What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind Prop Question, 68 in or 72 in performance

macflyer

Hi,
I'm thinking of purchasing a Whirlwind 200 L for my RV 6 IO320. Is there a big difference between the 68 inch and performance? I was just thinking of ground clearance, and if any one has one of these props, would you recommend the purchase?
thanks

I was just thinking of ground clearance ...

A 72" prop is acceptable for the RV-6 and RV-6A. A 74" prop is acceptable for the RV-6A. Although the chart below from Van's is for Hartzell props, it shows the acceptable prop diameters for all models:

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 7.23.06 PM.jpg

Hi,
I'm thinking of purchasing a Whirlwind 200 L for my RV 6 IO320. Is there a big difference between the 68 inch and performance? I was just thinking of ground clearance, and if any one has one of these props, would you recommend the purchase?
thanks

I am looking at the Whirlwind 300 3-Blade prop for my RV-7. It comes in 70inch and 72inch. The guy I spoke with at Whirlwind said the 70inch would give up a little climb performance but have a higher TAS than the 72inch. That sounds appealing as does the additional clearance.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with the 70inch vs 72 inch 3-Blade props?

Back