What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Light Mod Lense Covers

ASharpe

I'm New Here
I purchased an abandoned RV-8 kit and am well underway. But I am looking for the lense covers for these modified wingtip lights. The original builder can’t remember where he purchased the light kit. I have the original lense covers but they are in bad shape and have old tape on them. Argh.

Does anyone recognize this kit? Or have an idea of where to get lense covers?

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• 87A7FC25-1F75-4BE9-9B32-7D1A79D5129A.jpg
    87A7FC25-1F75-4BE9-9B32-7D1A79D5129A.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 09D04F5D-25F6-46DE-8650-A5BC70F1BE97.jpg
    09D04F5D-25F6-46DE-8650-A5BC70F1BE97.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 111
I can’t quite tell, but they look like the W-415 tips and a kit to modify then for the internal light. I don’t think those lenses are available anymore if that’s what these are,,

I can’t quite tell, but they look like the W-415 tips and a kit to modify then for the internal light. I don’t think those lenses are available anymore if that’s what these are,,

There was a thread in the last year or so where someone recreated the forms and made a batch of those lenses. The OP may want to try and track down that thread and the folks who facilitated the new batch of lenses.

I purchased an abandoned RV-8 kit and am well underway. But I am looking for the lense covers for these modified wingtip lights. The original builder can’t remember where he purchased the light kit. I have the original lense covers but they are in bad shape and have old tape on them. Argh.

Andy

You can remove the tape using mineral spirits. Afterwards, clean them up with soap and water. Then use one of the plastic restoration products (I like the Novus products, which have 3 different formulations) to polish out any scratches in the lenses.

You can remove the tape using mineral spirits. Afterwards, clean them up with soap and water. Then use one of the plastic restoration products (I like the Novus products, which have 3 different formulations) to polish out any scratches in the lenses.

Not sure if it would work on this application, but back when I built plastic models, we used mop and glo floor wax to fix scratches and haze on clear plastic parts. You just soaked it in the floor wax and when you pulled it out gave it a buff. That was on a different type of plastic too, so I don't know if it would work here.

Back