What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring help/Advice

dreed

Well Known Member
Hey all- I am not an electrical guru so looking for a little advice.

When I had AFS do my panel I had them add a cutout/labeling for a 2 pot PWM dimmer I purchased (panel and baggage). My plan was to do white LED strip lights under the glare shield as well as in the baggage area.

I am now thinking the dual (White/Red) LED strip lighting may be a better idea under the glare shield.

I could add another pot possibly or maybe a toggle switch to the right of the dimmer that selects the red side of the circuit or the white.

Just want to see if I am missing the completely obvious solution or what the collective mind of VAF suggest. Want as simple as possible.

Dimmer right side up high in attached pic (excuse the plastic wrap in the background- I was like a kid at Christmas when I picked up the panel) :D

Thanks!
dan
80-afs_panel_5d4fddc3225edf5f04d63e2f988ceaca681cdcca.jpg
[/IMG]

Another possibility is a potentiometer/switch combo. That keeps you from having to make another hole in your panel but you'd still have to label the switch action. I don't know your pot specs so I can't give you part numbers but if you Google 'potentiometer switch combo' you'll get some places to look.

I only used white LEDs, and find them to be ideal (dimmed way down during flight). I believe the military did a bunch of tests and found that red light was actually really poor, while the best light was, wait for it...white.

Thanks to both of you- I do recall reading that about the white on here. Guess I am over thinking things. I could always add red/white later if I really felt the need.

As for my current controller- it's the dual switch. I could add another hole or two should I feel the need for the red/white later and use the 4 pot I suppose.

Thanks again!
dan
80-2_pot_5481dd2c7d286a8288d55eae077c9099e2539aff.jpg
[/IMG]

80-4_pot_bb3eeec526ee762f6dfc1af095b76cb480be2d68.jpg

Back