What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which window adhesive?

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
There is a lot of information on process, but I cannot find a discussion on which adhesive is best; SilPruf SCS2000 or Sikaflex 295UV.

What say those that have done this?

Carl

There is a lot of information on process, but I cannot find a discussion on which adhesive is best; SilPruf SCS2000 or Sikaflex 295UV.

Carl
Well, I can't speak to windows on the 10 or the SilPruf but I have used Sika on my 7 tipper and on my under construction 8 (just finished bonding the canopy and windscreen using Sika). Sika is sandable and paintable whereas SilPruf says it isn't paintable. So far I have 6+ years and 750hrs on my 7 flying in our Canadian extremes of summer and winter with no issues. I made some test coupons and it is almost impossible to tear the cured Sika...as long as the surfaces were properly prepped and primed. Sika does require a 1/8" thickness but I had maybe 1/32" - 1/16" on the 7 rear windows and they are still solid. From what I read on the SilPruf site, I think either one will work fine.

Carl
Hi Carl, I did my -10 windows with Silpruf. I did the Sportmans 2+2 window install method with mine. Windows have been in for 7 years now without any issue. Since Silpruf is silicon, make sure you protect any unpainted surfaces because it could cause fisheyes when you paint. There is nothing wrong with Sikaflex but when I did my research I did read that on boats they still recommend a UV tape be placed over the outside. But I doubt the windows in the plane will ever come close to UV exposure a boat is exposed too. I do believe Silpruf is easier to work with.

Hi Carl, I did my -10 windows with Silpruf. I did the Sportmans 2+2 window install method with mine. Windows have been in for 7 years now without any issue. Since Silpruf is silicon, make sure you protect any unpainted surfaces because it could cause fisheyes when you paint. There is nothing wrong with Sikaflex but when I did my research I did read that on boats they still recommend a UV tape be placed over the outside. But I doubt the windows in the plane will ever come close to UV exposure a boat is exposed too. I do believe Silpruf is easier to work with.
I have to agree completely with Rich. While I can’t comment about Sika, installing windows in the -10 with Silpruf, following the Sportsman videos went exceptionally well. Although Silpruf can’t be painted, the exterior boarder around the windows, in my opinion looks very nice In whichever color you choose (black in the case of the -10 we built). I suspect, as others have stated, either will work very well. You can see the work on our Kitlog site starting 1/15/21.

Last edited:

Carl
The only difference I saw in test articles produced the SilPruf could be separated (With a razor knife) more easily than the Sika with primer. (I made samples with and W/O primer using Sika and night and day adhesion difference) Sika with primer is almost impossible to cut away in the event of window replacement. All testing performed 10 days after application. (In a warm environment) I felt the SilPruf was more than adequate to hold the windows and the Sportsman videos were helpful.

Thanks all for the feed. It looks like SilPruf is the preferred option.

Carl
Please DO make sure, if using SilPruf, the product that's shipped to you is of current manufacture. The tubes do have a finite shelf life and you absolutely must respect this shelf life as a hard limit. The only Sportsman windshield bonding failure of which I'm aware is one where the builder used SilPruf which was within days of its labeled expiry date.

Just to mention another option and confuse picture further, I used Lord adhesive. Flying 7 years and no cracks around the windows and no other problems.

Back