What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Working past a back order-LCP part

thehagg501

Patron
I just received my emp kit on Aug 17th. I assume I can work past steps that require a BO part but what do you consider a hard stop point?
As an example, section 7 page 7, would you completely dimple the rudder skins before "Final-Drill #40 all holes common to the skins and flanges of the R-903 Tip Rib and R-912 Counterbalance Rib"?

Thanks

I assume I can work past steps that require a BO part but what do you consider a hard stop point?

I'm in the same boat. My thinking is that I keep moving forward in the plans until I can't complete all of the pre-requisites for a given step. For example, in a particular (sub-)assembly,

Before riveting,

prime. Before priming,

deburr edges and large holes. Before deburring edges,

trimming, fabrication
dimple (or countersink) rivet holes. Before dimpling,

scuff parts for priming
deburr rivet holes. Before deburring,

final drill stacked parts. Before final drilling,

all stacked parts available.

(Items at the same level of indent are not interdependent, e.g. edge deburring and dimpling can be done in any order.)

I started on my vertical stabilizer, but moved on to my elevator after edge deburring and scuffing (missing parts means no final drilling, which means no rivet hole deburring, which means no dimpling, which means no priming, which means no riveting).

I've got missing pieces in all of my emp/tailcone sub-assemblies, so I won't be surprised if everything is started, before I'm able to rivet anything. With so many balls in the air at once, I just hope I don't forget something.

I'm in the same boat. My thinking is that I keep moving forward in the plans until I can't complete all of the pre-requisites for a given step. For example, in a particular (sub-)assembly,

Before riveting,

prime. Before priming,

deburr edges and large holes. Before deburring edges,

trimming, fabrication
dimple (or countersink) rivet holes. Before dimpling,

scuff parts for priming
deburr rivet holes. Before deburring,

final drill stacked parts. Before final drilling,

all stacked parts available.

(Items at the same level of indent are not interdependent, e.g. edge deburring and dimpling can be done in any order.)

I started on my vertical stabilizer, but moved on to my elevator after edge deburring and scuffing (missing parts means no final drilling, which means no rivet hole deburring, which means no dimpling, which means no priming, which means no riveting).

I've got missing pieces in all of my emp/tailcone sub-assemblies, so I won't be surprised if everything is started, before I'm able to rivet anything. With so many balls in the air at once, I just hope I don't forget something.

I’m in the same boat. So I just decided not to start. Not worth it to me to get something screwed up.

I’m irritated, a little, that they sent it to me at all. They “demanded” final payment, without mentioning even once, that a significant amount of parts would be missing.

And then sent me an invoice for 900 some odd dollars. No indication what for, the email didn’t say. I replied back asking what for and they sent me an itemization. It was for shipping. Which is fine, but what I noticed is it looks like they just deducted the cost of the “back ordered” (not actually back ordered - they’re defective) parts. So… when they’re ready, I’m going to get another invoice for them AND for shipping?

So I get to pay shipping twice for something I can’t even build yet?

I’m in the same boat. So I just decided not to start. Not worth it to me to get something screwed up.

I’m irritated, a little, that they sent it to me at all. They “demanded” final payment, without mentioning even once, that a significant amount of parts would be missing.

And then sent me an invoice for 900 some odd dollars. No indication what for, the email didn’t say. I replied back asking what for and they sent me an itemization. It was for shipping. Which is fine, but what I noticed is it looks like they just deducted the cost of the “back ordered” (not actually back ordered - they’re defective) parts. So… when they’re ready, I’m going to get another invoice for them AND for shipping?

So I get to pay shipping twice for something I can’t even build yet?

BO'd parts has been the norm for several years now, way before the laser part issues. So you work on what you can and not do what you can't. This is life.

Also, on BO'd parts, Van's usually pays for the shipping.

Back