What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I built an RV, reason 1...

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
I was driving 5 hours each way to visit my adult daughter in Cashmere Washington. And had a few speeding tickets to boot! She lives 2 minutes from a 1800' paved strip. Wenatchee is close by for fuel, night operations or poor weather.

Now we fly in about an hour!

We left at 8, had two meals together, hiked 8 miles, and home at 6.

Anvil over Troutdale.
2hfhrlv.jpg

Too excited to wear the headset
xfuhkj.jpg

8 mile hike with two mountain ridge lakes
29m5c0y.jpg

Mt Adams, 12,200'. saint Helens was under the cloud deck. We were cruising at 11,500 for 20 minutes over the broken cloud range. 165kts true 7.6gph lop And no speeding tickets! :)
wgwyvo.jpg

Portland and Willamette River
140cw9.jpg

KUAO Van's is just above wing tip on the aileron hing line
2wm2luw.jpg

Almost home...
2mfhq9x.jpg

This holiday weekend 3 hour flight to Shelby Montana, was 13 hour drive to visit in laws! Overall fuel cost is less than our 4 runner

Last edited:
Benefit for wife

A visit this weekend to Katie's home town, Shelby (no where) Montana. This is our 5th flight here. I have never driven it, but Katie has many times, 13+ hours.
The -8 does it in 3. This trip about 2.5 with a strong tail wind. I expect 3.5 hours back on Monday

Leaving Aurora and over the Columbia Gorge gave us a view of three mountains North and six to the south. Hazy though...
rkycl1.jpg

2ngbk91.jpg

The trip was smooth but even more haze over the Rockies, so photos this trip aren't worth sharing. But here's the stats...cheaper than driving even at 6.25 a gallon!
10f244y.jpg

Here we are flying over the prettiest part, in laws are twenty minutes East over the high flat dry ugly part near Canada. (I'm spoiled in Oregon)

Bottom line, we both visit her family and I get to fly!

Beautiful country up there Bruce. My son interviewed for internship in Wenatchee and Bellingham. He is an outdoor person. He chose Bellingham but said he could not go wrong between the two locations. He drove to both locations from Salt Lake City and said it was not easy cruising to Wenatchee.

I drive frequently from Illinois to LA (lower Alabama) and it is 12-14 hrs in the car (850 miles, s) It would be 3h45m in the RV (when it is finished). Knowing the gasoline it takes, I figured 35mpg (at 80mph) would be necessary to have equal cost of fuel to and RV flight to the same location. I am really looking forward to posting a trip report on that flight.

Great post!

Last edited:
It is amazing how quickly an RV will spoil you. Last fall I drove from here to Jacksonville for the first time in many years, thrilled that most of the 55 mph zones had been raised to a more comfortable level, and what used to take 13 hours only took 11. Then I did a few same day round trips in the RV: 8 hours with fuel stops. Later this summer, I will need to drop a car off at the Port of Jacksonville for my uncle, and I am dreading not only the 11 hour drive, but the necessary overnight stay and return via commercial!

Is that a Dobie riding co pilot. Im wondering how i can possibly travel with my 100 lb dobie in a 6A. Hate to leave him behind but dont see it happening.
Makes it hard to get away.

Yes, kind of. Miniature Pincher, 15 pounds full grown.

I have seen some large dogs, less active breeds, harnessed to the seat. I don't take mine without Katie to provide the lap. If I had to, a crate could be used. But the size of your dog, and how active I amagine he is, makes it difficult.

Back