What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Pins

jhrubos

Patron
the joy of fitting the wings. the agony of the massive retaining pins not fitting.

I got help and installed the wings to what i consider a very nice fit. this would be chapter 38is. The wing retaining pins fit the holes for the first, left, wing spar hole for about 1/2 their length and then do not move another partial inch forward. took the wings off, cleaned everything, re-greased the pins and holes and tried again. still no luck. took the wings off, the pins work great thru the empty holes. tried one wing on ( and it didn't matter which wing) and the pins fit just fine. put both wings on and still have 2" of exposed pin to deal with. and yes i whacked at the pins with a rubber mallet. called van's and they suggested a circular rotating approach to the wing while applying the rubber mallet to the pins. still no luck.even switched the pins from side to side. i am out of fresh ideas. HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 23
I put the pins in my freezer overnight. Kept them on ice in cooler to get them to the hangar. I think I used lps for lube. Used a plastic mallet and then I used a brass rivet set and used my rivet gun to drive them as they got tight. Most went in with just a small plast mallet

Good idea re: using low temps to reduce the dimensions a bit. My only concern about that is how are you going to get the pins out when you need to do the annual condition inspection.

Jhrubos, when you look at IMG_1680, it doesn'l look like the barrels are completely aligned. Have you tried using an exhaust pipe expander to align the barrels in the wing with ones in the airframe? I've had excellent luck using that approach. I can insert & remove my pins by hand with some judicious rocking back and forth as I insert/remove them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwb-940378

That's a pretty typical example. There are multiple sizes and I don't remember off the top of my head what size you'll need to use.

Good luck!
-dbh

Good idea re: using low temps to reduce the dimensions a bit. My only concern about that is how are you going to get the pins out when you need to do the annual condition inspection.

Jhrubos, when you look at IMG_1680, it doesn'l look like the barrels are completely aligned. Have you tried using an exhaust pipe expander to align the barrels in the wing with ones in the airframe? I've had excellent luck using that approach. I can insert & remove my pins by hand with some judicious rocking back and forth as I insert/remove them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwb-940378

That's a pretty typical example. There are multiple sizes and I don't remember off the top of my head what size you'll need to use.

Good luck!
-dbh
I totally agree with the exhaust expander. A life saver. BTW, the Vans Maintenance manual require a wings removal as part of a complete annual condition inspection.

Why would you ever want to take the wings off for a condition inspect?

RV-12 Maintenance Manual R9.1

Inspect each fuselage pin and all wing retention pin bushings for wear or cracks. Inspect the center section area around the bushings for deformation or cracks. Use the Main Spar BushingGauge Pin to check the wear of both ends of all of the wing retention pin bushings. Insert the Gauge Pin into the bushing, then rotate the Gauge Pin.The Gauge Pin is a 'go, no-go' device.If the 'no-go surface' contacts the bushing (or mounting surface), the wing retention pin bushing must be replaced. See Figure 7.

RV-12 Maintenance Manual R9.1

Inspect each fuselage pin and all wing retention pin bushings for wear or cracks. Inspect the center section area around the bushings for deformation or cracks. Use the Main Spar BushingGauge Pin to check the wear of both ends of all of the wing retention pin bushings. Insert the Gauge Pin into the bushing, then rotate the Gauge Pin.The Gauge Pin is a 'go, no-go' device.If the 'no-go surface' contacts the bushing (or mounting surface), the wing retention pin bushing must be replaced. See Figure 7.

Look closely at the umhw blocks that position the ends of the spar. Mine were holding the spar just a whisker too low and the pins woold not go in. A little judicious rtimming was all it took to achieve a snug fit. It's worth a look.
Cheers DaveH
120r84

Back