What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Working Under the Panel

Ralph Ketter

Patron
A few years back I decided I needed a better way to get my head under the panel so I fabricated a wooden platform to lay on. Since then I find I have used it multiple times so I thought I'd share what I did to help me work under the panel of my tip-up RV-6.

First I remove the seats and co-pilot control stick. I then put in two support pieces, one on each side, that supports a plywood panel that lays on top. These were made rough out of scrap lumber I had laying around. I made the plywood platform out of 3/4" OSB material I had and glued some carpet to it. I'm sure that 1/2" material would be adequate. It rests on the spar location in front and I elevated the back end higher to make it easier to pull myself upright and get out again for the next tool I just realized I need. I usually work with my lower legs dangling over the left or right side.
I notched the front edge of the platform to keep if from sliding forward. I'm sure I must have made cardboard templates when I first fabricated it. Cutouts were made of course where needed for the control stick and center support. One modification I should make is a smaller thin piece to slide over the control stick that covers the cutout for it. Tools and material have a way of finding their way in there.

I leave the fire extinguisher in place and put a pillow around it. If I remove the extinguisher, the support bracket digs into my back and I end up bending the mounting bracket. I have my fire extinguisher bracket mounted on the electric flap support in such a way it requires a lot of disassembly to remove it.

I have loaned this to friends who have RV-6A's and it works for them also.

Attachments

• The Pieces.jpg
    The Pieces.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • Support Pieces.jpg
    Support Pieces.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Platform in place.jpg
    Platform in place.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Nicely done, and well, certainly looking more comfy than my no-nothing but the flaps lever wedged between 2 vertebras, whilst the right stick trunnion nicely enlarges the space between another pair of vertebrae. During this time the power quadrant lacerates anything in close proximity.
And, yes, now that very needed tool is safely in it's cupboard, awaiting my emergence from the dark pit...

Since u are slightly far for a loan out, I'll have to consider building something similar for my soon to be installed avionics alteration...

What do you do about supporting your head? I always find that to be a bad compromise between neck support and being able to fold my arms in the right direction. Doubly so when working on a 6 with the vertical control pedestal.

What do you do about supporting your head? I always find that to be a bad compromise between neck support and being able to fold my arms in the right direction. Doubly so when working on a 6 with the vertical control pedestal.

I usually don't support my head unless I'm doing extensive work. I keep a couple of old pillows around I can put on the floor. Without pillows, I can rest the top of my head on the floor if I slide down some. As far as the arms, it is hard to get both of them under the panel at the same time but I can do it.

My vertical control pedestal is removable (5 screws I think) if I need to and allow it to move to the side.

The rudder pedals always seem to be in the way and I did take them out once when I did some major rewiring work.

Back