What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would there be any interest??? Prefab RV-12 Parts

...You MUST wait until AFTER the DAR signs off on the aircraft...

Well understood, and that's exactly why I asked. Just trying to gauge whether I'll be the first to have to figure out how to install it on a finished plane. Of course, I won't be first if I don't get with the program and get the sucker done.

Ah, but that's a different thread.

John and all...

That looks like a good project to work on. I'll stick it on the list. Just please remember that we are working on a whole bunch of different items. And they all take a while to get done correctly.

But, we are working on them.

Steve

Just wanted to provide a brief update on where we are on some of the rv-12 items that we are doing.

1. The RV-12 door lock is coming along nicely. It's going to be a really nice setup and will easily retrofit to a flying airplane, or can be installed during the build. After the conceptual 3d models, and the 3d printed model, we just had the first parts come off the mill yesterday. Now we are doing some testing on the pieces before we send them off to our beta tester. We anticipate sending him the handle in 3 weeks or so, and will hopefully have the locks available for sale by the end of the year.

2. The RV-12 rotax replacement fuel system is also coming along very well. Due to the multiple reports of varying fuel pressures, we have worked hard to get a system that is foolproof and will eliminate some of the issues others have had with pressures. In addition, this system will come with a complete set of picture instructions and will be covered by our exclusive Aircraft Specialty warranty. We will keep everyone updated on this. Right now, we have our restrictors in beta testing. The beauty of this system is that it is completely different than the rotax fuel system, yet exactly the same. We keep the same routings, fuel paths, restrictor sizes, etc.....but we do it all in a conductive teflon hose and eliminate all the barbed fittings, etc so that it is all Aircraft standard AN.

More to come on this as we get all our data together.

Have a great evening, and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Steve

Just wanted to update all the RV-12 builders and owners on our current projects.

1. The RV-12 fuel system is coming along very well. We have it narrowed down to final components and are now working on installation manuals as well as figuring out what tools we are going to include. This will be a COMPLETE kit and we want you to not need to purchase anything outside the kit to install it on your aircraft.

2. The prototype locking door handle has been installed on a customer aircraft. We have verified the concept and are making a few little changes to it. We are shooting for a release date in January of this year. If you are looking to add a locking canopy to your RV-12, we have an elegant solution that will be very high quality. We are not yet releasing pictures on it until we are fully spooled up for production.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Steve

P.S. We have also updated our hose pages with videos of the hose making process if anyone is interested in what we do.

Locking canopy.

I want one. Should I hold off installing the stock canopy latch? Or will it matter?

Also, any solution to a better (and turnkey) fuel tank would sell like hot cakes! So why can you not do Poly???

Even better, put tanks in the wings! I would build a whole new wing kit, if I had to just to get that.

I want one. Should I hold off installing the stock canopy latch? Or will it matter?

Also, any solution to a better (and turnkey) fuel tank would sell like hot cakes! So why can you not do Poly???

Even better, put tanks in the wings! I would build a whole new wing kit, if I had to just to get that.

I would hold off on installing the stock canopy latch.... It won't hurt if you do though....as this is designed as a retrofit to flying aircraft...but if you don't need the latch on right now, no sense in doing the work.

We know nothing about working with Poly.....I have to see for myself what a pain this installation is. We are just getting ready to start building the wings.

Take care,
Steve

Complete throttle quadrant

Haven't even started my kit yet but I think that I'd like to be able to install a Piper-like throttle quadrant after sign off as LSA. That would include new throttle wires to both carburetors also. Just an idea here. I understand that the CT has such an item that might be a good place to look at. Thanks for the opportunity to suggest 'improvements' to the already great RV-12. Best to you, Ed Eliot:cool:

Haven't even started my kit yet but I think that I'd like to be able to install a Piper-like throttle quadrant after sign off as LSA. That would include new throttle wires to both carburetors also. Just an idea here. I understand that the CT has such an item that might be a good place to look at. Thanks for the opportunity to suggest 'improvements' to the already great RV-12. Best to you, Ed Eliot:cool:

Ditto on this request....I personally don't want to mess around with removal and replacement of weaker carb springs; however, a throttle quadrant that allows fine tuning of rpm without throttle creep would be trick!

You realize that a quad like the one shown will need to be disassembable (?!) because you need to be able to inspect underneath it and between the two leg wells. The fuel cutoff lever also has to be dealt with although is looks untouched in this version. And in removing it for such inspections, it should NOT have to involve a carb rebalance when re-assembled! So there are some design criteria.

Note that the design seems to involve a lever for the starting carb (choke) as well. That is not really necessary, it is used one a day on a cold day. Looks cool though. Hmmm - the space vacated by the throttle (and maybe choke) could be replaced with a knob for the Bender duct mod for keeping the cabin warmer, plus maybe a cable for adjusting a shutter on the oil cooler for winter ops...

Taking off the top cowl and changing the carb springs is soooooooo easy.

Pedal Extensions

I'm aware that several builders have developed pedal extensions, but I don't recall seeing a commercially available (well engineered) solution. I'm selfishly throwing this out for consideration and will purchase several sets for our growing fleet.

I'm aware that several builders have developed pedal extensions, but I don't recall seeing a commercially available (well engineered) solution. I'm selfishly throwing this out for consideration and will purchase several sets for our growing fleet.

Hey, wasn't Rube Goldberg an engineer?

My latest rendition of my snap-on rudder pedal extensions:
1192f2b7-5e26-4418-b2c3-6deb2af6953e_zps5bec0bac.jpg

In this rendition, I'm still using UHMW plastic that is milled out with a woodworking router, but the attachment is made with a Lowe's or HD Aerospace broom holder clip (grey). It snaps onto the vertical portion of the rudder/brake pedal quite securely, but I still have a single "safety" strip of velcro (shown on the lower portion) that wraps around the existing rudder pedal. The handy thing about this scheme is that I can keep the existing black UHMW rudder pedals in place, and clip these in place in a few seconds when different-sized pilots fly the RV-12.

The disadvantage I see with my design is the weight--the UMHW is a bit heavy...if they could be well-engineered--built with with some appropriately formed 0.064-ish aluminum sheet or similar to cut the weight down a bit, it would be really swell.

Last edited:
Hey, wasn't Rube Goldberg an engineer?

Yes, in my book any engineer worthy of the title must have a thorough working knowledge of Mr. Goldberg's work...
Mr. Goldberg would be proud of your work and accomplishment!

1192f2b7-5e26-4418-b2c3-6deb2af6953e_zps5bec0bac.jpg

Outstanding work and EXACTLY what I'm looking for!! Any chance I can purchase a set? Might be a worthwhile effort to get some students at our high school to draw your prototype and 3D print a set that's hollow. Job well done!

Outstanding work and EXACTLY what I'm looking for!! Any chance I can purchase a set? Might be a worthwhile effort to get some students at our high school to draw your prototype and 3D print a set that's hollow. Job well done!

Flattery may get you somewhere. I'm not set up for mass production, but I'll make some up during my holiday break and get back with you via private messages.

Have a look at Post #43 - Steve is on the case... ;)

Have a look at Post #43 - Steve is on the case... ;)

We are going to be actively working on this project in a few months. We finished the RV-12 fuel system retrofit and are currently doing some modifications to the brake hoses.

We are also in the last 2 months of our locking canopy project. Once that is complete, our next project will be the rudder pedal extensions.

We are also going to be looking at other hoses for the rotax 912 engine (oil and coolant) But, that project will still be a little ways off.

We also have a few other ideas up our sleeve, but we take our time to make sure the projects are done correctly and are released as a fully completed version.

Take care and feel free to email us if you have any specific questions.

Steve

Back