What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood prop to Metal FP

HotRod6A

RV6A o-360 w/Ed sterba wood prop develop a crack "moisture induced", I have a brand new FP metal Sensenich "72FM85" that I plan to to install. Concern I have is the existing 4" Saber prop extension doesn't appear as robust as the Sensenish spacer. I do not have the Sensenish spacer and hardware, but I willing to procure if this is a better setup. Saber did say this spacer is acceptable with the metal prop but this combo must use the saber crush plate, which is not typical for metal FP. Anyone have any thoughts or comments or have ran this setup before?
thx
Rodney

RV6A o-360 w/Ed sterba wood prop develop a crack "moisture induced", I have a brand new FP metal Sensenich "72FM85" that I plan to to install. Concern I have is the existing 4" Saber prop extension doesn't appear as robust as the Sensenish spacer. I do not have the Sensenish spacer and hardware, but I willing to procure if this is a better setup. Saber did say this spacer is acceptable with the metal prop but this combo must use the saber crush plate, which is not typical for metal FP. Anyone have any thoughts or comments or have ran this setup before?
thx
Rodney
My opinion is that you should use the spacer that was intended to be used with that propeller.
I don’t think the aft face of the propeller is counter bored for drive lugs like a wood propeller is, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
In a normal installation, the Propeller has 20 clearance hardened steel pins, that drive through the two additional holes and into two matching holes in the spacer.
These are what is used to transfer the torque load into the propeller.

My opinion is that you should use the spacer that was intended to be used with that propeller.
I don’t think the aft face of the propeller is counter bored for drive lugs like a wood propeller is, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
In a normal installation, the Propeller has 20 clearance hardened steel pins, that drive through the two additional holes and into two matching holes in the spacer.
These are what is used to transfer the torque load into the propeller.
Agreed went with the sensenich spacer setup

Have you flown yet with the Sensenich? Can you report on difference you notice, either qualitative or quantitative?

Back