What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which size crowfoot?!

Pirkka

Well Known Member
As I'm not too familiar with your inches (and inch size tools are not very popular here) and I've been searching few days a net for an answer without finding anything close I decided to write here as I know you have answers for this.

Ordered the torque wrench but as you know I'll need some crowfoots for it to able to use it with AN flares -- if getting the tool, why not using it then. But what sizes of crowfoots I should look for. Would extremely cheap set from Harbour Freight Tools do the job like http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94426 or are there missing sizes and would I need bigger than size 3/4" crowfoot?

Last edited:
Sears has them

I just bought a 10-pieces set from Sears. A little pricey at $49.99 but the set goes up to 1". "Guaranteed forever."

Mike

Thanks for the link Pirkka - couldn't have come at a better time. I just ordered the HF set. I love good quality tools, but for as little use as a crowfoot wrench set will get used by me, I figured I could go cheap. If they break, I'll buy a good set.

The HF crowfoots (crowfeet?) are fine. I got the very same set. Make sure that your torque wrench uses 3/8" sockets otherwise you'll need an adaptor (either 1/4" to 3/8" or 1/2" to 3/8" depending on your wrench)

Now remember most (if not all) of what you'll be torquing with these is measured in inch-pounds. If you are breaking wrenches, you are doing something wrong.

Sears vs Craftsman - Buyer Beware

Buyer beware, tools that have the 'Sears' label on them are not "Guaranteed Forever". Take for example tin snips. They used to say Craftsman on them many years ago then Sears figured out they were giving away too many replacements. :D

Also, Craftsman "precision tools" (if you can call them that) only carry a limited warranty - check the box/paper work. My experience w/ a Craftsman torque wrench fell into that category about 10 years ago. Needless to say, I was not very pleased nor satisfied with Craftsman. So now I limit my Craftsman purchases to mainly wrenches and screw drivers.

Take care,

Prikka...I have had problems w/ a crowfoot rounding the corners off of nuts when torqued to about 25 ft/lbs +, you may want to consider getting a torque wrench extender. The one I use is a short box end wrench to fit the nut and the other end is made to fit the size drive of the torque wrench. You will need to make an adjustment of the torque value because the extra length of the extender will give you more leverage, you can find the formula to calculate the torque setting on the wrench in the 43.13 A/C Manual. I found this works well for me.

Glenn Wilkinson

Prikka...I have had problems w/ a crowfoot rounding the corners off of nuts when torqued to about 25 ft/lbs +, you may want to consider getting a torque wrench extender. The one I use is a short box end wrench to fit the nut and the other end is made to fit the size drive of the torque wrench. You will need to make an adjustment of the torque value because the extra length of the extender will give you more leverage, you can find the formula to calculate the torque setting on the wrench in the 43.13 A/C Manual. I found this works well for me.

Glenn Wilkinson

For $10, HF carries flarenut crowfoot wrenches - these would help prevent rounding.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93137

Back