- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 AM

On to the VS!

After mounting the HS on the fuselage last time I realized I still hadn't drilled the elevator horn lower hole for the push tube. So I took it off, drilled the holes and remounted with the elevators. I also decided to finish the trim tab hinge pin and safety wire it (not sure why Van's doesn't give you the right length hinge pin until the fuselage?).

20190419_102740 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I tried to fabricated the F-712D up elevator stop a week ago but I just wasn't happy with the edge distance as set by the plans so I fabricated a new one and attached to the fuse. (also weird is that Van's gives you a piece of 1 x 1-1/4 angle for this but the largest dimension is only 13/16)

20190419_122438 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After temporarily putting the VS onto the fuse to see how much I needed to trim the front spar it was time to trim. I have heard by some that if you trim the full 5/8" sometimes there is edge distance issues. I trimmed 9/16" and that seemed to work out.

20190419_142913 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I spent a great deal of time marking and measuring this piece and sighted through the four bolt holes on the HS to place it. I drilled one of the lower corner holes #30 and and clamped it down.

20190419_142927 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally it was time to clamp the VS on and do the tedious task of measuring and adjusting to get the VS perfectly square with the HS. After that was done I drill the bolt holes in the back. I still have to drill the rivet holes on the front spar but I had to call it a night. This thing is starting to look like an airplane. Also looks like I can't open my garage door until the empennage is totally finished. haha

20190419_164306 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 PM

Oh boy here goes nothing! After playing around with the Van's empennage fairing a bit I decided to toss it in the trash, gaposis everywhere with that thing! My mother would never let me go in public with that on! Looks like I will be having fun making my own, more work for sure but I have seen what the end result can look like. Plus, I'll get some more experience with fiberglass before I do the canopy skirt.

I took the tape trick from someone else who did this on an RV-4.

20190422_160332 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Now instead of using modeling clay or foam (both of which are expensive) I decided to just use some 20 min drywall mud. So far this seems to work well. I mixed the batch rather thick and squeezed it out of a bag in thick large beads. Did some magic with a small drywall knife and then smoothed it out with my hand and some wet rags. This is just the first coat and I will get it much much closer to final shape before I even think about laying fiberglass on it.

20190422_203830 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The only downside to using drywall mud is it is way more difficult to sand after the fact than foam (gonna have to use power tools for that one probably haha). However, you can do a tremendous amount of shaping before it sets. The first coat looks decent and will serve as a good base.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
The only downside to using drywall mud is it is way more difficult to sand after the fact than foam (gonna have to use power tools for that one probably haha). However, you can do a tremendous amount of shaping before it sets. The first coat looks decent and will serve as a good base.
Go for it Jereme! Just remember the Golden Rule: Time spent getting the mold or form perfect now pays a large dividend in weight and time later.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
The only downside to using drywall mud is it is way more difficult to sand after the fact than foam (gonna have to use power tools for that one probably haha).
I use plaster of paris. It will set up faster, same to sand.

I found the drywall mud can take days to dry if used exclusively, but is great as the topping coats, just use the sanding screens.

Just finished a mold for shrinking my cooling exit!

RV-7

Last edited by BillL : 04-23-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM

Oh boy...that stuff is the bane of my existence. Just finished the kitchen remodel.
I hope it works well for you Jereme.

Is that duct tape?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Go for it Jereme! Just remember the Golden Rule: Time spent getting the mold or form perfect now pays a large dividend in weight and time later.
Haha that comment from your sticky in the fiber glass section is CONSTANTLY on my mind while I'm working with the mud! Thanks for the reminder and the great tutorial in the fiberglass tips thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I use plaster of paris. It will set up faster, same to sand.

I found the drywall mud can take days to dry if used exclusively, but is great as the topping coats, just use the sanding screens.

Just finished a mold for shrinking my cooling exit!
Very interesting Bill, I have never worked with that before, I will definitely give that a try next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Oh boy...that stuff is the bane of my existence. Just finished the kitchen remodel.
I hope it works well for you Jereme.

Is that duct tape?
Yep I used black duct tape, although I would highly recommend gorilla tape as some of them pieces span a long ways so the stronger the better.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm waiting for the next steps. I wouldn't even know where to start on something like this.

Ray
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM

I did wing root fairings on a Midget Mustang. It is not hard to do a good job. I used packing tape and the glass released from it very easy. Duct tape is easier to not acidently sand through though.

I used two part expanding foam. Wicks has some that is inexpensive and works good. Don't even think about using something like Great Stuff foam from a can. It dries rubbery and is almost impossible to sand. The two part stuff dries to a hard crunchy foam that is very east to sand. Scratches the **** out of your eyes if you rub them with the dust on your hands and probably not good to breath so recommend a mask.

The effort you take to make everything perfectly smooth before glassing pays off in not having to do a ton of filling and sanding the glass later which also adds weight.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
I'm waiting for the next steps. I wouldn't even know where to start on something like this.

Ray
Dan H has a pretty good tutorial here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
I did wing root fairings on a Midget Mustang. It is not hard to do a good job. I used packing tape and the glass released from it very easy. Duct tape is easier to not acidently sand through though.

I used two part expanding foam. Wicks has some that is inexpensive and works good. Don't even think about using something like Great Stuff foam from a can. It dries rubbery and is almost impossible to sand. The two part stuff dries to a hard crunchy foam that is very east to sand. Scratches the **** out of your eyes if you rub them with the dust on your hands and probably not good to breath so recommend a mask.

The effort you take to make everything perfectly smooth before glassing pays off in not having to do a ton of filling and sanding the glass later which also adds weight.
I hear ya, I would like to use the foam stuff but didn't want to wait a week on it, figured I could get results with the mud, we will see. I have worked with fiberglass and carbon fiber before so we will see if I still got it! haha
Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Here we are after a second coat and a third coat to fill low spots. The shape is quite close as compared to the Van's fairing. It is time to sand and shape a little more and then I will see if I have any low spots to fill but overall it is coming out pretty decent. The edges in the picture look a little rough because I shaped quite a bit to get it tangent to the tail feathers. The sanding will take that chipped look out.

20190424_211837 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr