Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Default When the tailwheel castors

So my concern is that a properly maintained tailwheel castors when we get to our full rudder travel by design. So I am not talking about an inadvertent release, I am addressing a design release just when we need it most.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post
So my concern is that a properly maintained tailwheel castors when we get to our full rudder travel by design. So I am not talking about an inadvertent release, I am addressing a design release just when we need it most.
You mean it unlocks into full swivel right at full rudder deflection? Yep, lots of them like that. So change it. Move the link points inboard on the rudder horn or outboard at the tailwheel arm (i.e. a longer arm).
Old 04-11-2020, 08:49 PM

Default Slack in the chains

My rudder will deflect almost fully before it stears the tailwheel. It might even take a little shot of prop blast or brake to unlock it to swivel. I hear all the time how someones plane darts left or right when the tail touches down. I just prefer it to be less touchy.

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Murphy View Post
My rudder will deflect almost fully before it stears the tailwheel. It might even take a little shot of prop blast or brake to unlock it to swivel. I hear all the time how someones plane darts left or right when the tail touches down. I just prefer it to be less touchy.

Cm
I totally agree with you Christopher! If springs are tight the tail wheel darts every movement of the peddles. I have lots of slack in my -7 and 1700 hrs TW time and I let the rudder do ALL the work while the wheel rolls straight, not darting side to side, as tight springs do. Then when I start to loose the effectiveness of the rudder I have enough peddle left to steer with the tail wheel.
I guess it what ever you get used to 🥴
RV-10 Under Construction (bought incomplete)
Donation Paid
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 PM

Default Tailwheel control

The same thing just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The tail wheel is greased every 100 hours or year whichever comes first. The airplane had 50 hours on it. The grease was all dry and caked up. A quick bunch of throttle and a little opposite brake prevented any incidents.
Dan Hortons article is a good one but information like this needs to be be on a site that is localized rather than looking all over the Internet. This one needs to have an important maintenance page. "Safety" is a good start and the S B and letters are good, but just saying.
So while I'm at it Our airplane is equipped with the push pull tail wheel springs rather than the chain and springs. Our plane has one on each side rather than just one side because they break. When one breaks you still have the other one working for you. That means they need to be preflighted because you can't always tell when they are broken by just looking at them.
1st flight Oct 18, 08
S/N 72847 tip 200HP CS glass IFR
Old 04-13-2020, 02:55 PM

For those of us that aren't familiar with tailwheel maintenance or have been putting off maintenance for fear of disassembly, I put together a short video discussing the inner workings of this mechanism.

https://youtu.be/LkBz3UqRanQ

I've got a longer video in the works dealing with troubleshooting common issues that we see in this mechanism, but it's not ready quite yet.

If you're having issues or need advice with a tailwheel assembly, don't hesitate to get in touch with us... we're here to help!

Blake Frazier
Co-owner of Flyboy Accessories
VAF Advertiser

2021 Dues Paid 1/7/21
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 PM

Great video. Thanks Blake.
Dues paid
Old 04-13-2020, 06:08 PM

I had the same situation in my F1 this year. Its difficult to maintain directional control when it castors and I only had a 10 knot crosswind component. I replaced the pin and went through the entire assembly. Its a high wear item but the parts are cheap.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:29 PM

Default VAF Helped Fix This Issue

Purchased and flew my RV-6 quite some time before I found out that the problem was the pin. Thank You VAF!

Mine was stuck, just learned to be quick on the pedals and brakes for directional control. Now that it is fixed, feel lucky to have made it through those first months, helped train me well for TWs that actually work!

Battle Mountain, NV (KBAM) had some interesting winds last year on the 7th of June 2019.

Battle Mountain has 4-big runways, first runway was not an option by the time I arrived. Decided to commit to the second choice as the wind was changing to that direction. Timed it well, not a bad x-wind at 30 degrees. The Gusts were interesting; rock and roll all the way to the ground, love the handling the RV provides.

Plenty of rudder still available. You actually had to fly the RV on the taxiway, the whole way to parking! One of the reasons took the runway used, the taxiway would be almost aligned with the wind direction, did not want that kind of wind behind me.

Big guy came out and leaned on the wing when tying down. Nice crew and a courtesy car available. Discount rates at one of the hotels in town.

Mike
UTC -09:00 Alaska

Last edited by mbauer : 04-13-2020 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Flying on the Taxiway
Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 PM

I went out last Friday, (after reading this), and pulled it all apart, primarily to check the wear on the pin, and the 1/2 moon slot it rides in. All looks good, didn't appear that the pin or the left and right edges of the slot had any abnormal wear on them. (Likewise, the notch in the control arm (that connects to the chains). Regreased it all, and put it back together again. This normally gets taken care of for me on my conditionals/annuals, so I hadn't personally looked at it for about 3 years or so. This article inspired me. I write this, because I'm neither a builder, or a mechanic, but the tailwheel assembly is easy enough for even a guy like me to handle. (All my parts, tailwheel fork, locking pin, and control arm are from Vince Frazier, Blake's father--I guess the parts are all steel now??)

About 1 1/2 years ago, I was landing (with the mechanic in the back seat.) I wasn't aware of any strong crosswinds, but suddenly the aircraft went left, very very left, off the runway into the grass. I had full right rudder applied trying to stop it, but to no avail. Luckily, there was no damage to the airplane. Still can't figure out why that happened.