What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Xcruze 100 vs Trio ?

Python

Hi , I’m looking at an Autopilot for my RV 6 & have narrowed it down to either a Xcruze or a Trio. I have limited panel space but could put it in a standard 3-1/8 inch hole. I’m also looking at using a Garmin aera 660 to couple to it. Any information & experience would be appreciated. Cheers 🐍.P.S I have only ruled out Garmin & Dynon because my EFIS is an AV 30.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my Trio EZ-Pilot and EZ-3 altitude hold. The factory help and customer service has been great and they stand behind their products. Everything is easy to use. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase their products again. I have a 496 feeding up and I'm planning to upgrade to an Aero 760 - should interface well between my EZ-Pilot and ForeFlight.

I don't know anything about Xcruse.

Hi , I’m looking at an Autopilot for my RV 6 & have narrowed it down to either a Xcruze or a Trio. I have limited panel space but could put it in a standard 3-1/8 inch hole. I’m also looking at using a Garmin sera 660 to couple to it. Any information & experience would be appreciated. Cheers 🐍.
I have a Trio Pro in a -10, usually driven thru a GRT Hx and a Garmin 420W, but can ‘stand alone’ without the Hx. Great autopilot. 3 1/8” model includes slip-skid ball and digital turn coordinator. If your -6 has electric pitch trim and you plan on using it for approaches, get the autotrim option.

I use a Trio EZ-3 and I’ve used the earlier Tru-Trak in an 8 I used to own. the Trio is pretty ordinary (wouldn’t recommend) isn’t as good as the TT. I’ve also used Garmin, Dynon and Century. Out of all of them Garmin is the best followed by Dynon

I use a Trio EZ-3 and I’ve used the earlier Tru-Trak in an 8 I used to own. the Trio is pretty ordinary (wouldn’t recommend) isn’t as good as the TT. I’ve also used Garmin, Dynon and Century. Out of all of them Garmin is the best followed by Dynon
My Trio and alt. hold servo have worked without fail for 900 hours. Great folks in San Diego if you need help.

The Dynon servo brackets/kits for Roll and Pitch work fine for mounting the TruTrak servos. They are readily available & not expensive.
Used them to install TruTrak in 3 RV-6's.

Note, on the used market, you can find TruTrak servos... but *most* are "DSB". Digital Servo Basic. Those are used for Roll only on the newer TT heads. They don't have trim feedback (to indicate need to trim up or down). The proper Pitch servo (for other than the old ALTTRAK box), is a DSP.

Also if you need the longer arm, the Dynon long arm fits the TT servo.

Back