What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Clay,

They are just "Legend Lights" available at Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/legendlights.php

They are made in several colors including clear. Stack em horizontally, vertically, or just position as desired. I arranged 6 into a modular prewired package and the unit is attached to the back of the instrument panel with 2 nutplates. For custom lettering not available from among those commonly sold...such as "Canopy Lock" use your word program and a suitable font or a Brother electronic labeler.

Last edited:
Legend Lights

Rick;
Just curious; for switchable functions like landing lights or boost pump, why use both a switch and a separate annunciator light instead of a single illuminated pushbutton switch?
Also, will your EFIS panels give you any of these warnings? I'm interested in having certain functions and situations annunciated too, but most EFIS screens provide a way to do this. Just how attention-getting the warning will be in the middle of an EFIS display is my question. If you provide a second warning light for the same function, and they're both driven by the same sensor, then are you really accomplishing anything?
I'm trying to please both the KISS principle as well as the, "I'd rather die than look bad" pilot-mentality-reality. Tough.
Your panel looks to be just primed right now, what's the final color?
Clay Cook
I'm getting to like the smell of Pro-Seal, should I worry?

Clay,

You CAN use illuminated pushbutton switches. When it comes to panel design, there are so many variables that at some point the builder simply has to take a certain tack and just run with it. I wanted to minimize switches and breakers on the panel. You can blame Paul Dye for some of my design influences. First, I was so enamored of his Space Shuttle toggle switch guards that I knew I had to have them. Then his homemade annunciator panel looked so cool I had to make something similiar (and colorful). :) Lucky for me, the parts I used are available off the shelf. My light configuration is (mostly) wired to illuminate when the circuit is on so they are not really "warning lights" per se. The builder always reserves the option to make things as simple or complex as desired. Finally, simple fellow I am, I shot the panel with Tempo black wrinkle paint marketed for such use. From past experience, I know it is tough stuff for rattle can paint and holds up really well. Even though slightly textured, it readily accepts dry transfers.

Brighter Legend Lights

"They are made in several colors including clear. Stack em horizontally, vertically, or just position as desired. I arranged 6 into a modular prewired package and the unit is attached to the back of the instrument panel with 2 nutplates. For custom lettering not available from among those commonly sold...such as "Canopy Lock" use your word program and a suitable font or a Brother electronic labeler. "

I find that the Legend Lights are not bright enough to grab my attention in sunlit conditions. To cure the problem I am in the process of replacing the little "grain of wheat" bulbs with bright LED lights. I can't report results yet but thought I would mention it.

Randy C
RV7A SUBE STI

I've been waiting years for this post!

OK, here it is. Nothing's wired for real, but the EFIS is running off of my power supply.

231024736-L.jpg

231024765-L.jpg

Cheers!
Guy

Alt electrical source

Guy, I see an alternate elec source switch, I think? Is tha dual alternator or batt backup? THx.

What is your general mission? Night VFR? I ask, as you've pretty much stolen my RV-9A panel plan ;)

GOod luck, Rick 90432

Guy, I see an alternate elec source switch, I think? Is tha dual alternator or batt backup? THx.

What is your general mission? Night VFR? I ask, as you've pretty much stolen my RV-9A panel plan ;)

GOod luck, Rick 90432

My general mission is day/night VFR. I'm using a single battery and alternator with an endurance buss similar to Aeroelectric Z-11 (I think). In case of an electrical issue, I can just pull the alternator field breaker (if it's not already blown) and switch to the endurance Buss. The AFS 3500 and GPS have their own internal battery backups, however the EFIS will still be on the endurance buss.

G

I like this panel design.

Beside the obvious aesthetic value of the symmetrical design, it's clear that you've thought about operational issues.

For example, you put the seldom used functions/switches on the far right where they won't usually be operated in flight. The other switches are grouped so that you operate them just by feel without looking. You've also left some blanks for the inevitable panel upgrade.

Of course, the EFIS is right up front and centered where it should be.

The only concern I have is that the GPSMap may be hard to read unless it's right under your nose. My 296 is difficult to see with my tired eyes. If this is a problem, an angle mount may help.

Nice design!

Wow

Guy,

That panel looks awesome. I love the layout. It appears to be well thought out and the symetrical appearance, I think, always is key to an attractive panel.

Congratulations. Oh, Can I steal some of the layout ideas?

Guy,

That panel looks awesome. I love the layout. It appears to be well thought out and the symetrical appearance, I think, always is key to an attractive panel.

Congratulations. Oh, Can I steal some of the layout ideas?

Thanks! I think I stole most of the layout ideas anyway, so go ahead! I've looked at and photographed literally hundreds of panels while working on my plane. My switch layout wound up being almost identical to the layout in the first RV-8 I ever saw. Credit should go to Jim Daniels--I just saw the logic in his design and copied it.

Guy

Another panel

Here's another one to look at:

As you can see, it's still in the early stages, but you get the idea.

Great Panel

Guy,

I love your panel. My designs on epanel builder are almost identical. I saw you are using the Flightcom intercom. Does it have enough inputs to handle the music/voice warnings from the Garmin and the input from the AFS3500? I would like to use both in my panel, and want an intercom that can do it all.

Milestone

My RV-8 instrument panel was planned and layed out using nothing more than taped on full size paper and cardboard mockups, repositioning the individual images until I finally got the look I wanted. A PM1000 intercom is installed on the right side console below the instrument panel. My example features a super bright Dynon D100, MVP-50 engine monitor, Garmin SL-30 nav/com, and a TruTrak ADI Pilot II. An unexpected and nice feature about the SL-30 is a special serial pinout that allows it to "talk" to the Dynon giving it an HSI display capability. John Stark was nice enough to make me aware of that unexpected feature and he made up the SL-30 wiring harness accordingly. Neat stuff. Stark and Stein pre-made and well labeled harnesses made the hookups easy. I cut some of the instrument holes in with a fly cutter and others using a fiber cut off disk. The black finish is rattle can wrinkle paint. This morning, I fired it all up for the first time and I must say it is gratifying to not smell smoke! I even tweaked the starter to see if the prop would move.....it does. :) Later, a sill mounted Garmin 496 will handle the navigation chores. I have a few more audio hookups and other odds and ends to finish up before finally nailing on the top upper skin. The standard built fuselage kit was delivered 10 months ago, March past.

http://imageshack.us]
instrumentpanel05928gr6.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Panel

Rick,
Like your panel. Nice, effecient, well thought out. Especially like the legends. Nice to know that about the SL-30. I'm mounting an ADI Pilot II also.
What a great instrument. You'll have to keep me posted as to how it performs when you start flying.
Mike H 9A/8A

Rich,

Very nice panel, I like the finish on the panel as well.

Is the annunciator panel on the right side homemade, or did you find the six pack of lights someplace?

Thanks

.....Is the annunciator panel on the right side homemade, or did you find the six pack of lights someplace?....
Thanks Mike,

I made up the annunciator group from individual Legend Lights available at Spruce. You can easily organize and group them vertically, horizontally, etc. using whatever colors you happen to find personally appealing. Using your printer, you can make up custom labels like I did with "Canopy Lock."
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/legendlights.php

Additional annunciator details are described here.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21490

Panel

This my RV-8 panel. As you can see I have a GRT Dual Sport and a EIS4000 with altitude and airspeed option, SL30, GTX327, PS4000, 496 and MicroAir 760. It works great and the folks at GRT are super.

image.php
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Panel

Well this wiring stuff just keeps on going. I think its breeding. Still need PTT on the sticks and elevator trim to go. AF-3500,Garmin 327, SL-30, Trutrak ADI Pilot I, Garmin 296 upgrading to 496.
Paint is rattle can wrinkle finish.

Fuselage%201280.jpg

Fuselage%201281.jpg

Fuselage%201282.jpg

RV-8 panel layout

Hi,

here's my NES question. You are flying an RV8, engine instruments are better on the right and radio on the left or viceversa. A friend of mine told me that a standard is engine inst on the right. I'm waiting your opinion.

Thanx

rv-8 Panel

Buona sera Luca

I would say that there is no best placement for radios and engine instruments. It is a personal choice. Placements should depend upon how you fly and your comfort level using your both hands to tune radios. Can you tune a radio with your left hand while flying? If not then you should place your radios closer to your right hand.

When flying the RV-8 if your right hand is on the stick and your left hand is on the throttle and you have to change radio frequencies which hand would you rather use?

The hand you use will then dictate where best to place the radios. Sit in the cockpit and think of the times when you have to make changes to the radio. Then paste some pictures on your panel and go through the motions. Keep track of your hand, eye and head movements. Avoid any cross body movements when possible.

If you are going to install an all electric panel you can use the center section of the RV-8 panel to istall both EFIS and EMS displays.

I'll post some examples.

Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish
N468 RV (reserved)
Bridgewater, MA

RV-8 Panels

Below are some views of my almost completed RV-8 Panel. The only item not accounted for is an AOA LED display that will be mounted on the glare shield.

I spent a lot of time sitting in the cockpit with mock ups and going through various scenarios such as take off, landing, EFIS/radio management. My first goal was to minimize hand and head movement. My second goal to have a balanced panel. I.E. symmetical placement of items. Of course it had to look good too!

After taking these pictures I ended up placing a switch guard around the external power switch on the bottom of the panel. My knee hit the switch a few times while getting into the cockpit. Keep this in mind when placing switches.

Left View
panelleftviewlu7.jpg

Right View
panelrightviewqe4.jpg

Rear View
rearviewnt9.jpg

Mike Draper
RV-8 N468RV (reserved)
Bridgewater, MA

Last edited:
Armrest Mods

Near the beginning of this string the question was asked about internal structure of the armrest mod in N444TX. If any pictures of these or similar mods are around, I cant seem to find them. They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Can anyone help?

Thinking about the backseater here.
I'm thinking about a top-centre EFIS but with backup ASI, Alt, T&S and compass.
Is there a good location to put these so that the backseater can have a basic panel view?
Alternative is a slave EFIS screen on the seat back - anyone tried that?

Alternative is a slave EFIS screen on the seat back - anyone tried that?

That's my plan--still a long way to go, but I just finished bending a sheet of aluminum into a small panel for the back seat. My plan is an MGL Odyssey in the front with a slaved Enigma in back connected via USB cable, and both connected to the battery backup. It comes out about 3 1/2" from the top of the front seat.

Finally getting somewhere

Here is my panel progress. First picture is after my first pass of silkscreening.
The second is with first test fit of hardware.

Yes, chalk another up for shamelessly copying Paul's annunciator location.

Is there any prize for "slowest build" RV-8? Because I am certainly in the running.:) 10 years and counting!

PS. Sorry about the first posting image size.

Last edited:
Yes, chalk another up for shamelessly copying Paul's annunciator location.

Oh dear....now I've gone and changed my Annunciator configuration to install the taller GRT HS screens....does that mean a bunch of folks are going to have to alter their panels to match?!:p:D

Paul

Compass needs more room....

Hi Luca,

It looks like you have a vertical card Compass in the upper right - I learned the hard way that it has a "box" that protrudes well below the bottom of the instrument so that you need to have more than "normal" spacing between it and the gauge below it. (I had cut my panel and bought a VC compass and had to change to an old-fashioned standard compass).

Paul

Hi,

here's my first panel layout. Sure you have some ideas for me.

http://www.rv8.it/immagini/panel_D.jpg

Please let me know

Thanks

Molto bene!

You might have to swap the location of the radio and transponder so that the radio does not hit the cross brace behind the panel.

What is the instrument (red/red/black LEDs/switches) in the upper right hand corner? Can you provide a list of the electonics in your panel?

What would the panel look like with the larger size Dynon Efis? Will it fit?

Ciao,

Mike
RV-8
working on the bafles

Molto bene!

What is the instrument (red/red/black LEDs/switches) in the upper right hand corner? Can you provide a list of the electonics in your panel?

What would the panel look like with the larger size Dynon Efis? Will it fit?

Ciao,

Mike
RV-8
working on the bafles

Hi Mike,

red/red/black LEDs in the upper right corner is the small annunciator panel of the ELT ACK E-01. The other leds over the hour-meter is a CO2 Guardian.
List of electronics in my panel is :
- Dynon EFIS D10A (no vacuum pump on engine, easy and nice 4 the money)
- Electronics International Engine Monitor UBG-16 (4CHT, 4EGT, MAP, Carb. Temperature probes)
- Stack of Van's engine instruments (fuel level R&L, fuel pressure, ammeter, oil pressure&temperature, tachometer)
- Garmin 496 wired with D-10A for HSI simple funcion
- Garmin SL40 (SL30 NAV/COM is not certified in Italy and too expensive)
- GTX 330 or 328 XPDR :)( I need an expensive Sierra mode in IT)
- Intercom PM100II (before buy it I want to try the Garmin SL40 Intercom)
- A simple timer (probably GT-50 from Van's)
- Electric trim leds and switch

Thanks of interest to everybody

Luca

My RV-8 panel

Last Friday flew the Lance to Stein's to pick up our RV-8 panel, just completed. They did a great job! AFS 3400, Dynon D-10A, Garmin 430, 340, 330 and SL30 with TruTrak Digiflight II VSGV and ADI. Tru Trak can be slaved to the 430 or the AFS 3400. Both EFIS's have back up batteries as does the ADI. Two alternators after Nuckolls with small back up battery for the endurance bus and 20 amp alternator. Can't wait to fly behind this panel! Do we need 2 engines now??? Thread to photo below.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4842/p10204782ly8.jpg

Nice panel!

Bill,
That's a great looking setup! I haven't gotten far enough on my EIGHT to consider electrical architecture yet or panel stuff. I do like the AFS though.
Regards,

Panel

Brent: Thanks for kind words. Have you looked at AeroElectric Connection? Bob Nuckolls has a wealth of experience and good ideas in his "book." Bill

Now I'm jealous!

Bill,

That is about the best laid out panel I've ever seen. Did you do the layout or Stein and Company? (Steinway?)

John

panel

I did initial layout on e-panel builder with the help of two ex airlline pilots and their suggestions. Then Stein added further input, including changing from round TruTrak to the flat pac. He found inaccuracies in the e-panel layout, i.e. things that worked on that software but not in the real world. Len Kaufman had the idea of a removable panel for the CB's. Between that CB panel, the hole the AFS 3400 is in and an access from back of fwd luggage we should be able to get at most things behind the panel without removing it. The idea of the design was redundancy and avoidance of serious single failure points. Thanks for your kind words. Bill

RV-8 panel

Awesome panel, Bill. The G-meter was not lost on me, either, as once you get into the acro, stuff, as you have for so long, it's very difficult to extract the needle from the vein! Congratulations.
Tom Navar
Pitts S2A

Len Kaufman had the idea of a removable panel for the CB's. Between that CB pane

Bill,

Why did you go with CBs? I know that aerolectric recommends automotive fuse blocks. (please no warfare!!). Just curious to your personal choice is all.

Why CB's?

Craig C: Good question. Partly because they can be reset easily without looking for fuses, and I could afford them. Panel space is saved, since combo of CB's and switch/CB's takes less space, I think, than all fuses. As you know, Nuckolls doesn't think the reset ability is a big deal. Nevertheless, transients might trip a CB or blow a fuse and the circuit may function OK if fuse replaced or CB reset (and/or if steps taken to reduce loads). Bob N feels diagnostics and correction in flight are less important than designing for the capability to continue without such efforts. But if there's time it might be nice to just flip a switch/CB down and up to see. Tom Stearman did a great setup with fuses in his RV-4. Van's used the auto fuses on the RV-12; it's a good alternative - cheap and light. The removable CB panel would ease access for updates/changes/replacement in the future and gives a little access to the back of the panel; fuses on such a panel would give the same advantage. Like all of us I made some choices and will see how those work out in the future. Trying to make these decisions was one of the challenging and fun parts of building an airplane - and I'm not done yet! Whatever, good luck with your build. Bill

Back