What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 2.1.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------
Daily RV Pic
7 Ship going up for a bomb burst. Photo taken by Dean Wingard.
VAFDR_ 165 Jan. 31.jpg

It’s ALIVE!
Today was a seminal day in the life of N585SS. First engine start! My feet haven’t touched ground yet.

New Garmin 1.3” NAV/COMM Radios - Garmin GNC 215 and GTR 205 Now Available (1/31/2024)
Hi everyone, the team continues working hard to bring new products to you. We’re proud to unveil the latest slim, 1.3” NAV/COMM radios the GTR 205 COMM and GNC 215 NAV/COMM.
VAFDR_ 172 Jan. 31.jpg

RV7 Tanks - Open and rebuild or Build New...fixnflyguy
As others mentioned, clean the mating surfaces of excess sealant on the flanges so the tanks fit in place. I have done that for others using sharp plastic scrapers and scotchbrite without using any chemical removal that could contaminate the sealant. Use a cheap borescope through the filler neck and the fuel quantity sender plate to see general workmanship and sealing inside. last but not least if your satisfied there, cap the feed/vent lines and fill them with 100LL and let sit for a couple weeks. As others have also said, cutting open the backs for full inside clean and reseal is a fairly easy job. I've done a bunch of those. Here's a couple pics from various reseals of leakers. I cut the hole with a pin router bit, which takes a bout a minute each, then a quick clean-up with a drum sander. Others use a hole saw which also works well. I make my own plates from .050 or .063 2024. The sealed end pop rivets come from ACS and are cheap.
VAFDR_ 166 Jan. 31.jpg

Al Karpinski Panel
Here’s mine… Originally posted back in 2020
VAFDR_ 173 Jan. 31.jpg

Flutter Wiggle Shimmy Ever See This?
RESOLVED: See post 👆🏻#41 for what actions last taken. Seems to have stopped the inflight rotation of nose wheel. New tire, balanced better than out of the box ( not perfect) , and drag flap on tire. Flew today, video link attached, no white dot seen ( yes I put one on new tire ) . My conclusion right or wrong, the flat spot made tire waay out of balance, flat spot caught a bit more wind, equals a big wobbly mess. Thanks for everyone’s input. Good AS mod, but keep your nose tire in good shape. Cheers
VAFDR_ 167 Jan. 31.jpg

Question re: Rv7 roll servo wire routing
I used a longer bolt and an adel clamp at the top of the bellcrank bracket, and another adel clamp on the inboard rib:
VAFDR_ 168 Jan. 31.jpg

Firewall Insulation Retrofit
I am one of Dan’s beta test sites for firewall insulation kit. I elected to go with the heavier SS foil (0.005) and thicker tumescent insulation (0.1). The heavier foil allowed me to score it which gave it a quilted look and almost eliminated the reflected wave look. That step was not part of the install instructions but was my touch and I hope it makes Dan a smidge proud of the outcome. The quilting also hides little dents that occur during the install.
VAFDR_ 169 Jan. 31.jpg

Celebratory & Thank you Discount - Cranford Aviation
"...With that said, I wanted to thank all of you on VAF for supporting my small business. And as a thanks, I am offering 7% off your entire order from now till the end of February. Please use Coupon code: VAF2024 at link: CranfordAviation..."

G3X Update
(Justin at Garmin) "We will roll out GDU 4XX v9.32 in the coming days. This update will include an update that will address the intermittent "No TIS-B Service" and associated loss of traffic information. Thank you for the feedback provided that assisted us in diagnosing the problem here."

MacCool's FT-60 ...a datapoint
My FT-60 is installed on the firewall right after the tank selector, then to the Weldon boost pump (also on the firewall, then to the engine-driven pump, then fuel servo then engine. 90° angles and everything. Choice made by the guy that my airplane's OB selected to do firewall forward 12 years ago. Works well, no fluctuations.
VAFDR_ 170 Jan. 31.jpg

Making hangars habitable
My hangar is a 36x48 pole barn I erected myself 25 years ago. It's been wonderful having the plane two apple-chucks from the back door and under roof. But it has not been without its shortcomings owing to the general austerity of the building itself and the budget I had to sink into it. I was able to get it built for a grand outlay of about 15k over the years - half that for concrete and the rest for lumber, trusses and siding/roofing (1990's pricing). Since then it has been what it is - holding up well but attracting bushels of grass clippings, wasp droppings and spider webs. It's lighted but not heated or insulated, has no ceiling, the wind blows easily under and around the sliding doors, a bit of rain drips through the skylight panels. In the summer I can sometimes hardly do maintenance on the plane for all the sweat pouring off my brow by 10AM. In the winter the tools can become too cold to touch without sticking to them like a kid licking a flagpole.
VAFDR_ 174 Jan. 31.jpg

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 175 Jan. 31.jpg

Back