What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would there be any interest??? Prefab RV-12 Parts

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
We have embarked on a journey to build our own RV-12 here at Aircraft Specialty. Being ELSA, we are keeping everything to plans, but may be working on some aftermarket "redesigns/options" as we go for those who are building EAB or looking to do things after certification.

Also, as we build, we are coming across some items that need to be fabricated that our CNC could do very nicely. We are trying to gauge if there would be any interest for some of these products.

For instance, at the moment, we are looking at the F-1211G tail skid bracket. Vans has you use templates to cut and shape it in a variety of ways. We haven't done ours yet, but was thinking of possibly milling it in the CNC.

Is that something any of you builders might be interested in if we can keep the pricing reasonable?

Have a great day,
Steve

I suspect you would have plenty of buyers for pre-formed longerons. Shipping costs might break the 'reasonable cost' barrier, though.

Aftermarket wish: a key lock for the canopy. I'm already tired of having to take my headsets and portable GPS with me when I tie down somewhere.

Just A few questions!

We are currently working with Catbird on his installation.
Back at the beginning of August you were working on the above plane. Did you get it done and were you able to come up with the correct size restrictor in the return fuel line? This is the critical part of the whole installation IMHO. This would affect the fuel pressure readings. Can we get some fuel pressure data on some 912s you have recently done that have your setup and has the new Rotax fuel pump. Thanks

John.....

Jerry has been running our setup and has fuel pressures in the 5.5psi range. We sent several different restrictors to him and he played with them. Ultimately he ended up modifying one by crimping it to restrict it further. This made his pressures where he wanted.

I just spoke with him yesterday and we are still waiting for him to send us some of his original dues system components which we are going to analyze for the restrictor. Then we will make some more and send back to him to install and test. We want it to work as a stock setup with no modifications.

Hope that helps
Steve

Cnb3( ;804652 said:
Aftermarket wish: a key lock for the canopy. I'm already tired of having to take my headsets and portable GPS with me when I tie down somewhere.

Dave,

Ill keep the idea on my "list"

Steve

ideas

I agree on the longerons, mine are sitting in the garage staring at me with a come on, you are doing anything and everything to avoid us kinda look.

A pre-cut wing skin for the landing light would be cool. Especially if you took the old one in trade, but again the shipping might be a lot.

Not really "pre fab" but more an aftermarket addition. How about rudder pedal extensions. Jerry Parr made some very nice ones. Possible he would allow his design to be used. I do not need them but my wife will on the co pilot side.

I agree on the longerons, mine are sitting in the garage staring at me with a come on, you are doing anything and everything to avoid us kinda look.

A pre-cut wing skin for the landing light would be cool. Especially if you took the old one in trade, but again the shipping might be a lot.

Ditto on both......longerons ASAP.....as my fuse is coming soon!

The little aluminium tabs that go on the root of the flaperons and connect them to the WD-something torque arms on the fuselage, could be a candidate for CNC. They are small, lightweight but do take some time to manufacture as they were "carved" out of stock angle.
Oh, and thanks again, for engraving my data plate and the fuel cap. Your work looks great, Steve!

How about a poly gas tank with a lower profile that would make removal easier for annuals and allow us to see the fuel level through the wall. Poly would be more resistant to damage guarding handling.

A good way to mount an IPad mini tailored to the RV-12 might be nice.

A cowling mod to move the oil cooler forward.

Fiber glass stabilator tips.

Interface harnesses to go between the existing Vans harness and other popular EFIS/EMS options.

Fuel tank.
I don't want to start this again, but I would be more comfortable with a tank with a bladder in it.
John

The little aluminium tabs that go on the root of the flaperons and connect them to the WD-something torque arms on the fuselage, could be a candidate for CNC. They are small, lightweight but do take some time to manufacture as they were "carved" out of stock angle.
Oh, and thanks again, for engraving my data plate and the fuel cap. Your work looks great, Steve!

Ill take a look at it. Glad you like the cap and data plate! :)

Not really "pre fab" but more an aftermarket addition. How about rudder pedal extensions. Jerry Parr made some very nice ones. Possible he would allow his design to be used. I do not need them but my wife will on the co pilot side.

That's a great idea. Ill have to contact Jerry to see his thoughts as well as coordinate a royalty for him if we do it.

Thx
Steve

Last edited:

CactusPilot... I just finished the longerons. I was able to get myself jump started by purchasing two spare pieces of angle. They were shipped from VANS in a plastic capped tube. Packing and shipping was $20 intra state. With the spare parts sitting in my garage, I was able to get the gumption to build the longerons.

Jeff

vans has these in stock and they are neat.

Hi Jay, can you give us more information about what Vans stock. I spent a lot of time trying to get rudder pedal extensions from them but they do not have anything available that I am aware of. They do say that they have them in the PAP but I think the are referring to the small black plastic part which is on the bottom of the rudder pedal. If a true rudder extension pedal was available that would be great.

Cheers

Julian 120316

Good idea, but they already come made. I got my wing kit in July and those plus the brackets for the rod end bearings came premade.

Good idea, but they already come made. I got my wing kit in July and those plus the brackets for the rod end bearings came premade.

Yup. This is how they arrive now.

IMG_0390.jpg

Vans have made it easy for all you latecomers. My kit came with an Al ingot straight from the smelter. I had to do all the rest. :D

Pre-made RV-12 parts

It looks like Van's is eliminating the need for RV-12 builders to need the bandsaw and power sander. Time to sell HF stock?;)

Nice...

My quality HF tools bit the dust before the emp and tailcone were half way done.

Bob

If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak. -Jayne Cobb

Vans have made it easy for all you latecomers. My kit came with an Al ingot straight from the smelter. I had to do all the rest. :D

Heck, I wanted to do all the rest. Go figure.

Steve, I agree with RFSchaller (post 14) about more distance between the oil cooler and muffler, and the iPad mount. WRT the latter, just brain-dumping here as I haven't done any checking as to size, space, or feasibility, but am thinking of a larger map box, the door of which also functions as a flush, mini iPad mount. Maybe hinged on the left side instead of bottom, with a catch allowing it to be fixed in a position canted toward the left seat. What thinkest thou?

How about other models?

For me I'm pretty much done fabricating kit parts, but if you have a CNC machine I think there could be demand for many of the parts from the other models too, not just the -12. For example, the little angles on the front spar of the horizontal stabilizer were kind of tricky, wing attach angles, or something as simple as a pre-tapped and threaded wing tie down anchors.

If I'd of had a one stop shop to buy many of the little parts and angles and such that needed to be fabricated I would have. And I'd say the value of that would be a few hundred bucks. I indeed enjoyed laying out the dimensions and holes and making parts, but I'd rather get it done and in the air.

So yes, I think there would be demand and likely for ALL the models

Prefab

Yes, I want to buy the RV-12 canopy already attached to the canopy frame and the fiberglass fairing ALREADY attached....ha. WHY DO I KEEP PUTTING THAT OFF

Rudder Pedal Extensions

Someone call...?! :)

The pedal extensions were actually designed by one of my co-owner/builders and they work a treat. Fit to standard pedals without modifying them and can be removed/fitted in 10 minutes.

It's okay for you long Americans but for us English elves (as Ken Scott told me we are on this side of the Atlantic) they're a must. :(

Steve - PM received, info about to be sent....!

Prefab is good

As a dithering builder wannabe, I would welcome reasonably priced prefabrication to simplify the build--especially the parts that I hear other builders complaining about so much.

A 1% kit would be nice. Something that just requires removal of the crate and adding water with a garden hose.

As a dithering builder wannabe, I would welcome reasonably priced prefabrication to simplify the build--especially the parts that I hear other builders complaining about so much.

A 1% kit would be nice. Something that just requires removal of the crate and adding water with a garden hose.

It's called an SLSA RV-12:)

Update

I just wanted to update everyone so far on this thread.

We have reached out to several of you for your input in working on new products.....there are a lot of great ideas here, and we are going to try running with several of them.

However, one thing that we always do is make sure that when we officially release a product line it is fully refined. We will work with beta testers to get a product to the point it is ready for release. What this means is that we are always working on new items. As such, if it seems like we are taking a long time to bring something to market, we probably are. We are making sure that it is fully done when we release it.

Regarding ideas in this thread......here is where we are at.

1. Locking Canopy (starting some initial design thoughts and working with builders)
2. Complete Rotax 912 replacement hoses (probably 6-8 more weeks until we have definitive data on pressures and the proper restrictor) The system will drop into place and will be much more robust than the standard setup as well as not be time limited. The reason for the length of time on this is not only the size of the restrictor, but we are also playing around with different ideas for types and where they will go. We will be working with two different beta testers on this.
3. Ipad mini mount (initial design thoughts with some builders)
4. Longerons (looking into them)
5. Precut holes in wing skins for lights (likely too costly for shipping to make sense)
6. Premade cnc machine brackets (in works as we build our kit......we will work on designing and machining precut brackets)
7. Gas tank (we are not able to do a poly tank at this time)
8. Oil cooler mod (gathering data from a builder on this)
9. Hstab fiberglass tips (I believe that someone already makes these...but we will contact them and look at potentially stocking them)
10. Pedal extensions. (In works)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and please keep the communication flowing. We work for you and want to design products that our customers want and need.

Steve

Last edited:
Oops! Just realized you guys aren't the "specialty" I was thinking of. Still I wish you the bst of luck!

Rich....

Thanks! :) We aren't as big as they are yet, but we will work at it!!!! :)

Seriously though, we love working on these projects, and being builders ourselves, we know how important it is to have great customer service coupled with quality products. When I say we work for our customers....I really mean it. Without all of you, we couldn't be doing what we do....so thank you.

Steve,

One more idea: a kit with everything to convert from the D180 to Skyview. Most won't want to do it now, but when ADSB-Out becomes mandatory some of us may decide to move the D-180 to the right side and put a Skyview with ADS on the left.

Rich

Steve,

One more idea: a kit with everything to convert from the D180 to Skyview. Most won't want to do it now, but when ADSB-Out becomes mandatory some of us may decide to move the D-180 to the right side and put a Skyview with ADS on the left.

Rich

Just starting to look at this right now......

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downlo..._Series_to_SkyView_Conversion_Guide_Rev_B.pdf

In this guide, dynon says that Vans has a conversion kit to convert from a D180 to Skyview? Anyone have any experience with that?

Steve

Just posting an update to this thread.

1. Currently we are awaiting installation and testing of the new restrictor setup that we have on our hoses for the replacement of the rotax hoses. This new setup is simpler than ever before and we will release it as soon as testing is complete.

2. We have an initial conceptual idea for the rv-12 door locks that are currently being modeled in CAD. The next step is a plastic prototype for installation on our beta tester's plane, followed by a fully machined version and then release for sale.

3. We have the drawings for the rv-12 pedal extensions. They are on the docket right after the door lock gets completed.

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great week and fly safe,
Steve

Another thought

Steve,

The -12 does not have a fuel tank sump/drain. This was mentioned in another thread a short while back by BillH in Arkansas.

To me it seems contrary to accepted aircraft design. I would prefer to have a drain at the lowest point in the system rather than permitting contaminants to pass through the line, boost pump and flow xducer. Yeah, it would be a booger to reach the drain during preflight. I'd do it anyway.

Any chance to develop an aftermarket mod for this? Caveat: Not a real easy task in an already completed airplane. Pulling the tank would mean installing the mod only at ACI time unless the builder is a glutton for punishment. Sump/drain would have to remain fixed to the tank.

There will perhaps be some who say don't mess with the fuel system, and I have to admit that is a valid consideration. To do or not to do in this case is beyond my scope of wisdom and experience.

The $2 Question

Cool...thx for the link. Now, did either of you install that drain AFTER the plane was finished, or during construction? Obviously, I'm thinking about me and all the other E-LSA types.

Cool...thx for the link. Now, did either of you install that drain AFTER the plane was finished, or during construction? Obviously, I'm thinking about me and all the other E-LSA types.

If you are going E-LSA, you don't have a choice. You MUST wait until AFTER the DAR signs off on the aircraft. Van's factory LSA doesn't have it, so by rule, yours can't either.....until after certification.

Back