-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:11 PM

That ELT mount is a total pain in the rear! I barely got the blind rivets in the bottom even with a "wedge" and a second twist of the rivet tool and a lot o cussing!

How did you fall on the placement of your antennae?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
That ELT mount is a total pain in the rear! I barely got the blind rivets in the bottom even with a "wedge" and a second twist of the rivet tool and a lot o cussing!

How did you fall on the placement of your antennae?
Ya I hear ya, I had the same problems.

As far as antenna placement I basically followed the plan that Stein released awhile back. I also wanted my ADSB-472 and XPNDR in the aft fuselage. I'm not following their plan to the T but close enough. My GPS antennas I think will go on the glare shield and ELT on the top of the aft fuse.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Ya I hear ya, I had the same problems.

As far as antenna placement I basically followed the plan that Stein released awhile back. I also wanted my ADSB-472 and XPNDR in the aft fuselage. I'm not following their plan to the T but close enough. My GPS antennas I think will go on the glare shield and ELT on the top of the aft fuse.
Hey Jereme! How thick was your doubler on those antennae?

Kent
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Hey Jereme! How thick was your doubler on those antennae?

Kent
0.040" although 0.032" would be enough for them two small antennas. They are held on with 4 rivets.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:48 PM

Ever have those tasks while building that you keep putting off because you know it's going to suck? Well for me it was tidying things up in the center tunnel. I decided to go ahead and get it done. With some awkward poses and lots of time laying on my stomach here it is. Came out pretty good. Still need to finish up the fuel pump connection and put some anti-chafe on the fuel lines.

As always let me know if you see anything concerning.

P.S. I am also planning on puting some 1/4" thick foam strips under and above everything as well before the cover goes on.

20191221_164831 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20191221_164816 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 PM

Default time to grip and rip!

I finally have some grips in the ole bird! The installation of the Tolsten grips was easy peezy. I did have to take off about 1.5 inches from the stock length of the sticks which I really didn't want to do. I wanted to keep the sticks as long as possible but there was interference with the controls. Sounds like a lot of people have this same problem and 1.5 inches is very common. Now the wiring of the grips commences, ok I really just have to connect the wires. lol

20191228_140743 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Now, I have never been really happy with how my sticks moved. It was absolutely friction-less in the roll axis but I always felt the pitch was too tight. I decided to do a little bit of research and bounce some ideas off of wirejock as well. Unfortunately I needed to get a couple of them bolts out that were so beautifully cottered and get to the bottom of this.

In a nutshell ANY amount of side force on the control column bearings will result in friction. You can feel it very easily if you grab the bearing with your fingers and try and turn it. Bottom line your washers/spacers need to be spot on. Here in lies my problem and my eventual solution...

With the pilot side bolted I focused my efforts on the passenger side. The instructions tell you to play with washer combinations between the weldment and mount/bearing. See pic below

Capture2 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I suppose a guy could sit there and keep trying different washer combinations but it wasn't working for me so I decided to get a little more precise. I put AN960 washers in but left a little bit of a gap instead of trying to force another one in. Then I put a feeler gauge in the gap to see what size I truly needed. In my case I needed to fill a gap of 0.056" (yes I could have put another 960L in there but my test shim would not have been of convenient thickness) and on the other side 0.016". I fabricated a couple of test pieces out of aluminum just to check my theory.

20191229_124124 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Sure enough, when you bolt that puppy down there is absolutely no increase in friction. She moves on air now!

Now, how to make this a little more permanent? I did some searching online for shim stock, etc. etc. It just wasn't coming up with anything. Then the light bulb. Hey, I bet I could make little washers out of my feeler gauges that only cost 6 bucks on amazon. It was almost like them things were made for this, when you take em apart they are just barely bigger than an AN960 washer and even had a 3/16" hole already!!!

20191229_134514 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I cut them on my shear and bolted all the spacers down between some AN960s to hold it all together.

20191229_134706 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then I ground the edges down and smoothed it out. Same diameter as a 960 now.

20191229_135011 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here are the finished washers after a bit of deburring.

20191229_135314 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, bolt it all in and it's good to go! It is amazing how much smoother it moves now. Seriously though, get this right and it pays off big. I hope this helps someone else someday.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 PM

I love this forum. I was having the same issue but my ?lightbulb? was busted. Thanks for the write up. It is funny that when someone else figures out a solution ,that it was so ? obvious?.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow108 View Post
I love this forum. I was having the same issue but my ?lightbulb? was busted. Thanks for the write up. It is funny that when someone else figures out a solution ,that it was so ? obvious?.
No problem at all, I'm glad it could help someone!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:18 PM

Jereme,

Maybe you answered this in a different post but why are you using a different nut than what the plans call out for?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc pilot View Post
Jereme,

Maybe you answered this in a different post but why are you using a different nut than what the plans call out for?
Bill, the only reason is that they give me the warm and fuzzies. I would be ok with an AN365 but I like the added safety of these. There are a few of them bolts that if they come loose it would not end well, I feel the added safety was worth it.