Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2019, 12:00 AM

Default Brake fire... should I file insurance?

Hi guys-
Recently had a brake fire, from a recent brake lock up after landing and during taxi, on my 6A...

This resulted in the tire, wheel pant and fairing, brake lines at the wheel and possibly the brake assembly burning up fairly good. We are waiting to hear from a mechanic, but anticipating that the cost to fix might be between 3-4K. Trying to figure out the best route, pay out of pocket or file an insurance claim (no deductible). I?m new to all this, so if anyone has any thoughts I?d love the feedback and to hear if anyone has been in this same boat.

Secondary- does anyone have any experience with a brake fire- any salvageable parts? We probably had close to a minute of fire exposure.

Thanks again!

Becca
Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 AM

Wow hard to imagine it could cost that much. A new wheel, brake, tire, flex line for brake line, and the fiberglass parts.

Find a home-builder (I mean an airplane builder, not a house builder in your area that is willing to help. You'll be flying again in a couple of weekends.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 AM

Instead of the Mil-H-5606 brake fluid, I use Royco 782 Fire Resistant Brake Fluid.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 AM

Sorry no advice on the direction to go, I would talk with my insurance agent about the potential issues there. but that is me. You have arrived at the right forum for making some good builder contacts in your area!!

As an owner, you should get the digital parts and construction manual from Vans. You (or mechanic) can get prices from Vans, and they are the best available. Only an owner can buy many of the parts, you certainly qualify.

Also, you may (likely) have older wheel pants, so do some research on the new pressure recovery style. It is a good opportunity for upgrade. Faster too, significantly.

The dragging of the brakes due to sticking pedals is not uncommon, and might be the root cause. There are some off-plan improvements for the condition. An RV expert could look and tell you.

As an owner, you also have access to Vans technical assistance call line.

Keep us posted!

RV-7

Last edited by BillL : 12-25-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Insurance

If you have a no deductable policy and the cost is going to be several thousand dollars, file a claim! Otherwise why have insurance?
If you are worrying about the premiums going up because you filed, then find another company. After your laim. Just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 AM

Default this just happened to a friend

Conditioning his kit-standard brakes prior to airworthiness inspection. Said he was doing extended 30-40mph taxi with brakes applied. Wheel pants on. At end of second run the length of the taxiway he saw smoke rolling out both sides. RV-10, Conventional non-Royco brake fluid, standard nitrile O-rings. Extinguished the flaming side with a fire extinguisher. The other side was smoldering, both tires ruined. Both brake rotors said to be deeply scored - no idea how. He's understandably pretty bummed to come this close to first flight and almost lose the plane. I'd give him my Matco's and wheel pants off my one-year-to-go build and get back in line for more parts if I could.

This raises several questions/ issues. What is the recommended procedure for breaking in the brake linings?

Should there be a ground crewman with radio present for this procedure to watch for smoke?

Should the pants ever be on while this is done? His take about 2 hours to remove/reinstall for reasons unclear to me - mine come off and on in a jiffy. This inconvenience clearly played a role in his decision not to go pant-less for brake conditioning runs.

Do we need more airflow in the pants, especially if not upgrading to bigger brakes, more temp-tolerant fluids and parts? This seems to be a relatively rare event, but such a potential tragedy. A brake fire could cost one of us an airplane, or leave us stranded in the bush. Having happened to a fellow builder who has been such an encouragement to me, it hits really close to home.

Sad day.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 AM

One of the first questions they ask on an insurance application is "Have you had any claims within the past ___ years?"
Recent claims DO have an effect on your premiums, whether keeping your current underwriter or switching companies. There was a recent post from a gentlemen who was selling his -8 after several claims within a short period of time causing his premiums to skyrocket to 12K. Bite the bullet and fix it out of pocket, it may very well be cheaper in the long run. Save the insurance for when you really need it, (hopefully never).
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 08-01-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Add
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd;1363436}
This raises several questions/ issues. What is the recommended procedure for breaking in the brake linings?

Should there be a ground crewman with radio present for this procedure to watch for smoke?

Should the pants ever be on while this is done? His take about 2 hours to remove/reinstall for reasons unclear to me - mine come off and on in a jiffy. This inconvenience clearly played a role in his decision not to go pant-less for brake conditioning runs.

Do we need more airflow in the pants, especially if not upgrading to bigger brakes, more temp-tolerant fluids and parts? This seems to be a relatively rare event, but such a potential tragedy. A brake fire could cost one of us an airplane, or leave us stranded in the bush. Having happened to a fellow builder who has been such an encouragement to me, it hits really close to home.

Sad day.

[url=https://imgur.com/SPjUuaA
[/url]
Bill,

Here?s a Cleveland brake doc...about page 11 or 12 they go over a new lining break in procedure.

https://www.parker.com/parkerimages/...9-65%20Kit.pdf

I do it pants off...wheel, that is~ One taxi run, shutdown, jump out and check for anything amiss. If good, repeat...

Hope that helps.

Rob
New Braunfels, Texas (KBAZ)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:30 AM

I think part of your decision also depends on how comfortable you are doing things yourself. I can't see the cost of fixing this to be more then 500$ if you do it yourself.

Personally I just can't see myself giving somebody that much money to do it for me.... . You can see it as an opportunity to get into the building part of experimental airplanes without actually having to build a whole airplane.

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 08-01-2019, 11:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I would have the boyfriend, (Wingnut) fix the plane, but unfortunately he?s working out of town for quite a stretch, and so I?m having to go the A&P route, which will be a lot pricier.

If you notice a dragging or stuck brake, what is the best protocol in that situation?

Thanks again for the feedback!