What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wingtip edges

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
until now everything has fit like a million bucks. the forward edge of my wingtip edge fits terrible compared to everything else. now i understand why a 12 i looked at at snf had the edges filled and sanded smooth. now that looked NICE. i am wondering what kind of fit is to be expected along the forward wing tip edge. anyone have a close up pic? i don't know if i should rivet it all up or work at it some more. i really don't know what more i can do.

The fit is ok but I also filled the wing tip with epoxy and glass bubbles.
(You can click at the pictures so it will redirect you to my picasa album so you can zoom in if you want).

Nice work, but

Seems like a lot of work that will only be seen by someone lying on the ground while you taxi by:D

FWIW, I thought about filling in the wingtip gaps but in the end decided not to. This was partly because I was concerned that the filler might eventually crack (probably not that likely), but mainly because that's how this aircraft was designed, and I doubt that it would make any measurable difference to its performance anyway. It's like filling in the pop rivets. It looks nice when it's done, but why try to make it look like something it isn't? On the other hand I put fairings on the main gear legs because streamlining those seemed like a good idea. The good thing about building an aircraft is that you can decide what's important for you.

Well said. My personal objection is to the "holes" left in the wingtips, just bugs me as looking like some mistake in building, as well as letting dust and rain inside the wing..

FWIW, I thought about filling in the wingtip gaps but in the end decided not to. This was partly because I was concerned that the filler might eventually crack (probably not that likely), but mainly because that's how this aircraft was designed, and I doubt that it would make any measurable difference to its performance anyway. It's like filling in the pop rivets. It looks nice when it's done, but why try to make it look like something it isn't? On the other hand I put fairings on the main gear legs because streamlining those seemed like a good idea. The good thing about building an aircraft is that you can decide what's important for you.

Well said. My personal objection is to the "holes" left in the wingtips, just bugs me as looking like some mistake in building, as well as letting dust and rain inside the wing..

True Don, but there are enough holes in the bottom of the wing to let the dust and rain out again. Van's thought of everything. :D

I love it, but can you elaborate on just how you did this?

Just "putty" the edges and gaps with a mix of epoxy and glass bubbles/carbosil. Some sanding and you're done. Maybe two hours work per side.

I also filled the rivets, takes about 40 hours. Maybe useless but looks great (and no dirt and wax in the holes).
D@mn, I see now I missed one in the handheld ;-)

thanks for the replys. i think the wingtip edge would have come out a lot nicer if the lower skin tab at 116 deg was left to be match drilled to the top wing skin and if the tab was left unbent until a bend line was drawn after clecoing together. fiberglass would fix the looks for sure. for now i think i will start on the second wing and think about this for a while. any pics of the front wingtip edge from the side would be appreciated. i really don't know how good or bad mine is.

The fit is ok but I also filled the wing tip with epoxy and glass bubbles.
(You can click at the pictures so it will redirect you to my picasa album so you can zoom in if you want).

Joeri,

Nice job.....I personally like the more refined look. Am doing the same. I saw a "filled rivet" paint job@ my local airport along side a normal paint job.

Not trying to make it into something it is not.....just personal tastes!!!!

thanks for the pics. i know i could have done a nicer job if the tab bent 116 deg. is bent after a bend line is drawn after the bottom skin was clecoed in place and if that tab had used a match drilled hole. i think i will think on this for a while and start on the other wing. i know i can make this look good by glassing forward of the tip fairing. any other pics of the wingtip forward edge from the side would be appreciated. i want to get an idea if my work is just bad or really terrible. outboard wing skins not rivited so nothing permanent yet.

No, cabosil is an epoxy thickener. Looks a bit like glass bubbles. The epoxy used for my canopy layup is quite thin. It will run on vertical edges. The Glass bubbles makes the epoxy easy to sand and the cabosil thickens the mixture further so it will not run that much. Flox is cotton fiber, more structural and hard to sand.
Dan Horton made a nice writeup about the differences between the three and how to use them finishing wheel pants but I can't find the topic.

Found it ; http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16999&highlight=wheel+pants

Also interesting to read:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=41047
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931&highlight=cabosil

Last edited:
Back