What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why did you choose the RV-12?

I am curious to know, how many people will be removing the wings after each flight.
(This is supposed to be a big selling point.)

I am curious to know, how many people will be removing the wings after each flight.
(This is supposed to be a big selling point.)

Just as a point, I've known many people who have built airplanes with removable or folding wings with the intent of removing or folding them regularly. Almost all of them found after several times that it just wasn't practical. About 90% of them ended up leaving the wings on.
Yes, there are exceptions, but they are rare.

RV-12

This one thread has me close to making a decision to purchase the first kit for a 12 and not worry about finding somone who wants to take my ELSA Airborne Edge trike in on a trade for a finished 6 or 7. I can afford to continue to fly that until the 12 is done. At 54 I'm sure I can keep my medical for a few years more but why risk it. The cruise on the 12 is more than twice as fast as my trike anyway! It's all relative...

For the same cost per hour - - - -

Your trike likely uses the same, or similar amounts of fuel per hour, and the RV-12 will go twice as far. For the same cost per hour, you can see a bunch more. At 60 - 70 MPH, the cost per hour is likely way less than your trike.

John Bender

Project selection process

When I was shopping for a sport pilot eligible project, there were three contenders that appeared to meet my mission; the 601XL, the Rans S19, and Van's RV-12. My decision to build the RV12 were based on the following.

The massive overlapping spars; compare that to a 601XL or S19!
Very forward seating for terrific visibility; Best of the bunch
Van's reputation: flawless, in my opinion
Light empty weight
Superb handling qualities; typical RV
Ease of ingress and egress, even for an old man.

Can't wait to get'r flying

Tom

I know this is about why you chose the RV-12 but in light of the recent discussion I just sold my Highlander and my empty weight was 699 on a tailwheel. About 730lbs on a nose wheel. I weigh over 200lbs myself and I have flown quite a few others. It doesn't matter how much fuel you are holding, they all seem to stall around 28mph, or just under 30. Some airspeed indicators don't read that low, and of them that do how accurate are they? Well, the GPS ground speed on a no wind morning was spot on and as hard as it is to believe, that wing just hangs there. We just sat there almost hovering over the mountains. I wouldn't play that close to stall on approach but I knew coming over the fence at 50 gave me more than enough margin for gusts. I really love the RV-12 for various reasons but the Highlander is a very capable plane in the right hands. The speed bleeds off very fast and it is a very draggy plane. Great rough and soft fields, a heavy hauling side by side and a blast to fly.

I'm considering the RV-12, havent chosen it yet.

The only problem I have with it is going to be the view. But this is a problem I have with all front-engined tractors and why I've flown high-engine pushers for most of my career instead (my current plane is a titan tornado).

But if I do go the front-engined tractor/kit LSA route, the RV12 really looks like the best option overall to me. My medical went away permanently at the ripe old age of 37 and I've flown under the SP rule with my private ever since then. So I have to stick with LSA in any event.

And if it flies like a vans and it sounds like it does, it's a winner out of the box IMO.

I havn't yet flown in one tho, which I need to do before starting any long-term plans....

PS: as for the 912, so far my 912ULS on my tornado has been a good engine and hasn't given me any trouble. As the cost continues to grind upward on it, tho, it's getting close to being impractical from a cost standpoint (i.e. the 582 is no longer cost-practical to buy new, for example). At its current cost of 20 grand, it's right on the border of being impractical. If they raise the TBO, tho as they're reportedly going to do, it'll go back into the good-deal range at least for a while.
But depending on how fast the cost goes up, that may end up knocking the RV12 out of the running for me depending on how long it's going to be before I consider a new plane. Rotax's competitors like Jabiru are fixing their engines at a steady rate, increasing their desirability. The USD shows no signs of ever getting better against the EUR and Rotax's appetite for price hikes doesn't look like it's going to wane anytime soon. So I'll just have to wait and see on that.

LS

Last edited:
I agree John. I'm getting hooked on the idea of building a 12. One of my good friends who lives nearby was over last night and he isn't a pilot and doesn't even like flying but was very excited about helping me build it. Maybe about the time I'm ready to make that engine purchase, someone will be ready to by the trike and I'll be set! ;)

Back