What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind 200RV vs. Hartzell BA C2YR-1BFP/7497

Quite a while since we have heard about this group buy. Anybody have any news?

Regards, Tonny.

Tonny, go to VAF front page. Doug has a update and audio link from Bob concerning the group buy. Sounds like outstanding info along with a SNF special on PCU 5000 governors.

Way to go VAF and American Propellers

Noah

As soon as Scott Hersha's plane comes out of the paint shop we plan to do some extensive side by side comparisons this spring. We have nearly identical planes/engines, he has the Whirlwind and I have that Hartzell.
Regards

Jon-

Any update on when this testing might begin??

My Weight & Balance w/ Whirlwind 200RV

I had my weight and balance done last week and was very happy with what I ended up with. I have a pretty heavy equipped IFR panel with all kinds of goodies in it (DVD Player, etc). I also have a smoke system that I installed in the baggage compartment. I am happy to say with my Whirlwind 200RV I came out with a total weight of 1134 lbs (less paint). This includes wheel pants, fairings, etc. The CG came out so that I can completely load the plane and maximum weight with me and a passenger and full 100 lbs in the baggage compartment and still be within the CG limits. The prop was also very smooth at first engine start. I am loving this prop so far and cannot wait to see how it performs. Here is my weight and balance calculator for you that want to play around with different weight loads. It is modified a bit due to the smoke system I have in the baggage compartment to calculate weight when the smoke oil tank is full and/or empty.

www.gocodered.com/N507RV-WB-Calculator.xls

Airplane Specs:
RV-7A, Serial #70839
Engine: IO-360-B1BC3, 9 to 1, Roller Lifters, Flow Matched Cylinders, Dual Unison LASAR Ignition, Sky-Tec Starter, Silver Hawk Fuel Injection
Prop: Whirlwind VP-200, Aero Technologies P-520-036/A Governor
Panel: Vertical Power VP-200, AFS 3400EE EFIS, GNS-430W WAAS GPS, GPSMAP 496, SL30 Nav/Com, GTX-330 Transponder w/ Traffic, PMA9000EX Audio Panel, DigiFlight II VSGV Autopilot, Smoking Airplanes SA-101H Smoke System, Sony XAVW1 DVD/Entertainment Unit w/ Sirius Radio & iPod Modules

Nose gear weight

Bryan,

Very nice W&B calculator. I think you could make it even better though! As a nose gear driver, you know how important the maximum load of the nose gear is. This could be calculated automatically, so you know if you stay within the Van?s limits, with your different loading configurations.

Regards, Tonny.

Back