What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Withdrawal symptoms -- a quick cure

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Yes, it was windy on Sunday in North Texas. Skies were clear and blue having been scrubbed by the previous day's weather as a front passed through -- only the winds remained. But having been on the road for two weeks, I just had to fly as I was exhibiting severe RV withdrawal symptoms.

So what better place to go than a quick trip to my favorite lunch spot at Cedar Mills (3T0) marina (55nm away) on Lake Texoma. Bumpy as heck below 3,000 ft but what's a few bumps when you get to fly. The 185 kt ground speed on the way up hinted that the wind was behind me ;). Knowing that the grass runway was aligned east-west and the winds were 220 degrees at 18 kts, it was going to make for an interesting crosswind landing. Also knowing that it had rained buckets the day before meant the runway might be a bit soggy especially at the lower (eastern) end. Since I'd flown to Cedar Mills many times before, I knew the tricks to landing there in a crosswind on a soggy field -- 1) the runway is shielded by trees on both sides so the strong crosswind from the south disappears as soon as you go below tree line -- just kick the RV around with rudder and you're lined up straight; 2) land long when wet, since the runway slopes up from east to west there's less chance of hitting soggy turf the farther up the runway you land.

As I over-headed the airport, I was curious that there were no other aircraft at the field except a high wing amphibian parked on the north side of the runway. There are usually no aircraft parked on that side so I hoped it wasn't a sign of a problem. Then I remembered the annual splash-in was the previous weekend (darn -- missed it again this year). Since no one was there to watch it was, of course, one of my better wheel landings. Lunch was the usual good stuff.

cedarmills3t0102410.jpg

Takeoff was uneventful other than a little digging in on what appeared to be soft turf at one point in the taxi. Seems the water wasn't draining all that quickly from the flat western portion of the runway.

Going home was a bit slower and just as bouncy as the trip up. Landing back at 52F on 17 was the same wind -- 220 degrees at 18 kts gusting to 22. All went well until coming over the fence when a nice downdraft gave one that "sinking" feeling that says "you're gonna bounce". And I did. But add a little power, full right aileron, a little opposite rudder, keep the nose down and fly it back onto the runway holding the tail up and aileron full into the wind until you can't keep the tail up anymore and bingo -- a nice recovery and landing. No big deal but very satisfying. A recent post asking about RV crosswind limits came to mind -- 50 degrees at 18-22 kts this day required concentration but was a non-event. Just remember to fly the plane until it stops.

Withdrawal symptoms gone -- at least for now.

By the way, after parking the airplane I noticed a tuft of grass sticking out from the right wheel pant. As I pulled on the grass runner to free it, more fell out, and then more, and then more. I ended taking the wheel pants off and finding a nice load of sod packed into the back of the right wheel pant. I hope Cedar Mills doesn't charge me for it. I planted it in front of my hangar.

Thanks for reading my ramble. It was one of those flights where everything just goes right despite less than ideal conditions and you just want to share. Enjoy your RV.

Chris

Like Mickey, I kinda felt like I was riding along, too. Nice write-up, Chris!

Nice picture, too. It would make a great wallpaper image...if it was just a bit bigger... (hint, hint) ;)

Best,

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. I'm still getting acquainted with my newly purchased 4 and slowly expanding my crosswind landing experience.

Very nice story Chris! We have been so buried in a kitchen re-model project that I'm "only" getting out every couple of days, instead of every afternoon, and it makes me very edgy. But the last tiles have been laid, the grout is setting up nicely, the tools (most importantly) have all been returned to the hangar where they belong, and soon we'll be able to get back to just flying and building with aluminum!

Might have to try and make a Cedar Mills trip - it's been a while since I dueled with the tree.....

Paul

Back