What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Stretcher OR Better Planning . . .

BillL

Well Known Member
Joking aside, I have been working on the fuse side wiring for a long time and had thought I had enough wire length for forward fuse bundles. I may yet be OK as I work with the finer details, but here is a picture of the problem and a suggested planning tool for you builders not yet to this stage.

The suggestion is to make a fence, around which you can pull your wires, and ensure that there is enough wire length.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

If anyone has been in this situation, I would welcome your suggested solutions. My options are to work with the bundles to get them "longer" or to make a new tunnel cover with a large radius allowance for these bundles like they are.

Thanks,

I thought I made the bundles long enough, but I was wrong. I modified the center tunnel to fit the wiring.
DF3FE4FB-E0F9-466C-9169-250A70D2BFD0-6983-0000041D96E810C6_zpsb8c439ae.jpg

8AC8C595-0BDA-4157-8623-B2C51CE4AE1C-21792-00000C7CA319D1A8_zps98f4fbe5.jpg

Andy,
Thanks for the picture, that is just what I was thinking. Hopefully, others can use the fence and avoid additional modifications. The year of wiring just let this detail escape my attention.

It's always something, and usually of my own making.

Thanks Again

I like your idea of the fence, I used zip ties loosely bound and that accounted for short wire bundles. On the bright side my 2 piece tunnel cover is easier to remove!

Loose that part of the cover. Although I did not have this particular problem, I cut off the vertical "tunnel" just below the vent where the air dam is located. That opens up the firewall. I then cut the tunnel short about an inch but you could cut it off as far back from the firewall as you need to. This opens up that entire area so you don't have to mess with control cables, wiring, tubing, whatever you have that penetrates that cover.
You then have easy access for inspections without having to remove the cover to inspect the back side of your firewall bulkhead fittings and pass throughs. It is far enough forward that nobody can see it.
Much, much easier than building special covers to hide stuff like your wiring bundle. You could cover it with black smurf tubing and it would disappear entirely.

Last edited:
Back