What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why do we pay for the kit to fix laser cut parts?

toddzz

I just called Vans about the SL-00092 for my wings. Not quick build. They said only QB kits get free SL-00092 repair kit.

I'm not sure that this makes sense.

I just saw your post and called as well. I got the email in June since I was affected as well and had to forward that to the parts team today asking when the ETA would be. Nice lady but I dont think she knew what was going on. She said she had to escalate it to sr management. I am hoping they just gave you some bad info but who knows these days :)

I talked to Greg about this at OSH. (SL-00100 kit for a 14) He told me there was a meeting scheduled to discuss this I made the point that I was in the same boat as a QB builder and the parts were just as impossible for me to get out as if it were QB.

This will be hard to swallow if they make me pay, and I have been defending Van’s through this whole process.

I did send him a note after OSH (per his request) but I have not heard anything.

Afraid I am not super hopeful.

Im not sure what to make of this now. I just got a response in writing saying I would get a replacement kit free if I returned the replacement parts at my expense. Im ok with that (although I wish they would have waited and offered the repair kit), but it is what it is. I now need to verify they only want the inboard wing roots since I already used the new flap hinge ribs but those weren't affected by the engineered fix? Im like you Cessna, I have been upset but defended Vans through the process. I knew I wasn't feeling too good about things when I forced myself to go to their booth at Osh but left pretty quickly. I asked one question about my seats that are supposedly wrong but whomever I spoke with knew about the situation but had no answer for me which seems to be the common situation these days.
UPDATE: After I wrote this I called builder support. I wasn't reading the SL in detail. Seems that entire rib needs to come out and the chances of tearing something up to me out weigh the benfit of putting in a new rib. This was actually my second call on this and both times with two different people they both agree that risk outweighs the reward. I just replied to forget it, Im not replacing mine so unfortunately, Im going to have to deal with the parts I originally put in. Getting very apprehensive about this whole darn thing but I am way to deep to drop my build at this point.

Last edited:
I had the good fortune of being very early in the LCP replacement process because my finish kit was almost ready to ship. I actually ordered before the portal was up. I did it via email and phone calls. I asked specifically about the parts for the fuselage that I knew they were working on engineering fixes for. I was told to order the replacement parts so you have them… just in case. OK. Now it sounds like I may have to ship those back. Fine.. but it all seems funny to me.

It seems that those who got claims on the LCP QB parts get a notification that they will contest our claim and we are asked to pay extra for the replacement parts.

Back