What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which tool set??

DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
I am making preparations to start an RV-7 slow build project, and have been looking at tool kits offered by various suppliers. Does anyone have thoughts on which kit is most appropriate and cost effective? Aircraft Spruce @ $2,477, Avery at $2,297 or Brown at $1,499? Aircraft Spruce and Avery look to be very comparable in contents, Brown seems to have a few less items.

I would like to get what I will need in a package, but don't want to buy a bunch of things I won't use.

Thoughts are appreciated!!

Avery

I bought the Avery kit with just a couple of changes. I swapped out the DRDT-2 for the C-frame, and I deleted the squeezer. I then ordered the Main Squeeze from Cleveland.

Thus far, I would do everything exactly the same.

Avery Tools

Avery Tools and I are on the same airport. So I know the store and their people. First Class tools and great customer service. Fine folks!
I recomend Avery Tools

They are all great kits in their own way. If your on a budget, Cleveland tools has a "get me started kit" that will be enough to get you moving forward and learning enough about the tools to have a better understanding of what you'll want later in the build.

Welcome to VAF!

Bill, welcome to VAF----------good to have you here.

I got a buddy to help me with making up a list of items, and bought things ala-carte. Worked out very well for me-----but then, my buddy knew what he was doing. Mostly Avery, with a few things from Cleveland as I recall.

I suggest you look around for a local RV builder who you can sit down with and go over the lists of each vendor.

By the way, your screen name------did you build a Dragonfly by any chance??

Cleaveland Tools Too

As someone else mentioned, Cleaveland tools is an option too. I saw a post on here by Mike Lauritsen of Cleaveland re something else. I emailed him that I was interested in the minimum kit required to do the Van's test project kit 1. They inventoried a kit and set up two new "products" on their Website; one the bare minimum tools using slower methods and another set using methods more typical for a build.

My tools won't be here until Tuesday, and I haven't used any of their tools, but I haven't run across anything negative about their products on VAF or anywhere else. The response I got, personal approachability of Mike and thoroughness mean that if the tools are quality Cleaveland Aircraft Tools will have me as a repeat customer.

-Matt

Isham

Don't forget Isham at www.Planetools.com. They have a nice tool package that includes the DRDT-2 and a pneumatic squeezer (highly recommend). In the end, you will most likely buy tools from just about all the suppliers at one time or another...

Isham tools

I found the fluting tools in the Isham kit to be of very low quality, and too small for enough leverage, particularly on some of the thicker stock. They hurt my hands, and the plastic jaws started to flake off before I was finished the aircraft. I also never used the "speed deburring tool" once, and the drill chuck plastic ring cracked almost immediately. I taped it and carried on...

I purchased mine a couple of years ago so it's possible some of the kit contents have changed. Their website still shows the same fluting pliers however.

When I bought my RV-9 empennage kit I also bought a tool kit from Bob Avery. At the time (about 10 years ago) I'm not sure Isham was in business (at least I had not heard of him) and Cleaveland Tools just didn't make my radar screen for some reason. I'm now working on the finishing kit and I'll make a few observations.

1. I don't think there is any tool in the Avery Kit that I have not used and found to be necessary, which says a lot about how carefully he thought his kit out and what to include and not include. I have added stuff.

2. The quality of the tools in the Avery kit has generally been very good to excellent. The exception was the right angle drill (which gave up after less than an hour of actual use). The countersink cage is marginal, imo and gets too hot, too fast. I still use it but you can find better ones used on e-bay if you look.

3. Dealing with Avery Tool, and Bob Avery in particular is been a great experience. He has been absolutely fair to me at a minimum and one one occasion went well beyond the call of duty. I have bought tools (particularly drill bits) from him because of their quality and because of him.

4. If I were doing it again I'd likely buy the basic kit from Avery (possibly Cleaveland) but I'd delete two items for sure - the aforementioned right angle drill. I'd bite the bullet and buy a good one, not an add on for a drill. Second, I think I'd delete the dimple dies and get them from Cleaveland tool. There's nothing wrong per se with Avery's dies but I think the design is better on the Cleaveland die. Mike Lauritsen seems to be something of a tool design connoisseur. He redesigned the dimple die and the improvement is observable. He's also done this with the Main Squeeze (something else to consider substituting) and I believe a couple of other tools.

5. Somehow (I know this is almost unbelievable) I have managed to drive or squeeze all of the 15,000 +/- rivets so far without either a DDRT-2 or a pneumatic squeezer. If I were doing it again though, I might give both of these a second look. Neither are necessary but both are apparently nice. I figure I save 700-1,000 bucks by not buying these tool (well the DDRT-2 wasn't around when I started). I have no regrets.

6. Don't go cheap with any of your tools. For the ones you use all the time like your drill (and drill bits) bite the bullet and go first class. I love my Sioux drill. Consider at least one tungsten bucking bar.

7. In a related matter, build several EAA tables (I use 3 regularly) to prep and build the smaller parts and assemblies and most important, add lots of light to your shop. Tables and lighting make a big difference in how you're able to use your tools. If I were to add one tool, and oddly I've never seen it mentioned here, it would be a drill doctor. It sharpens bits and once you learn to use it, it's simple and quick to use. Dull bits wonder off, don't cut round holes, are hard to use, etc. Keep your bits sharp. As I recall it was about $100 and was money well spent.

Lots of good suggestions here - I bought the Avery kit myself in 2006. Used every tool, but did get the hand-tighten chuck. Also went for the pneumatic squeezer which I love, but the yokes aren't cheap. The Avery hand squeezer yokes fit their pneumatic as well, so that was a plus - sometimes the hand squeezer is much better. The DRDT-2 would have been nice, but it wasn't available and I was fine with the C Frame.
Don's suggestions were right on (especially the right angle drill), but I would not do the drill doctor. I think it's just as cost effective to buy lots of bits and throw them away when they wear. Buy #40s and #30s in quantity.

Nobody mentioned The Yard Store, and they have kits, as well - http://www.yardstore.com/ For unusual bits, such as reamers, I like Pan American Tool.
John

Quick-build Tool Kit

I've searching the forum and I just can't find any reference to the tools and are 500 Clecos really needed for a Quick build. And do I need a 2X or 3X for this job. Sorry is this sounds like a stupid question, I am just getting started.

Thanks

1. I think you will find most folks have a 3X unless they have more than one rivet gun. 2. You can never have too many clecos. When you are finished with them, you can sell them within minutes here on VAF. Good luck with your build!

tools

Welcome. Another 7. Awesome.
Seems everyone covered the tools pretty well.
I second the time with another builder before spending money.
You will learn so much.
I second the two EAA benches. I used 1/2 for the bottom shelf. I actually built a third for my electric bench tools with the leftover lumber.

Several I won't live without.
Good compressor. Bigger the better. 220v.
My high speed Sioux drill.
I wish I had a Sioux 3x gun and may still buy one.
Mushroom flush rivet set.
Pneumatic squeezer with longeron yoke, 3" yoke, quick change pins and adjustable ram. I use it every day.
Two countersink cages.
Good drill bits. Especially #40 & #30.
Bench drill, sander, band saw, grinder and vise.
Scotch brite wheel for the bench grinder.
Boelube
Caliper
Die grinder
Cut off tool and lots of thin cut off wheels
Stainless rule with 1/64 markings
Architect's rule. I love my aluminum one.
Two plumb bobs
and...
must have...tungsten bucking bar.

add these from the local stores
Fine Sharpies for marking parts
Gorilla tape will hold anything
Book tape makes great rivet tape
Painters tape
Scotch brite pads
1x4x3' of hard wood like walnut
1/2 x 5' or 3/4 pipe for rolling leading edges.
3/4 x 4' x 4' particle board
Laquer thinner
Disposable gloves
Respirator
Paper towels
Floor pads really help the feet
Magnifying glass unless you can read 1/64 markings
Rattle can primer for small parts.
Read the primer wars thread to decide what if any primer you want to use.
Save the old shower liner. They are great for all sorts of things.

CLEAVELAND! Even if you buy Avery you will want the MAIN SQUEEZE rivet squeezer from Cleaveland. (Just do a search for all the praises of that) I got all my stuff from Cleaveland and it was a great build. You do NOT need a right angle drill to build an RV12. (One was useful in doing the gear MOD but doing it as part of the build will not require it, and a cheap attachment worked just fine.

I don't know what is "best" , but I got the full Avery kit and have added a pneumatic squeezer and a few little things, oh, like the engine mount alignment pins. GREAT. I mounted the engine today in 20 min, solo, bolt alignment with the pins was a non-event. I was mostly looking for thin wall box ends that would fit, but I digress.

I have been quite happy with Avery, the tools, tool quality, and service. Nothing against others, but I would go this way again. I just wish there were an alligator hand squeezer for those rivets in a nearly completed airframe.

BTW - i have made more bucking bars . . . well I just don't think you can buy enough of them to fit all situations.

Happy building!

Come visit

Come visit us at 8A7 ,Twin Lakes . I have all the tools, and spent the last 33 years doing metal work..also, I work at TIMCO in GSO. I can give you some tooling advise, and answer any questions you may have. We have 7 RVs at 8A7, and a couple under construction. PM me for details.

Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for all the great input!! I ended up getting the kit from Cleaveland with upgrade to DRDT-2, pneumatic squeezer and tungsten bucking bar. I have been very pleased with it all so far. I am now finishing up the tail components and will be starting on the wings in a week or two.

Back