View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 09:39 AM

Default My thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamblin10 View Post
I have to ask why I see so many RV-9/9A builds installing 360 engines when the recommended maximum is a 320? You still should not exceed Vne, and it adds weight and fuel burn. The only advantage I can see would be on climb performance if you live up in Leadville. Am I missing something. Would like to know as I plan out a -9A. Thanks!
I really thought hard about the 360; it is soooo tempting. but I put in the 320 because I wanted others to be safe. the 360 can fly real close to Vne and any push over during cruise risks exceeding Vne. For the conscientious pilot it is not a problem. But if my son or daughters were to fly my plane, or someone not as familiar, I am worried it would be a problem. Others have the need for the extra power, but i don't, so i didn't. The fuse is the same firewall forward as the RV7, so a 360 is not that hard to shoe horn in.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com