What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Macfarlane baffle seal kit for RV-10?

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I’m going to replace the baffle seal on my RV-10 and plan to use Macfarlane’s product that is supposed to reduce vibration.

For those RV-10 owners that have gone this route, do you have a part number of the kit you ordered? Macfarlane’s website has many precut kits for certified planes, but I can’t find one specifically for a Lycoming powered RV-10. I’d like to get a precut kit to save time. Even if the kit was for a similar Lycoming IO-540 powered certified plane that I could modify as needed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m going to replace the baffle seal on my RV-10 and plan to use Macfarlane’s product that is supposed to reduce vibration.

For those RV-10 owners that have gone this route, do you have a part number of the kit you ordered? Macfarlane’s website has many precut kits for certified planes, but I can’t find one specifically for a Lycoming powered RV-10. I’d like to get a precut kit to save time. Even if the kit was for a similar Lycoming IO-540 powered certified plane that I could modify as needed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I used this material in my RV=10. I ordered a roll of the 3 or 4” wide material for the side and aft baffles. I used the Van’s material for the front baffle because it conforms more easily than the McFarlane. I then used a strip of the the McFarlane material bonded to the upper cowling for the front baffle material to seal against. All that being said, on my -9A I am using AS&S silicone seals. May experiment with the McFarlane material when it’s flying though. If you watched the demo video McFarlane has or seen their demo display in person, it’s pretty impressive stuff.

I used Mcfarlane cowl saver baffle seal with bi-flex. Installed it in 2018 and has worked well. Nice tight fit against the cowl with no wear marks on the upper cowling so far.

I actually just got done replacing the stock baffle material with McFarlane on my RV-10. I just ordered the 156”x3” roll and used almost all of it. It’s a super product and found it much, much easier to work with and fit than the standard stuff.

Thanks for the responses

Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds like the best way to go is to just order the 3” roll and cut it to fit.

Back