What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root Fairing seals?

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

The plans for the RV-10 do not include a rubber sealing gasket between the wing root fairing and the fuselage. Several people have said to add one. I am not sure how that would work. On the RV-10 the wing root fairing on the fuselage side attaches via a flange and screws and should sit flat. If I add a rubber seal, the rubber seal would probably also be on the bottom of the fairing and sit between the wing root fairing and the wing woot fairing attach flange. Using screws this may cause puckering and the rubber will compress under each screw.

Does anyone have any feedback on what part to use and any trick to attaching it?

Regards

I used a seal on the leading edge. Probably a 16” piece that doesn’t suffer from the issue you commented on. Further aft, it would be an issue.

Agree (and so does the mothership, obviously). Just dress the edge of the root skin with a file wherever necessary so that it can be installed and removed without scratching or rubbing the sides of the fuselage. This is a departure from how the other models were designed (at least the -6) but IMO a welcome one.

Mike
I added one for the sole purpose of protecting my paint when removing and installing it. It’s probably 1/4” wide. Got it from McMaster.

I recommend adding the rubber channel on the leading edge. It makes the fairing look “finished” and you protect the fuselage paint.

Open the gap between the fairing and fuselage to ~1/4”. After checking fit, add a couple of dabs of black silicon seal to the inside of the channel then install the fairing. The silicon will keep the channel attached to the fairing.

Carl

Mike
I added one for the sole purpose of protecting my paint when removing and installing it. It’s probably 1/4” wide. Got it from McMaster.

I did the same, but only for the leading edge area that hangs loose with no flange. The rest of the fairing is resting on a flange and no easy way to add anything and no benefit to doing so.

Back