What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtips with hinges

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm installing the wingtips with hinges again, following the general guidance of this fine article: https://www.kitplanes.com/attaching-wingtips/

I'm wondering how to end the hinges on the aft side where the W-412 wing tip rib extends down into the area of the intended hinge. I know that it needs to be installed web-in, so that the flanges stick inboard, permitting a screwed in hinge eyelet to secure the hinge pin.

I think I'll move the wing tip rib outboard enough so that the tip hinge half just lays on top of it and incorporate it into the hinge line. There will be a bit of a joggle when the hinge makes the little transition from the tip up onto the flange of the W-412 but I can't see how else to compromise it.

It seems from the drawings that there is an intention to rivet this part in place so it is fastened to the wing edge a little bit.

Has anyone done this differently that I could learn from?

I just drilled another hole about 1/2” along from the aft tooling hole in the tip trailing edge rib (flanges inboard) and run some safety wire through the two holes and around the 2 pins together. Light/easy to inspect. Much time in service. Works well.

I modified the W-412 wing tip ribs to form a flange across the forward edge, bent outboard.

wings_2021-11-20_05.png wings_2021-11-29_03.png

Added a K1000-06 plate nut on the outboard side of the rib and made up a hinge pin retention lock from a short length of MS20257-P3 hinge.

wings_2021-12-05_01.png wings_2021-12-19_01a.png

Used AN515-8R8 screw and AN960-6 washer to fasten lock flush on rib web. Adjusted angles of lock tabs and bends in hinge pins to ensure hinges cleared adjacent rivet heads.

wings_2021-12-19_05.png

Added a K1000-06 plate nut on the outboard side of the rib and made up a hinge pin retention lock from a short length of MS20257-P3 hinge.

View attachment 49112

That's a very neat way to retain the pins. I used 2 pieces of hinge which stay attached to the pins but like your way a lot more.

Attachments

• IMG_9988.jpg
    IMG_9988.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 128
On my 14 I used hinge that way to secure the pins and plan to do same again. What do you think about tying the wingtip rib into the hinge? The mod you show I think stiffens the wingtip but doesn’t tie into the hinge and thus the wing. Is that an issue at all? Is it better to modify the rib or tie it in?

Hinged wingtips

I wrote an article fir Kitplanes. They haven't published it yet.
The draft is on my blog if you want.

On my 14 I used hinge that way to secure the pins and plan to do same again. What do you think about tying the wingtip rib into the hinge? The mod you show I think stiffens the wingtip but doesn’t tie into the hinge and thus the wing. Is that an issue at all? Is it better to modify the rib or tie it in?

If you have a look at my blog it shows how I did it. I used a piece of angle on the inside of the wingtip to stiffen the rib to the wingtip, then a piece of bent hinge on the rib which ties the rib (and therefore the wingtip) into the hinge.

https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2022/08/24-03-attaching-wingtips-using-hinge.html?m=1

It is a 2 min job to get them off - but a beautiful fastener free transition to the wing. I’m glad I spent the effort.

Back