What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Runs for Aft Mounted Batteries

rodrv6

Well Known Member
I'm installing a pair of batteries behind the baggage compartment wall and I'm wondering what would be the best routing for the battery cables back up toward the firewall. Going through the wingspar center section probably isn't the best idea, but I'd like to keep the cables out of sight (if possible) and well protected.
Has anyone else done this on a 6?

FYI - The cable runs for the RV8 pass through the wing centersection, per VAN's plans. Also, there are additional access holes through there for other wiring and the rudder cables, not to mention the control tube connecting the two sticks and elevator. You may want to call VAN's about it, specific to the RV6, but passing a wire through the center section web should not be a problem. Of course, I would always recommend keeping the hole as small as possible.

You may find that the aft CG is bad if you put batteries back there. Put them forward or on the engine side of the firewall. Most RV6&7 need the weight up front. If you do put them back there you will be cutting way back on the weight that you can carry in the baggage area.

Be very careful

Norman

Back