a new hub for the first flight and generally the S series governor won't start increasing pitch until 1800-2000 RPM.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-09-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:49 AM

I'm not saying this is your problem...but;

A friend of mine building a -14A recently installed his IO-390 and propellor governor and he asked me to look at it.

I noticed that he inadvertently left the pad cover seal in place when he removed the cover and "doubled up" when he installed the prop. governor.

Part #25 in the attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 11.47.53 AM.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	11362  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:47 AM

"Removed prop looked for crank plug- no plug, but we did not get very much oil that drained out either."

There should not be a plug in the front end of the crank but there SHOULD be a plug about 8 inches back....just behind the hole that brings the oil in.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 AM

I'm curious Dan, did you guys ever get this figured out this weekend?
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 AM

I never cycled my prop until the second flight. I didn't want to potentially starve brand new bearings of oil by exercising the prop. I also wanted to keep ground running, especially at power, at a minimum. I ran it for a total of about 20 minutes before the first flight during three runs at progressively higher RPMs. On the last run before first flight I very briefly went to as high RPM as I dared (taildragger). When I opened the throttle for takeoff and saw 2700, I knew for sure the governor was working and I didn't need to abort the takeoff. My choice was to not mess with it on the first flight. Left everything wide open and worked on break-in for about an hour. Temps under control - happy pilot. I reduced RPM using the prop control during the second flight, but not as a runup item, more as a break-in procedure. I wanted to vary the RPM at high manifold pressure to help seat the rings.

As far as exercising the prop before every flight goes, I usually don't. It worked in the air. I have no reason to think it won't work this flight. I don't really need to spend a lot of time sucking up dirt and gravel at the runup area. If the weather were very cold, maybe it'd be good to change out the oil in the prop with warmed up oil. In SoCal, not much of an issue most of the time.

Ed Holyoke
Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I'm curious Dan, did you guys ever get this figured out this weekend?
Hey Jereme- I did not. I went down to airport to watch another planes maiden flight, but had some work and home stuff I had to get done yesterday.

I am going to make up a block off plate with a port so we can do the official Lycoming differential pressure check to make sure it's in the normal oil pressure range. Work got in the way so far today, but I am going to try and get that finished up tonight so we can test.

If that checks out- aborted TO time to see if it pulls down.
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid