What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why did you pick your N Number ?

Much like mine. N642R is an RV(6 for two) and Romeo is short for RV (Ron Voss or RV take your pick). Other considerations were single syllable number words. Was going to use Romeo Victor, but decided it was too long to say all the time. My first plane was N41SX; 41 was my age when I started it and also the serial number of my (Sonex) plans. SX was what the Sonex factory was using for the prototypes.

This one was a no-brainer. 7, because it is my wife and my lucky number, and 42, for the 4th month and the 2nd day. Our wedding date. and the MC for Mike (me), and the C for Christy (my wife).

On my father's plane it was 87 for the year he started to build, and LB for his initials.

Mike Bauer
RV-4 building :D
N742MC
RV-3 flying :D :D
87LB

A little off topic, but...

Although I have my N-number reserved and have often dreamed of having a number that ends in 1WR, I now find my self wishing the FAA could bend their rules for me.

My wife Nora has just been so GREAT in helping with the project and she even commented to me the the other day that even after it is flying it will never be "done" and that I will always be changing/improving things.

I wish I knew who to talk to at the FAA to let me have a number starting in zero so I could reserve November Zero Romeo Alpha AKA N0RA.

How cool would that be?

N77BM & N969EE

N77BM

1977 is the year I graduated high school, and seven is supposed to be lucky.
BM is my initials.

N969EE

I tried to think up a number that my relatively insensitive ears would hear when ATC calls and I thought I would be able to hear niner echo echo through the clutter.

I don't know which one I will be putting on the plane but I am a long way away from that decision and I may reserve something even better by then.

Bob Moore
RV-7 on the wings

N3VT

N3VT

No meaning at all, just short, easy to say, the same for all transmissions and with hard consonant sounds to make for clear communication. It was the best of the one number, 2 letter combinations available at the time.

My wife was annoyed that I didn't try to use initials or some number(s)/letter(s) that were significant somehow.

I really wanted N1Z, but the B of A bank in Las Vegas grabbed it when I wasn't looking. Arrggghh!

N Numbers (you asked)

The first set is month, date of my birthday with my initials...

The second set... use your imagination. :eek:

N number selection

If you talk to ATC a lot, you'd best go for minimal syllables! See below.

N953E is reserved for when I'm finally able to pull the trigger on the project:

9 - RV-9A

53E - The CH-53E was my love/hate slave/master for 11 years in the Corps. "Fifty-Three Echo" is a phrase that will catch my ear for the rest of my life, no matter what I'm doing. "Five-Three Echo" sounds close enough for me, and isn't hard to spit out over the radio.

jarhead said:
N953E is reserved for when I'm finally able to pull the trigger on the project:

9 - RV-9A

53E - The CH-53E was my love/hate slave/master for 11 years in the Corps. "Fifty-Three Echo" is a phrase that will catch my ear for the rest of my life, no matter what I'm doing. "Five-Three Echo" sounds close enough for me, and isn't hard to spit out over the radio.

To be technically correct, this should be "FIFE TREE ECHO".

Shortened callsigns

Less numbers makes it easier to paint on the airframe but the shortened N-number folks will get used to the phrase "Experimental XYZ say full callsign."

N814PM

8 for RV 8
14 is my birthday and lucky number
Pappa Mike is who I am: daddy to two really sweet girls.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon, CA

Short N number

arffguy said:
Less numbers makes it easier to paint on the airframe but the shortened N-number folks will get used to the phrase "Experimental XYZ say full callsign."

I've found that you can head that off most of the time by saying "november one eight uniform" indicating that that is the whole callsign.

John Clark
RV8 N18U Flying

N484H

H= Hinde (my surname) and I thought "RV484Hotel" kinda rolled off the toungue.

BTW I do like the fact that "RV" is an ATC recognised type.

Frank

743WW

My RV-7 is dedicated to my deceased father. His call sign
while fighting fires and with the Forest Service was Whiskey Three.
This is an RV-7 for Whiskey Three.
(743W was taken)

Listening to the radio chatter "whiskey whiskey" will be easy to
pick out.
Bruce W.

that reminds me. How do people in RVs make their calls? I've heard people say "Sport xxxxx" or "Experimental" XXXX. But is it acceptable to say RV-six-one-four-echo-foxtrot?"

Bob Collins said:
that reminds me. How do people in RVs make their calls? I've heard people say "Sport xxxxx" or "Experimental" XXXX. But is it acceptable to say RV-six-one-four-echo-foxtrot?"
I'll let you research the AIM on the specifics, but generally if you're plane is listed in the ICAO/FAA aircraft make/model listing, use it.

But "RV" is not listed. Will it work? Probably. But you should use "RV8", etc. Now imagine calling up (in my case) "R-V-eight, eight-zulu-november". Or more correctly, "R-V-eight,november-eight-zulu-november". Am I 88ZN or 8ZN.

Another thing that works. When I fly with friends (in a flight), we self assign a call sign. "Lone Star flight", "RV flight", "Homebuilt flight". Works like a champ!

Every now and then you'll actually find some ATC who doesn't know what an RV is. Then you have to explain that you're not a Cub replica or a former Soviet jet. "Experimental" is the FAA's catch-all call-sign for experiementals and has worked without question every time over the last 6-7 yrs and 900 hrs for me.

BTW - I started with a long call sign having the birthday and initials. What a pain! Couple of years ago I changed to the shortest and smoothest flowing I could find. 8ZN.

Last edited:
According to my FAA inspector

Bob Collins said:

RV is now a recognised type...Good enuf for me and I use "RV484H" and ATC is cool with it.

Frank

N142MR

Reserved for Myra and Roger-
November One For Two Myra Roger
We met in Novmber and since we are both pilots and my honey now owns the left seat it seemed like a natural.

By the way, I usually make my calls to towers, Experimental XXXXX. Sometimes when controllers see rapid ground speeds, they ask what type of aircraft. Actually both types of identifier calls work fine.
Roger

N8RV

While there's a long story to accompany the acquisition of my number, N8RV, suffice it to say that it's the perfect number for my RV-8. :D

Our N Number

This one will require that you all drop the testosterone down a few levels from "normal pilot" levels!

N4956T. My wife is my building partner, and my partner in so many other areas of our lives. 49 is my birth year, 56 is hers. It is the 2nd marriage for both of us and we will be celebrating 23 fabulous years in a couple of months. T is Tango, which is how we view our relationship and our approach to life; passionate, embracing. It also describes how we wish to go out of this world; doing the tango together.

We passed several N number options by our 4 children (ages 21, 26, 31, 36) and this is the one they picked. That was good enough for us!!!!

OK, that wasn't so bad now, was it? Dial those levels back up now!

I wanted one that was as easy as possible to say, with all single-syllable phonetics. Subtract from that all the N-numbers that were already taken, and I ended up with N432MM ;-)

brian

In To Tools

We came up with several N numbers that would fit well with our company theme. Most of them were taken by business and commercial jets. We wanted one that ended with 200Z for tools and we also thought about a XXXPT for PlaneTools or XXXII for Isham Inc. We found that N220LS (In to Tools) was scheduled to be renewed (formerly a Boeing jet) in March of 2006. We patiently waited and mailed the request in a couple of days before the expiration. It worked and we got our N number reserved.
Glenna
N220LS (reserved)
RV-8A in process
:D

N#

N214MV

214 = Wife's birthday
MV = Son's initials (mine also).

Mark Van de Bogert
Walworth WI.
RV6A 200hrs.

Tail Number

Being an Amateur Radio operator and a building pilot, I studied the FAA data base and the FCC data base for months lookiing for a match. North Carolina is home, the FCC breaks the country into ten regions and the Southeast is designated as region "4" (I was originally licensed as KD4QEL, Hickory, NC). (I wonder if N4N is available... ROFLMAO). A short search indicated that 1x1 N-calls (N(number)(letter)) were simply unavailable and un-get-able.

"Maybe I can find a 7-call." I had two reasons for wanting a 7 call. I'm building an RV-7, and of all the places we've been stationed, Wyoming (7-land) was the most agreeable (after the South, but given the population, one can just forget getting a N4x(x)-call). Literally ALL of the N7x and N7xx calls were either assigned or reserved by government agencies or colleges.

The "N" prefix designates a "Novice" license - historically, one's call sign was an indication of his license class, and one earned a Novice license first (Morse Code only), then proceded to add priveledges (more bandwidth and the right to operate in the phone (voice) bands) and change call signs by advancing thru the license classes. Further, until recently, once issued, a call sign was gone, for ever and ever, Amen. The Novice class was eliminated years before I earned my license. Since they're obsolete and no longer issued, all of the Novice calls seem to be rather coveted. Hmmm...

When I was looking for a tail number, N8ZG was the ONLY available Ham call sign that was also available as an aircraft registration number. (My apologies to those who knew me as KD4QEL (Technician and Tech+) and briefly KA4H (General)). As an Amateur Extra, under current rules, I was eligiable to apply for any call available in the FCC database. So I searched, studied, crossed my fingers, said a prayer and submitted the paperwork to change my FCC call sign and reserve a tail number on the same day. I lucked out and both requests were approved.

So now I'm known as N8ZG, ex KA4H, ex KD4QEL, and RV-N8ZG (RV-7 firewall forward). Confused yet? (I am...)

73... RV-N8ZG (RV-7 FWF, neal)

N174BK

Well, it's "One 7 for Bob and Karen" (my wife, my life partner, joint aircraft builder and pilot). And we announce RV174bravokilo...haven't had a question yet. With almost five thousand of these things flying, most controllers seem to be familiar.

N144KT

When I was building my RV-4 (for the first time but that is another story) I was going through a divorce but made up my mind I was going to somehow finish the thing. Well my daughter was eight at the time and between soccer games and trying to spend as much time on the weekends with her it took me eight years to get it in the air. Since N14KT was taken I settled for N144KT as in One (RV) 4 For Katie (her name).

She's 23 now and will be married in April and recently gave me a picture of us sitting in the then uncompleted fuselage way back then with me making airplane noises for the first time. I still get a warm glow everytime I make a radio call...

Richard Bibb
RV-4 N144KT

Since I was building a -6, I was thinking of possible numbers that ended with 6RV. My kit serial number was 24556 and "N556RV" was available so I reserved it. It was nice to plan the panel and graphics knowing what the number would be.

N97DC reserved

My name is Dave Cole, and my wife is Charlie, so the DC works both for my initials and for Dave and Charlie. I'm building a -7, so wanted a short-version call sign with a 7 in it. I wanted a short N number, and 97DC was available.

I like the sound of Seven Delta Charlie.

N771ST

My wife and I had our 1st date in 1977 . (1977 1st). Our boat's name is First Date so, the romantic saga continues - do I earn points for this, or what? :D

N742GM

My reserved number is N742GM....Rv-7 for two people and my initials. I am setting up my shop and will build a storage area for the misc garage family stuff and I will be ready to roll in May. If anyone is attending the RV workshop in Oshkosh in early may, send me a PM.

N898XP

898 for our wedding date (08/09/08) and XP for her and my initials.

That way I can't forget it so I won't be "forced" to sleep in the hangar.

Last edited:
If anyone has watched Bob Collins VFR communications videos, his N-number is 40RC on his P210, I always thought that his N-number is cool, so I picked 40 as my first two digits, the name of the airplane will be Great Balls 'o Fire, hence the BF...

N Number

N113SQ

I picked my N number in honour of my uncle who was wing commander in a Hurricane and later Spitfire squadron based out of Cornwall, England and flying in Burma during WW11, 113 Squadron.

9A Finishing

N484H

Looks nice and symetrical on the tail and "RV484Hotel" rolls off the toungue.

Incidently as "RV" is now an FAA recognised make I NEVER use the term "experimental" when talking to ATC.

Frank Hinde

N24CW Story

I wish I had some great story as to why I have my "N" number. I promice by the time I have it on the plane, there will be some great story about it and it may be based in some truth somehow (who says a good story has to always be a true one). Truthfully, when at OSH several years ago we stoped at the FAA hanger where you could pick your tail number with the assistence of the nice people from the registration branch. I was going to build an Acro Sport II and was looking to see what they had that ended in my initals. The first on the list were a few two digit numbers and I just thought it looked cool one digit short. I had flown only one aircraft ever before that had a registration number like that, N35FD, a 152. Seing as how I was building a biplane (that didn't last long), I thought the 2 could be for two wings. The 4 was "for" and CW was me. N24CW.
Later I found that the number had previously been used on a Rand KR-2 and had it too was a home built. Cool. Unfortunately the number became available again after the aircraft was destroyed. I'm not bothered by the unfortunate provenance of the number and I'll have it as a tribute to a past homebuilt aircraft. I've had the number reserved for years and only just this past summer did we purchase an 8A kit. I might have tried for an "8A" or "8RV" or some such number if I was picking one out now but, I already had mine and I'm sticking with it.
Anyone want to buy some spruce wood for an Acro Sport's wings? ;)

It's a very personal thing

From reading the post, the answer it WHY NOT!

The reasons seem to be:
Part vanity
Part sentimental
Part easier/cooler to say
Part random just because​

I picked mine because I could and did now want some FAA random assigned series of numbers (N12345) or (N1234Z) or (N123AZ). Can you imagine having to spit out 5 numbers every time you call up.

My N number is one number and two letters.

If you fly near Canada they have all letters and their calls are mouth full.

Also flying many planes I noticed some N numbers are always messed up by ATC. It's annoying. No matter how you say it they either don't hear it properly or can't remember it correctly.

N82RB

I wanted a 2 digit plus my initials so the only ones left were 75RB and 82Rb
I graduated high school in 82 and 8/2 is 4 so... N82RB it was...

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Family History

N786JM. When I was just 4 years old, my dad got the Southern Pacific Railroad to donate engine number 786 to Austin, Tx to be put in a park on static display. My older brother, who is a train nut, talked the City of Austin into leasing it to him and a few other folks to restore. It ran for some time between Austin and the hill country as an excursion train in the 90's. When I got my plane I thought it would be great to have a 786 of my own, like my dad and brother. The JM are my initials

Jerry Morris,
RV8 - N786JM

Last edited:
Just reserved mine ....

So this thread finally got me to reserve my N number.

I've always had a specific number in since my early RV dreaming days ....

But N46DM is currently on a Beach Barron in Johnstown PA.

So after some creative input from ww2planes I've registered N46UU

46 was my squadron "rocket number", as a pilot in VMO-2 based at Camp Pendleton. That's the specific number I was assigned to use following the squadron callsign "Hostage".

During combat ops in Desert Storm we were assigned a random squadron callsign for opsec but we kept our own rocket.

For IFR ops we used UU, because HOSTAGE was too long to fit in the system, someone came up with UU to represent the inverted horshoe print you might get when kicked in the backside by a Bronco... an OV-10 Bronco that is.

"RV four six uniform uniform" ...... I don't think I'll miss that call....

It's a good tribute to a great squadron (VMO-2) and the mighty Thunder Bronco!!

Now I just need to get it built!!

Last edited:
Took a while to figure out what we wanted for "N". I reserved N74XC because we plan on using our RV-7 for X-Country trips.

Back